RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Everyone, beware, Snook is pissed off Come back girl when your perioid is over

Our girlie Snook is bouncing full sunlight with 2 mirrors everywhere, indoors, at night, when its raining......

Ms. Snook - sometimeretoucher (yes, indeed http://www.ericknorpp.com/content/bi...large/0021.jpg)

Last edited by Mtmm; 06-17-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post
it is my bodybuilder
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5325/blazejpaker.jpg
and
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7...ompkismall.jpg
and
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8...nt1024x600.jpg

but I haven't got a lamps only sun on the sky maybe some day I will buy cool flash lamps and softbox.

Mtmm, I still analyse your style and I have many question. I dont't understand this:

--highpass/gaussian smoothing in linear light blending (very effective and clean with right numbers)--

ussualy you are working in RGB or CMYK?During your retouche Do you jumping between mode chanell? first you started with RGB, then change on CMYK...LAB...?

thanks for your before&after. you are great photographer and retoucher. I am always interesting your before&after so you can often put on forum photos. Thanks

Philip
JAja I like your pics Polish friend. They looks pretty neat and sharpen, I really like yours... By the way, why Polish people os so in love with gas masks and abandoned industries?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM

I see war here... Pretty funny, by the way... I'm wondering if DH reads this forum. He should, and sell a DVD with this XD
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 AM

Snook and Mtmm, can we please stop the flaming of each other, it was funny at first but like this thread in general, it's starting to wear thin!

Mtmm, I do have one question I'd like you to answer, and that is, why won't you share your post processing technique on this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to try and understand how Dave processes his images. Your technique has gone very close as we have seen from your before and after shots so why not share it?

If you are only prepared to post your images, and not explain your workflow then people rightly or wrongly are just going to think you are showing off.

It is for this reason that I think Snook is frustrated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Matt
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 AM

Im not showing of anymore as you can see. I post photos only if asked b/a. And yes, Snook is so frustrated and Im laughing my ass off every time she opens her mouth.

What comes to workflow, lights first, then photoshop. Some of you are trying to go around that light part and we can see what that generates....shit. And then everyone is wannabe Scot Kelby, trying to hit every option to the max.

Try to retouch a photo so that it does not scream from mile away "Im a trigger happy high pass user and Im married with lucis". Look at that link from Snooks portfolio, jesus christ, someone teach her some photoshop, I wont.

You have to master light, then its time to use that skill of generating enough good highlites to right part of the image.

And Im not claiming here that I master light, but I use lights, Im not sitting home and wanking every option in photoshop to the max.

And someone, give snook some testosterone, that estrogen is taking over. And snook, when you know even a bit of photoshop, then you can run your mouth.

Photoshop cannot be the absolute value, you must always make an image. Everyone has an image to start with, then they are just making thousand and one ways to fuck it up. Leave it like that if you dont know when photoshop is overkill.

Over and out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 AM

With respect Mtmm, you haven't answered my question.

I agree, understanding basic principles of flash is key to understanding the Dave Hill look, but then post processing is also a must.

It is quite obvious from your before and after shots that in addition to the use of flash, and subsequent dodge and burning, you are doing something else to your shots.

What i think would be very helpful to everyone on the board is if you could provide a workflow for just one of your shots.

I totally understand if you do not want to do this, but again, if you are not, I really don't see what you are contributing to this specific thread.

As a helpful suggestion, why not start a new thread where you can showcase before and after examples of your work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post
Hi Thanks Quantum3Studio Yes it is true we like old factory, abandoned industries, old houses etc, but I don't know why maybe because there is specific atmosphere, mood, spirit. I feel good in place like this, i like old school atmosphere This is cool contrast= new clean car+old, dirty, rusty, abandoned place or new beautiful , big building+old retro car, you know what I mean. cool and interesting composition,scenery is very important.

http://cypisek666.deviantart.com/art...y-01-119259971
http://cypisek666.deviantart.com/art/Driver-120097204

Philip
Good... You have an account in DA, will watch you right now
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 AM

Sorry if my posts are not usefull to anyone. I dont have to post here then anymore. So dont ask for before after in the future.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM

Mtmm,

Apologies in advance if I offended you, but how do you feel before and after shots would be beneficial to anyone, without explaining what you have done?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Mtmm,

Apologies in advance if I offended you, but how do you feel before and after shots would be beneficial to anyone, without explaining what you have done?
I posted those just when Cypi asked. I get most info when some pro reveals BA. To me is enough to see what has changed, it does not matter how it has been changed. I dont need a hand to guide me through a workflow, I love to explore by myself and make my own workflows.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching