RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.depalmo View Post
*If a client that was worth a half of a shit wanted the work of Dave Hill they would probably contact his booking agency and have him booked for a shoot. Not you!

*If you look at DH's right hand guys ie: Rian Flynn, Caleb Kuhl, Neil Visel. Their shit looks nothing like him and they are directly working with him. Why? because unless they have the ability to hop inside his fucking body and mind, they are themselves. So no one, and I mean no one on this forum's shit looks anywhere near his work.

*In regards to this thread being about "trying to achieve the dave hill look". I read all 70 something pages of this thread and can honestly say that most of you people still don't get what he is doing. Everyone thinks that there is some fucking magic key and there isn't. Lighting (MOST IMPORTANT), Compositing, and tedious post work consisting of local contrast, d&b, selective sharpening, and desaturation. Camera equipment? (5dmkii, wide lenses ie: ef 28mm 1.8, sigma 20mm. Not even going to touch on lighting equipment.

** With that being said, I will not be posting in this thread any further as the bickering and vaginal secretion that I have had the pleasure of reading for the last 70 pages is ridiculous. Best of luck to you folks (your gonna need it!).
Well, most of the stuff above has been said over and over again. A lot of people seem to know that, but NO ONE has written anything that resembles a tutorial of the "correct" workflow in the post production to achieve the DH look, which should be the goal here since this site is called RETOUCH PRO and not LIGHTING PRO...

And yep, with that attitude you're probably better off in another forum. I believe the topic of this thread also contains the words "Let's all help!". I can't see how any of that offensive cursing and disparaging stuff would be helpful to anyone here who tries to develop their skills and shares their result for feedback and tips.

I agree with the "ridiculous" part, and it's posts like the one you wrote that contributes to it. Since you seem to know what it's all about, and no one else does, either share your tips or go look for another forum.

IMHO, a lot of people are very very good at saying stuff like "That's not the Dave Hill look, looks nothing like his work, you're no good, no one knows what they're talking about". That's not one bit constructive and only contributes to a negative atmosphere... I don't know the exact workflow, but at least I've contributed with what i DO know. If it just gives you a good laugh and thinks I'm an idiot for trying, so be it, but that should not be the general attitude in this type of forum. It should be a meeting place for people who are willing to help others!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM

I agree with you bimbo 100%
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM

I came across this thread and had a quick try at it. I have no idea how I got this picture, anyhow.. it was fun. Took about 5 minutes in PS, no plugins, no brushwork. Left is before, right is after.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/...c4b4cd48_o.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Not to pile it on, but I also agree with bimbo. Posting a couple cheesy pics, and then berating everyone just trying to learn some new techniques isn't contributing.

By the way, Calvin has a good guest blog on Scott Kelby's blog that has some very useful tools towards getting this look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 PM

This is fun, thought I'd have another go at it. Some random pic I used, before (left) and after (right).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/...d20dd09d_o.png

Last edited by vertion; 03-03-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: link update
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 03:10 AM

wow Vertion...how did you do that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertion View Post
This is fun, thought I'd have another go at it. Some random pic I used, before (left) and after (right).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/...d20dd09d_o.png
Looks like a step in the right direction. Might be a technique to implement in the workflow. Only five minutes? Can't be that much to write down and post right here then...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 03:32 PM

vertion, I hope you do not mind I have used your picture ... if yes, I will delete this post.

http://creativeretoucher.com/test.zip

I tried to get a similar look to Dave Hill's school picture (I guess ...) which is on his index page and is the first picture from second bottom line

He is using same or very similar lighting all the time and your picture has slightly different lighting but it is a nice and well exposed shot so I have found it to be fine for my test.

I did not use D&B technique - I have used luminosity masks instead. Critique is welcome

Last edited by creativeretouch; 03-04-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbs View Post
wow Vertion...how did you do that?
I will refine my current technique and put up a TUTORIAL (with psd) when I can, which is different than anything I've seen online as far as I can tell : no lum masks, no direct DnB, no high pass.. lol, no surface sharpening AKA reverse surface blur/clarity/calvin's-freaky-detail which is a variation on other LCE techniques like lucis/topaz (had to clear that up). I'll be posting here my progress as I close in with precision. I was also thinking of trying to demystify wenspic's OPT (typical LCE) as well and posting my results on that (that is, if I have to figure it out on my own I will post it). I used efg's Pixel Profiler to analyze such photos.

From my analysis so far, in my opinion, DH is not a single technique, which obviously does use the light setup for a great deal of the contrasty 'look', but this in itself doesn't create anything too out of the ordinary (others do that as well).. his 'contrasting' post work is also not a single technique and what he employs varies from picture to picture as appropriate (just like any good post work). So I will expose the multiple techniques I have found to recreate the 'look', and pardon my monitor which needs calibration. Here is the efg's Pixel Profiler if you want to compare his photo patterns with normal photo patterns in more detail.

http://www.efg2.com/Lab/ImageProcess...xelProfile.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Hi guys,

Just finished this shot. subject was lit with four flash, and backlit with sun. Lots of post work. I''d be intrested to hear your thoughts, good and bad.

Incidentally, the psd looks miles better than the shit jpeg conversion!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/...8b527e59_b.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching