RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Looks very good xfx. How did you do it? Even after reading this thread I`m still not sure how you guys do it....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 AM

I answer for xfx, he say to me: Lighting and Color contrast thru curves, selective coloring. (Post processing meaning editing in photoshop...color correction, unsharpmask...etc.)

I have it :-)

@xfx; can you push the original Picture online to show the difference? I will like to test with your original image my knowledge. So I can see what are the differences

Sorry for my bad english :-)

Last edited by nightcatcher; 11-16-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Thought you guys might find these few comments in Dave Hills new blog quite funny and interesting;

http://photographyisrad.com/2007/10/...comment-611670
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaphotos View Post
Thought you guys might find these few comments in Dave Hills new blog quite funny and interesting;

Does Lucis Art shoot the pictures as well? Implying that Lucis art is all one needs for this kind of images is the same as saying that one only needs a plane to be able to fly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Yikes!

We he being serious or was that a bit of sarcasm? IF he was serious...that's gonna bite a lot of photogs and retouchers right on the a**.

Damien
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:13 PM

what i just noticed is that he has shown lotsa pics from his holidays on coney island and all of them are slightly retouched and you WILL NOT tell me that he sat down and put so much effort into pics that will just be seen by some nerds on his blog
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 11:29 PM

agreed. personally, it doesn't matter. lucis art is a fine plugin and it doesn't take anything away from the beauty he creates.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2007, 02:33 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Smile Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Thought you guys might find these few comments in Dave Hills new blog quite funny and interesting
enigmaphotos (Dean?), thanks for the heads-up!

In other news, I followed your sig link for the "Lucis Arts 'Whyeth tutorial'" and have a few thoughts:

1) The proper name of the plug-in is "LucisArt". It's tricky, I know; I kept spelling it wrong too. It's one (composite) word, unlike their Lucis Pro (two words!).

2) You came up with some good techniques for emulating •a• LucisArt effect. I say "a" because LucisArt is capable of an entire range of effects, from the Dave Hill look to others that are entirely different and unrelated–from the wildly artistic to straightforward enhancement of medical and forensic images. It is more than "a simple filter".

3) Your tutorial technique for that particular effect can be good if the user has the time, inclination and patience to manually work through the steps. Otherwise in LucisArt you click a button and are done fast (see a screenshot of my own usage to achieve this particular effect here in issue #10, as well as other issues).

4) The price is a bit steep, but discounts are available for those who don't already have it (see above links). And yes, I bought my copy ;-).

5) This is nit-picky, but if you reduce the font size of your web tutorials, they will be easier to read. Image size is great though, better than most!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
enigmaphotos (Dean?), thanks for the heads-up!

In other news, I followed your sig link for the "Lucis Arts 'Whyeth tutorial'" and have a few thoughts:

1) The proper name of the plug-in is "LucisArt". It's tricky, I know; I kept spelling it wrong too. It's one (composite) word, unlike their Lucis Pro (two words!).

2) You came up with some good techniques for emulating •a• LucisArt effect. I say "a" because LucisArt is capable of an entire range of effects, from the Dave Hill look to others that are entirely different and unrelated–from the wildly artistic to straightforward enhancement of medical and forensic images. It is more than "a simple filter".

3) Your tutorial technique for that particular effect can be good if the user has the time, inclination and patience to manually work through the steps. Otherwise in LucisArt you click a button and are done fast (see a screenshot of my own usage to achieve this particular effect here in issue #10, as well as other issues).

4) The price is a bit steep, but discounts are available for those who don't already have it (see above links). And yes, I bought my copy ;-).

5) This is nit-picky, but if you reduce the font size of your web tutorials, they will be easier to read. Image size is great though, better than most!

Thanks again!
Yeah.. it's me Dean. Cheers for the feedback. I think I do mention that it's the Whyeth filter I'm concentrating on. I'll definitely take the other stuff them into account and update the tutorials.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 AM

I'm pretty sure he was joking.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching