RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_kino View Post
Nmeunier. Nice job

the skin smoothing you've done is a little out of lightrooms scope, care to elaborate on this?

dont take this the wrong way, but after 2000 posts most people know that dave hills style is mainly lighting, however there is a fair amount of photoshop work, hence the topic for discussion here at retouchpro.....which is mainly photoshop orientated.
Skin smoothing in lightroom or photoshop : absolutly not, just a Beauty Dish. That's the point of my first post : everybody see a lot of photoshop, where there is only a good light.

Dodge & Burn on the left... no, just a small soft box with a Nikon SB800.

Here is the completly untouched pictures http://nmeuni01.free.fr/Elodie-1179-untouched.jpg

To achieve the look of the final version, I have only touch the basic modification in lightroom, no local modification (and modifiy just a bit the shape of the skirt) :
- contrast, black, recovery, additional light, clarity.

Regards
Nicolas

Last edited by nmeunier; 10-21-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Nicolas, that is a beautiful shot, and nicely lit. Like it very much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 01:00 PM

the original looks good nmeunier

here's where i'm at with my dave hill (sort of) look. not there by a long shot, but i'm getting closer. 3 lights, two rear one front in a softbox over head. Dodged and burnt in photoshop using the soft light method.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/...a8758d60_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_kino View Post
the original looks good nmeunier

here's where i'm at with my dave hill (sort of) look. not there by a long shot, but i'm getting closer. 3 lights, two rear one front in a softbox over head. Dodged and burnt in photoshop using the soft light method.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/...a8758d60_o.jpg
Very Nice!

I have now 5 flashs, waiting for some softbox to arrive! Hard to wait to experiment!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 AM

That's great danny, love the processing and what looks like some expensive bokeh there . Looks more like Joel Grimes than Hill... and that's nothing to scoff at either!

Would you care to elaborate on the D&B method? I assume you are painting on a grey layer set to soft light, but is there any more fine tuning i.e. the use of burning mid-tones to enhance the grittiness?

Don't take this the wrong way nmeunier but the original (in my opinion) is better than the edit... maybe just a tad of contrast on the model/remove dust spots in the sky and you would have a fantastic image out of camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 AM

ps Calvin has a new Webinar coming up that I'm really looking forward to! Hope you're all in
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM

nmeunier,

You may not want to do your contrast totally in Lr. Your shadow/highlight transitions have an orange discoloration.

The original's quality is superb, and was kind of destroyed with the over editing. PS has more control and options when it comes to non-destructive options.

Can't wait to see your next work, that D3 is putting out some nice work. Makes me want to upgrade...

-Keven

P.S. Let me know if you want me to take the picture down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elodie-1179-untouched-KA.jpg (95.3 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM

jamesbateman

Thanks......I actually was looking at joel grimes work before the shoot, so i'll take that compliment
just re-looking at the PS file. your right there's some other stuff going on, which is quite a lot of the look before the D&B. I used 5 curve layers with luminosity masks. 2 for higlights, 2 for shadows and one for midtones. fine tuned them a bit with the paint brush after applying. the curves were simple one point curves in the right places, pulling up or down. the masks came from the select color, from the select menu. theres better ways of producing these, but i'm happy with the speed of making them this way.These curves achieved a lot of the look.
The dodge and burn was done on a soft light 50% grey layer, painting with white and black low opacity brushes.

all lighting done with speedlights and CLS. and shot on a D80. i do have the 17-55m 2.8 though, such a nice lens. oh if i could only afford some alien bees, but then i'd need to learn how to drive so i could carry all that crap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM

igot2pman had a good crack at nmeunier's image. Agree with PS for control of the local adjustments. Sometimes I look back at my images and prefer the original... but then i suppose retouching is an aquired taste, we all get there eventually.

danny, with these curves adjustments... are you saying that its similar to the luminocity masks? (theres a great action available to d/l on this site somewhere). I just cant see what would benifit when d&b would suffice? I have tried the luminocity masks, but found them to be so precise, that I ended up making the image look worse because I had too much control
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 05:34 PM

james, yeah they're luminosity masks. ive not used the actions, so cant comment on their usability. For me the luminosity masks are a faster means to an ends. d&b has far more control obviously. i basically set them up and then masked out areas that the luminosity masks screwed up. they don't work great on the whole image. its the carving of certain highlights and shadows that i look for , which can save a bit of time. i'd say most of the time i just use the d&b soft light method, but ive had good success with using them with this type of lighting.

Just had a quick look at your flickr.....will look more tomorrow...."they sink ships" shot looks great!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching