RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

I am a photographer, not retoucher or photoretoucher, so i care mostly about my photos out of camera [or even on camera LCD] before it is going through any editing software, if i got it right then this is all what matter, if not then i am sure i will waste my time on one photo to retouch while it is not good enough to start with even.

To be honest about DH or someone like him, they playing with two things, dealing with the lighting very well, so he is or even his assistants care much about how the lights, so when he will get the light correct or right, then he can think if he should apply his technique or not, so anyone here who is a master in lighting can beat DH or to be like him not difficult at all, now what after getting the right correct lighting shots, here we should talk about more, DH or any of his retouchers do a great job retouching the right shots, there are a lot of layer masking, blending, D&B and so to get his looks, as i said before and i will always saying it, DH never get his style out of his camera, i challenge anyone to go to him and check his RAW files, i am sure it will be same as anyone here can do with great lighting, but what after that is personal game, for example my landscape HDR got a lot of comments, even i didn't do much but many asking me how i did that, and when i post the original all got blown away that i did a great job for HDR, so it is not the original shot, it is the retouching process simply, and here in this thread people are trying with the retouching process and not the out of camera shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 AM

Oh my god... This thread is so loooooooooooooonnngggggg!

Anyway, read some of the most recent posts... I have to agree with some members here, equipment is not as important as skills. Although equipment is necessary to produce good works, it only serves to provide us with less barrier towards what we want. In other words, good equipment allows us to go to endless possibilities, provided we have the skills and know how to reach it. Having professional equipment does not guarantee anyone that their images are better than pictures taken with a normal decent camera.

I am very interested in how Dave Hill produces his post processing techniques. I also noticed some members here are able to produce better, if not on par with Dave Hill.

Here is a link to my Flickr. All my images were shot using my D80 and my 18-55 VR lens with a combination of 1 SB800 and 2 SB600 Speedlights.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeckson/collections/72157614422002610/

Although they are not comparable to what Dave Hill and some of other members here can produce, they are not bad or lousy images either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Similar retouching to Dave Hill but this retoucher shows case studies with before and afters...

http://www.real-fake.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeckson View Post
All my images were shot using my D80 and my 18-55 VR lens with a combination of 1 SB800 and 2 SB600 Speedlights.
LOL...
C'mon. An SB800 costs about as much as a 600ws strobe and the SB600's cost more than two Alien Bee 400's. Its not exactly like your making your shots with a 1mp point and shoot and a couple flashlights.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Roll over effect of my attempt:
http://ciebiera.eu/retusze/someanothertry/
Huge greets for Cypisek and Czarusek
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM

that looks really good wojciech... like the total end result!!! super work!!! so being now that you posted the image will you be giving a tut on how you achived it? hope so...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 02:16 PM

Newbie Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Hi Guys. Here is my attemp for his look, but i tried to add a bit of my style (i used a leica compact cam) Let me know what u think?

CheerS Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe.jpg (82.4 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 10:23 PM

I think it's ok... doesn't really jump for me but it's not bad either... would be nice to see the orginal image too...

checking back to see if wojciech has replied back on what his steps where...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 03:39 AM

Dave is talented and creative. I have tried a variety of techniques, but not the ones that he employs quite yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 AM

Here is a quick attemp of the GangstaZ Took me about 15min...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gangsta.jpg (95.2 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching