RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Interesting thread, but i couldn't read all 69 pages. I did a retouch for a girl and she told me I was using the dave hill method. I had no clue who he was. Interesting I can see some of the likenesses, but he is way better than me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadewoodarts View Post
I'm sticking with Alienbees, since they do the same shit really expensive lights do, and you can get the same effect lol.

PLUS Dave Hill uses alienbees and white lightnings.. both by Paul C Buff.
Alien Bees do NOT do the same thing as expensive lights.. if they did, Alien Bees would be the industry standard, along with all of paul c buff's products. The number one difference in the alien bees and any expensive lighting distributor is color consistency. It's the most daunting and useless task trying to color correct an image where two light sources are almost 500-1000k off. I will say though, for the price it is unmatched, but when I have the chance I'll rent or use better equipment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Do not be confused. The "really expensive lights", are top professional systems. They cost thousands of dollars because they make photographers thousands of dollars. What they offer can not be matched at lower price points, simply put. Calibrated, consistent color and power output are critical requirements that professionals recognize and demand.

If your starting out- yes I recommend the alien bees. Great set to start with. I own a couple myself and they are lovely small units. I also own a Hensel system and regularly rent Profoto.

Fadewoodarts: You are wrong. They do not do the same thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:40 PM

I may be wrong in the sense of the alien bees not being as calibrated or as color corrected as the expensive pro lighting set ups, but they can still be used in a professional manner. I can't afford a $4000 two light set up just to get consistent kelvins and power output. My point is, is that I wasn't trying to say Alien-bees are the BEST, and are unmatched by the more professional set ups out there, but that Dave Hill uses Alien-bees, and White Lightnings on his shoots, and I'm sure he has used or rented really expensive lights as well, but even if the Alien-bees don't have consistent kelvins, their power is fine, and what you see that DH has done with Paul C. Buff equipment is pretty damn nice for $500 or $800 strobes. I myself work with them, and I'm fine with sticking with them and saving my money until I can afford some "higher end" strobes to do some studio work with. I rent Profoto and Calumet set ups when i get the chance so i can get more power than the Alien-bees, but could care less owning them or not. Yes i could have elaborated more about what "Alienbees do the same shit as more expensive lights" What I meant by that was that they do everything fine for me since I'm a student nor do i have a studio to use expensive lights.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
What is a good midpriced lighting kit to invest in?
The new Calumet Travelite Wireless set ups are pretty nice, and they are mid priced.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Yes to be fair, Alien Bees are fine to work with in many situations- and for Dave Hill's work I can see how working with the Bee's are probably are good fit.

For higher end work though- like high end fashion and high end advertising, the color output and the power output are really necessary to be spot on. It's such a hard thing to describe- but even though profoto likes to brag about it in their literature, it's sometimes true that you can tell just from the photo that profoto has been used. I know, it sounds corny but as you go along in your career you find that the things you might have taken for granted in the beginning all work up to be the tiny critical points that make your image look 'real' when you become a pro.

All that said- I do own bee's myself and I'll hold onto them yet. Very handy. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 AM

The amount of high-end work that has been done with low-end lights, like dyna-lights, is innumerable. Get lights you can afford, get to know their characteristics, how to modify them, and make art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
The amount of high-end work that has been done with low-end lights, like dyna-lights, is innumerable. Get lights you can afford, get to know their characteristics, how to modify them, and make art.

Amen, that is what I was trying to say all in two sentences.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadewoodarts View Post
Amen, that is what I was trying to say all in two sentences.
You're an example what can be accomplished with modest equipment and a grand vision. Keep it up!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
You're an example what can be accomplished with modest equipment and a grand vision. Keep it up!
That means a lot Flash! Thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching