RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

What is up retouchpro.com. I am new to the forum. I have been reading through all the pages on this thread and have to agree that majority of the look is coming from the lighting setup. Here is a 4 point light setup that I did just messing around a while back. If anyone wants to give it a shot processing it go for it!

Last edited by bob.depalmo; 03-03-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Hi bob,

If you could provide a link to the original RAW then I'd have a play. If you want to acheive a Dave Hill look then you aren't goingto get anywhere with a jpeg...

Very kind of you to provide the file though :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 05:02 PM

Second the request for a RAW.

:-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.depalmo View Post
What is up retouchpro.com. I am new to the forum. I have been reading through all the pages on this thread and have to agree that majority of the look is coming from the lighting setup. Here is a 4 point light setup that I did just messing around a while back. If anyone wants to give it a shot processing it go for it!

http://www.bobdepalmo.com/test1.jpg
What's wrong with the processing in the way it looks now? It's freakin' awesome in my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbo View Post
What's wrong with the processing in the way it looks now? It's freakin' awesome in my opinion.
Wow, thank you for the compliment. I played with the image slightly with some contrast adjustment and adding light rays coming from the lights above the stove and sink. Everything else is pretty much OOC. Here is another one, I shot it with two monolights, one in an octabox and another in a 22" beauty dish, I used a ring flash for fill.

Last edited by bob.depalmo; 03-03-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Wow, thank you for the compliment. I played with the image slightly with some contrast adjustment and adding light rays coming from the lights above the stove and sink. Everything else is pretty much OOC. Here is another one, I shot it with two monolights, one in an octabox and another in a 22" beauty dish, I used a ring flash for fill.

http://www.bobdepalmo.com/WTF!bathroom.jpg
Nice shot but I would have preferred to have seen it without any pp, as the current processing is nothing like Dave Hill.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Nice shot but I would have preferred to have seen it without any pp, as the current processing is nothing like Dave Hill.
That's true longside, and of course this thread is all about the Dave Hill style. But on the other hand, I think bob has a nice style in his post production. I think the kitchen table picture looks much better than the bathroom picture though.

Isn't it better to develop a unique style which may resemble the illustrated DH/Greenberg/whoever-look but with a personal touch? At least I'd be happy if I had managed to do that.

I'm kind of learning right now, and have a long way to go, but this is my last try: http://www.markusp.se/dampic03.jpg
I didn't shoot this photo, only did the pp. I think this result lacks that crispy sharp feeling to it, but as said, I'm working on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbo View Post
That's true longside, and of course this thread is all about the Dave Hill style. But on the other hand, I think bob has a nice style in his post production. I think the kitchen table picture looks much better than the bathroom picture though.

Isn't it better to develop a unique style which may resemble the illustrated DH/Greenberg/whoever-look but with a personal touch? At least I'd be happy if I had managed to do that.

I'm kind of learning right now, and have a long way to go, but this is my last try: http://www.markusp.se/dampic03.jpg
I didn't shoot this photo, only did the pp. I think this result lacks that crispy sharp feeling to it, but as said, I'm working on it.
I totally agree, everybody should strive for their own personal style.

However, what happens when a clients says: "I've seen the work of this guy called Dave Hill, I want my photos to look like that"

Whilst you could offer them your own personal take, however you're working for the client not yourself.

And, like you said, this thread is about trying to acheive the Dave Hill look, not your own version of it! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
I totally agree, everybody should strive for their own personal style.

However, what happens when a clients says: "I've seen the work of this guy called Dave Hill, I want my photos to look like that"

Whilst you could offer them your own personal take, however you're working for the client not yourself.

And, like you said, this thread is about trying to acheive the Dave Hill look, not your own version of it! :-)
*If a client that was worth a half of a shit wanted the work of Dave Hill they would probably contact his booking agency and have him booked for a shoot. Not you!

*If you look at DH's right hand guys ie: Rian Flynn, Caleb Kuhl, Neil Visel. Their shit looks nothing like him and they are directly working with him. Why? because unless they have the ability to hop inside his fucking body and mind, they are themselves. So no one, and I mean no one on this forum's shit looks anywhere near his work.

*In regards to this thread being about "trying to achieve the dave hill look". I read all 70 something pages of this thread and can honestly say that most of you people still don't get what he is doing. Everyone thinks that there is some fucking magic key and there isn't. Lighting (MOST IMPORTANT), Compositing, and tedious post work consisting of local contrast, d&b, selective sharpening, and desaturation. Camera equipment? (5dmkii, wide lenses ie: ef 28mm 1.8, sigma 20mm. Not even going to touch on lighting equipment.

** With that being said, I will not be posting in this thread any further as the bickering and vaginal secretion that I have had the pleasure of reading for the last 70 pages is ridiculous. Best of luck to you folks (your gonna need it!).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
*If a client that was worth a half of a shit wanted the work of Dave Hill they would probably contact his booking agency and have him booked for a shoot. Not you!

*If you look at DH's right hand guys ie: Rian Flynn, Caleb Kuhl, Neil Visel. Their shit looks nothing like him and they are directly working with him. Why? because unless they have the ability to hop inside his fucking body and mind, they are themselves. So no one, and I mean no one on this forum's shit looks anywhere near his work.

*In regards to this thread being about "trying to achieve the dave hill look". I read all 70 something pages of this thread and can honestly say that most of you people still don't get what he is doing. Everyone thinks that there is some fucking magic key and there isn't. Lighting (MOST IMPORTANT), Compositing, and tedious post work consisting of local contrast, d&b, selective sharpening, and desaturation. Camera equipment? (5dmkii, wide lenses ie: ef 28mm 1.8, sigma 20mm. Not even going to touch on lighting equipment.

** With that being said, I will not be posting in this thread any further as the bickering and vaginal secretion that I have had the pleasure of reading for the last 70 pages is ridiculous. Best of luck to you folks (your gonna need it!).
If you're not interested in acheiving the look yourself why bother reading through the full 70 pages or did you just do all that reading to come back and slag a load of folk off? Seems a bit sad really!

Anyway, good to see you won't be 'contributing' to this thread anymore!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching