RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

You can see his retoucher on the plane retouching for him. He is not retouching himself.
Also someone mentioned that his newer stuff looks smoother, well it has to be b/c he is shooting Women which will not tolerate his grungy over done look like the gold tooth rappers do and men in general. He had to tone it down for sure.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2009, 06:37 PM

It is lighting, i saw many shots by others which are same or better than Dave Hill just with lighting, and without any processing, so if they process maybe they will get something outstanding and Dave Hill is not only one, he is so talented and great photographer but he was lucky that the techniques he used spread out that time so widely which gave him credits, but in the future many will alter another techniques that kick his technique.

To be honest, his technique is not so difficult to achieve with great lighting and good shots to start with, but really i love "Dragan" style much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post

To be honest, his technique is not so difficult to achieve with great lighting and good shots to start with
Then go for it. I am 100% sure, that even with Dave taking photos, you could not make those images, sorry.

There are lots of folks who just dont see the difference between shitty photoshop and Dave Hill. You can see that just by browsing this thread. Calvin and Pelle has their own styles, but not even close Dave. Dave just raised a bar so fucking high that we all can just shut up. We dont ever get to that level, sorry.

[/end thread]
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 PM

Mtmm...you're stuff is pretty damn close and I figured if you had his equipment you would be close to the same.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
mtmm...you're stuff is pretty damn close and i figured if you had his equipment you would be close to the same.
+++++100
:-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
Dave just raised a bar so fucking high that we all can just shut up. We dont ever get to that level, sorry.
I agree his new stuff is incredible. It really says a lot about an artist who can continually be progressive with his craft.

In regards to showing his friend on the plane doing a bit of retouching. I'm sure there are a few others that have a hand in the retouching process but I guarantee they are just doing some of the dirty work. (IE. sectioning masks of the photo etc.) In many interviews Dave Hill has said that he himself does the retouching and spends hours on each photo.

Dave Hill has really stepped up his game with his new images. The retouching has been refined.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 AM

No matter how you try, Dave is Dave. Itīs better to build an own style than be a wannabe copycat.

What better equipment? I believe that Pelle has all the tools to make what ever light setup he wants, and so do I. Itīs not the lights anymore, that is not the dificult part. What Dave does with his new photos, is just awesome. That is fucking art, technical shit, true skills.

Even if we had Dave himself retouching, it would not be the same. This all comes to the fact, that you need

- Good idea
- Good locations
- Good model
- Good light setup
- Good composition (masking, perspectives)
- Good clean retouching
- Lots of time
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
No matter how you try, Dave is Dave. Itīs better to build an own style than be a wannabe copycat.

What better equipment? I believe that Pelle has all the tools to make what ever light setup he wants, and so do I. Itīs not the lights anymore, that is not the dificult part. What Dave does with his new photos, is just awesome. That is fucking art, technical shit, true skills.

Even if we had Dave himself retouching, it would not be the same. This all comes to the fact, that you need

- Good idea
- Good locations
- Good model
- Good light setup
- Good composition (masking, perspectives)
- Good clean retouching
- Lots of time

- Good Hot Models...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 AM

Like all of us he wants to get better...plus he wants/needs to stay a step ahead...otherwise he is just "one trick pony"
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Like all of us he wants to get better...plus he wants/needs to stay a step ahead...otherwise he is just "one trick pony"
That is just so stupid. Dave has pretty many tricks to achieve his style, and that style sells. Any of you donīt have even one trick to do anything, so shut up.

Or should Dave say to his customers "I want do do this experiment, lets do this overkill with high pass filter and make your album cover look like shit".

One pony trick, my god, this thread is getting to a state of total idiotism.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching