RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Hello Picadilly, I notice something in your tooth image.
Looks like the door is hinged to open towards the person not outward which would be the logical way to yank a tooth out...:+] Small detail that may have been missed if that is the case.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 AM

I know) the problem is that all doors in my flat open like that )

(it's just a concept)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 AM

Hey guys!!! I just UNSUBSCRIBED from thsi thread, I am so tired of having my mailbox filled with notifications on whos falling short of being dave hill, Im so excited!!!! I cant wait to not hear that stupid fkn mail chime not going off anymore every two minutes! awesome! Carry on!!!! best of luck on your quests
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post

Mtmm,on this forum is many people who has talent, ideas and skill but they hasn't professional camera, lens and strobe lights !!! Maybe you can take my NIKON D80+ 18-200VR DX and show me your skill with this shitty camera ?
http://www.chasejarvis.com/index.php...0&p=5&a=0&at=0
Chase Jarvis shot all with an iphone
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 AM

Yeah, let shoot with an iphone!!! C'mon bro, what's your point?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 04:39 PM

great skill, crappy camera = great pictures.
thats the point
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 PM

Well... those pictures are impossible for a DH Styling. But yeah, some of those pictures are interesting but, after passing years taking amazing pictures, and this my own experience, I can see a lot of difference between an iphone, what's in the middle, and top notch cameras. Same experience as the retoucher I am of my own pictures and pictures from different clients and I can say that your point is quite extremist in order to probe something which is more a technical matter than artistic. For artistic matters we can use whatever thing available to trace the light but, for shocking sci-fi looking pictures, the best gear, the best results. It's an straight formula, and of course, talent.
There are not needs to have a great equipment of lights and cameras if we want to frame and shot. If the framing is good and also the subject is interesting in certain manner, then we have a good photo.
What's a good photo, you may ask. Well, that will depend on what people think is a "piece of art". The more people like your stuff, the more "artistic" the stuff will be and also the more desire will generate your now, "artistic", stuff.
So you start by having just a picture, then you have many people who like the picture and that people says it's art, so now you have an artistic picture, and people wish to have your picture, so you have not only an artistic picture, now you have an artistic picture who is really amazing. But, people also wants to know how you do your thing, so now, you have not only an artistic and desired amazing picture, you also have a myth around you! and a mythic picture that everybody wants to demystificate!!!! So well, you have lot of things!!! And plus the ovation from public, girls that show off their thingie as well, Apple sending e-mails toward your e-mail and phoning you all the day and all that stuff... That can be achieved with an iphone, of course. But, if you want to work seriously, you will need more than an iphone to become that great guy that all people talked about once upon a time in retouchPRO.com and who knows where more. There are 2 big difference between become an artist and become a professional: the artist doesn't know what the hell is doing, he just does it and the professional, all the opposite. That's basically, my point. There are other points as well. For example, the model or subject. It's not the same a picture of some famous naked celebrity than a fat ass anonymous deform and almost distinguishable shape of woman lit with the built in camera flash. Of ccourse, most people will choose the celebrity. Even if the photo of the female mammalian is really nice, people will chose the celebrity. And here you have a point, if you like digging. "People like the celebrity". Well yeah, most people like what's or who's in the photo, what or who have been portrayed, the subject/model it self instead the way it was portrayed. Nobody will like the most artistic photo you can achieve of a potato, but do the same shot and replace the potato for a sexy girl or similar and WOW!!! What a great photo!!!! Oh, oh, La, La!!! Faint everywhere!!!! Hails for the photographer!!! What a photographer!!!! Wow!!!! Incredible!!! and all that stuff... Same happens with HDRi, same happens with Dave Hill, Joey and the like, that's why I said, around 30 pages ago that Dragan IS THE ARTIST, the others, just retouchers with impersonal techniques (we have seen several "DH" techniques and links to other retouchers/photographers around here, and even the good copies are just that: copies) and horrible photographers skills. Retouching a picture is good, nice like oral pleasure, but, if any photographer can achieve the same intense feelings almost without altering the picture... well, you have a great photographer there, but remember, what's good, at this point:

1) the photographer?
2) the subject?
3) The technique?

That must be taken into account. Of course, the photographer must be the great, not the subject, nor the technique. Just the photographer.
So, I think that "the gear" has nothing to do here since what really matters for the masses are point 2 and then point 3. Point 3 matters to the unskillful and/or curious people while for few people will care most about the photographer, his life, his thoughts, experiences, etc. The person behind the camera, and not the person before the camera. But, for that, the photographer must show her/himself through the photos, otherwise, the photographer will be showing the subject before the camera, and that's quite common, more in photography because the quality of "mirror" of the photography itself.

Last edited by Quantum3Studio; 04-29-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
Well... those pictures are impossible for a DH Styling. But yeah, some of those pictures are interesting but, after passing years taking amazing pictures, and this my own experience, I can see a lot of difference between an iphone, what's in the middle, and top notch cameras. Same experience as the retoucher I am of my own pictures and pictures from different clients and I can say that your point is quite extremist in order to probe something which is more a technical matter than artistic. For artistic matters we can use whatever thing available to trace the light but, for shocking sci-fi looking pictures, the best gear, the best results. It's an straight formula, and of course, talent.
There are not needs to have a great equipment of lights and cameras if we want to frame and shot. If the framing is good and also the subject is interesting in certain manner, then we have a good photo.
What's a good photo, you may ask. Well, that will depend on what people think is a "piece of art". The more people like your stuff, the more "artistic" the stuff will be and also the more desire will generate your now, "artistic", stuff.
So you start by having just a picture, then you have many people who like the picture and that people says it's art, so now you have an artistic picture, and people wish to have your picture, so you have not only an artistic picture, now you have an artistic picture who is really amazing. But, people also wants to know how you do your thing, so now, you have not only an artistic and desired amazing picture, you also have a myth around you! and a mythic picture that everybody wants to demystificate!!!! So well, you have lot of things!!! And plus the ovation from public, girls that show off their thingie as well, Apple sending e-mails toward your e-mail and phoning you all the day and all that stuff... That can be achieved with an iphone, of course. But, if you want to work seriously, you will need more than an iphone to become that great guy that all people talked about once upon a time in retouchPRO.com and who knows where more. There are 2 big difference between become an artist and become a professional: the artist doesn't know what the hell is doing, he just does it and the professional, all the opposite. That's basically, my point. There are other points as well. For example, the model or subject. It's not the same a picture of some famous naked celebrity than a fat ass anonymous deform and almost distinguishable shape of woman lit with the built in camera flash. Of ccourse, most people will choose the celebrity. Even if the photo of the female mammalian is really nice, people will chose the celebrity. And here you have a point, if you like digging. "People like the celebrity". Well yeah, most people like what's or who's in the photo, what or who have been portrayed, the subject/model it self instead the way it was portrayed. Nobody will like the most artistic photo you can achieve of a potato, but do the same shot and replace the potato for a sexy girl or similar and WOW!!! What a great photo!!!! Oh, oh, La, La!!! Faint everywhere!!!! Hails for the photographer!!! What a photographer!!!! Wow!!!! Incredible!!! and all that stuff... Same happens with HDRi, same happens with Dave Hill, Joey and the like, that's why I said, around 30 pages ago that Dragan IS THE ARTIST, the others, just retouchers with impersonal techniques (we have seen several "DH" techniques and links to other retouchers/photographers around here, and even the good copies are just that: copies) and horrible photographers skills. Retouching a picture is good, nice like oral pleasure, but, if any photographer can achieve the same intense feelings almost without altering the picture... well, you have a great photographer there, but remember, what's good, at this point:

1) the photographer?
2) the subject?
3) The technique?

That must be taken into account. Of course, the photographer must be the great, not the subject, nor the technique. Just the photographer.
So, I think that "the gear" has nothing to do here since what really matters for the masses are point 2 and then point 3. Point 3 matters to the unskillful and/or curious people while for few people will care most about the photographer, his life, his thoughts, experiences, etc. The person behind the camera, and not the person before the camera. But, for that, the photographer must show her/himself through the photos, otherwise, the photographer will be showing the subject before the camera, and that's quite common, more in photography because the quality of "mirror" of the photography itself.
BAM! Well said

Back in the day the "amazing photographers" daily rate or pay was oral pleasure from the talent in front of the camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 AM

HAha... Yeah. However, tehre are some photographers that have done great photos in those days. I personally like a lot the fashion photography from this guy, let me check it...Okay, I found a sheet of paper where I have his name: Milton H. Greene. And I have a photo that he took and I like it very much, will see if I found the pic... Nope, just Marilyn Monroes all around Google... Well, I like many pictures taken by him. Some of his pics are the exception, but well, exceptions are the real thing. Anyway, you know how's nowadays, exceptions are killed by editorials standardization. You know, the image is thought among designers, analyzed by psychologists and marketers, re designed again and I don't really know how much steps before going with the photographer and the photographer only shot the idea of a group of people that only cares what's on the main stream, of course, so the photographer just "push" a button, or, better said, the photographer is just another puppet, same the model, so there is not so grateful thing like pushing a button either. Then, the image goes to the photoretoucher.
I'm more a photoretoucher than a photographer, professionally talking, and, from my point of view, there're much more fun and possibilities to express myself through retouching than photographing subjects. You can read many books about photography and most famous back in the day photographers that have passed through many editorials, adding spice in each part of their travels. Now there are just employees instead photographers... It's sad, but true.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 AM

HAha... Yeah. However, tehre are some photographers that have done great photos in those days. I personally like a lot the fashion photography from this guy, let me check it...Okay, I found a sheet of paper where I have his name: Milton H. Greene. And I have a photo that he took and I like it very much, will see if I found the pic... Nope, just Marilyn Monroes all around Google... Well, I like many pictures taken by him. Some of his pics are the exception, but well, exceptions are the real thing. Anyway, you know how's nowadays, exceptions are killed by editorials standardization. You know, the image is thought among designers, analyzed by psychologists and marketers, re designed again and I don't really know how much steps before going with the photographer and the photographer only shot the idea of a group of people that only cares what's on the main stream, of course, so the photographer just "push" a button, or, better said, the photographer is just another puppet, same the model, so there is not so grateful thing like pushing a button either. Then, the image goes to the photoretoucher.
I'm more a photoretoucher than a photographer, professionally talking, and, from my point of view, there're much more fun and possibilities to express myself through retouching than photographing subjects. You can read many books about photography and most famous back in the day photographers that have passed through many editorials, adding spice in each part of their travels. Now there are just employees instead photographers... It's sad, but true.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching