RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:59 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeActor View Post
Yes this is true - many photographers in the world can do something that looks like DH. Dave says that he isn´t a Photoshop Guru. I think he is a Light Guru with a good eye and creativity to create Photostorys and this would be the Key to make this style.
Here is my result: before/after
Good good start Time, now what is your lighting set-up?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Hi Fade and thx!
This is lowbudget photography.
I use 2 Speedlights with an Sobo and the other with an Beauty Dish radiocontrolled (wireless)
Nothing special. I´m not so good with light that i´ll going in july to an coaching to calvin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadewoodarts View Post
@Tareq

Dave Hill does *not* 100% use lucisart and/or HDR for any of his images. As quoted in many of his interviews, if I have to I will post one of his interview's on here.

DH: "A lot of guys are looking for a quick fix, and if I put just an hour or two into my image, I'm pretty sure it would look like those on the forums...I definitely don't use any HDR or LucisArt.. whatever that stuff is.. and I've seen that stuff and it's kind of funny, and it's sad that people associate my name with that crap which is pretty bad and unfortunate."

It really seems like hes getting tired of Lucisart, IMO Lucisart is cool for some things, but many people are using it and saying it get's them the DH look, and they are really only getting 30% of it with horrible shadow detail lol.
Dave is using some form of HDRing and if you deny that you and he are both fools!!!
Lucis art, anything of likes is a form of HDR and so is shaow and highlights.
They are using the basic algorithyms to get a similar effect.
I have been shooting for 20 years, way before dave hill and I can garantee you he using some form of HDR.
He even has it on his videos where half the background have been replaced.
You can get the danymaic range, so even merging a shot shot in the street during the day like he does then putting into a shot shot at night is another form of HDR or gaining the highest dynamic range which is impossible from one image, even with raw.

Beleive what you will, but dave hill is not going to say, yeh I use lucis or HDring. he is not going to tell his secret.
I for one beleive he use the contrast maskig routine with lots of dodging and burning and just lots of work in post for sure. No lighting is going to give you that cartooned retocuh to all hell look.
This has been stated SO MANY times.
Yes the light is part of the formula, but only 30-40% of it.
Period.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Dave is using some form of HDRing and if you deny that you and he are both fools!!!
Lucis art, anything of likes is a form of HDR and so is shaow and highlights.
They are using the basic algorithyms to get a similar effect.
I have been shooting for 20 years, way before dave hill and I can garantee you he using some form of HDR.
He even has it on his videos where half the background have been replaced.
You can get the danymaic range, so even merging a shot shot in the street during the day like he does then putting into a shot shot at night is another form of HDR or gaining the highest dynamic range which is impossible from one image, even with raw.

Beleive what you will, but dave hill is not going to say, yeh I use lucis or HDring. he is not going to tell his secret.
I for one beleive he use the contrast maskig routine with lots of dodging and burning and just lots of work in post for sure. No lighting is going to give you that cartooned retocuh to all hell look.
This has been stated SO MANY times.
Yes the light is part of the formula, but only 30-40% of it.
Period.
Snook
Well you just summed it up for me lol, HDR is put into effect when doing what he does, but I think what I was getting at was just the fact of plugins.

-Fade
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 PM

After reading this thread I understand the part of the lighting setup to get kind-of-dave-hill pictures. But I still don't get the post process in photoshop.

I mean what do you do in Photoshop to get the sharpened look with almost no cyan color?

Fade, your images are great. What's the photoshop process after the shooting?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM

Thumbs up Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr View Post
After reading this thread I understand the part of the lighting setup to get kind-of-dave-hill pictures. But I still don't get the post process in photoshop.

I mean what do you do in Photoshop to get the sharpened look with almost no cyan color?

Fade, your images are great. What's the photoshop process after the shooting?
Thanks JVR

Process:
Camera Raw Adjustments - Sharpening - Skin Retouch - Necessary D&B - Adjustment Layers numerous times with levels, curves etc, and then final touches with playing with colors and gradients.

Note: This will most likely stay my process and I am looking forward to doing my work with a higher end camera whenever I get that chance. Someday...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 02:52 AM

Hi Fade,

I really like your work, but I think you should tone doen the surface blur or whatever. As When you look at DH's in the majority of his shots, you can still make out skin textures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Thumbs up Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Hi Fade,

I really like your work, but I think you should tone doen the surface blur or whatever. As When you look at DH's in the majority of his shots, you can still make out skin textures.
Hello, and yeah I agree with you, im trying to, but with only 6.3 MP of Picture, unless im taking a really close shot, I can't make out any good skin textures that I am happy with and anywhere close to DH status. So basically I will probably just do skin smoothing for most of my works until I am able to upgrade to a higher end camera system. I will try to do a shot for you guys though and do very little skin smoothing and see what i can come up with with just 6MP.

Here is a shot I did last summer, up close and personal, it was actually just a shot I didn't intend to get, but turned out hilarious. LOL

http://www.fadewoodarts.com/oldpatredone.jpg

Last edited by Fadewoodarts; 05-28-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2009, 06:00 AM

I am still thinking that Dave Hill using Lucis Art slightly, i didn't say he is using HDR, i got something closer to his style but Lucis Art but not with HDR, unless his is playing with Background as HDR then the rest of subjects are using different techniques, and i took millions of photos from many cameras including cameras he is using and make sure the exposure or lighting is top notch and still can't get anything closer to Dave Hill, as long he will not tell secret and we didn't see any of his "Before" shots then we will never get the answer, but i worked on some photos of others where the lighting and the processing [already processed] is really nice and not so far from DH, then i added Lucis Art, i feel like i got DH exactly, just need more editing for shadows and highlight and it will be DH exactly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 AM

Has any one checked Jim's site lately? I like to watch his evolution and he has been doing this for quite some time? Is DH and Jim the same or different?

http://www.fiscusphoto.com/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching