RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Yea i watched this video a couple dozen times. He is a serious inspiration, yet i couldnt see anything about rain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 PM

I use a similar style in my workflow. DH's style is a bit more heavy-handed than my liking, but I threw this together in about 10 minutes to try to duplicate.

Before:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/...b121c233_b.jpg

After:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/...512618dd_b.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyL View Post
I really would like to know how that rain is made so pristine. Any one have ideas other then the ones posted.
He might have used a particle generator in After Effects and matched the perspective. Or perhaps it was done in a 3D program.

Here is an example that I just did in After Effects. It's not perfect but you get the idea.

edit: The thing I like about using After Effects with the filter CC Rain is that you can set parameters like 'Varying Angle', so that the drops are not uniform in angle (I think it helps to sell it), and you can of course set Size, Length, Intensity, etc. I know there is another forum dedicated to integrating 2.5D or 3D software with Photoshop, but I am just getting into it and it blows my mind the possibilities it opens for still image compositing and still image effects. Check it out if you haven't!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rain_after_effects.jpg (89.3 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by kkamin; 09-05-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 AM

I had to play around with rain now on an actual image.

Here is a crude rain effect applied to one of my photos. I created two types of rain in After Effects: long drops and short drops using 'CC Rain'. (I also added a slight fast blur in AE) I brought them into PS in different layers and masked the short drops off the magician to help create some additional depth--it doesn't make any literal sense, but I think it was a quick and dirty way to add subtle depth.

I should have reduced the opacity or removed the rain drops going directly over his face but I did this in about 3 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magician.jpg (83.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg magician_rain.jpg (99.7 KB, 149 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM

interesting, ive never thought of using anything other then photoshop
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM

Maybe this help someone. Enjoy :-)

http://www.billsimonephotography.com/wordpress/?p=28
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2010, 06:27 AM

what fools! you'll are crying over rain drops! thats the least thing he'd expect you'll to worry about - you get very good results with custom brushes - why does everything have to be a shortcut - or a noise applied with motion blur - why cant you see that every splash added is painstakingly done? with accuracy! Use your heads - not the filters and shortcuts!

If you'll think youve seen the behind the scenes, watch them again! he's has in particular shown how he has added the water trails in his latest series, learn to watch carefully! not just assume a davehill effect with a filter

Im no smartass over this whole davehill effect shbang, but daymn, atleast try and understand its a process and things done with a reason and not overly done!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Dave Hill work is so interesting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnoc View Post
what fools! you'll are crying over rain drops! thats the least thing he'd expect you'll to worry about - you get very good results with custom brushes - why does everything have to be a shortcut - or a noise applied with motion blur - why cant you see that every splash added is painstakingly done? with accuracy! Use your heads - not the filters and shortcuts!

If you'll think youve seen the behind the scenes, watch them again! he's has in particular shown how he has added the water trails in his latest series, learn to watch carefully! not just assume a davehill effect with a filter

Im no smartass over this whole davehill effect shbang, but daymn, atleast try and understand its a process and things done with a reason and not overly done!
There are countless ways to achieve any effect. I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing ideas on how a particular effect might have been done. Dave Hill isn't Jesus Christ, and there are perhaps better techniques out there than he uses. I personally think it is more interesting to not know how he did something and have people share their ideas on how to achieve something similar. The process expands our understanding of digital manipulating and compositing by looking at it from different angles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkamin View Post
There are countless ways to achieve any effect. I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing ideas on how a particular effect might have been done. Dave Hill isn't Jesus Christ, and there are perhaps better techniques out there than he uses. I personally think it is more interesting to not know how he did something and have people share their ideas on how to achieve something similar. The process expands our understanding of digital manipulating and compositing by looking at it from different angles.
I totally agree with you - but what I don't agree is with people asking how to achieve realistic rain drops as HE did - i mean there are a billions ways to do realistic rain drops, the last thing you'd want to know is how he did his variation on the rain drops - for which he dave hill has already said, he has used a custom brush for that....

i mean, alright, after effects- shove in the particular plugin, move a couple of frames ahead - voila, you've got tons of rain simulating programs and plugins, custom brushes, even better, slow your camera shutter and take a photograph of water sprinkling - you want ideas on how to make rain drops - there are a million!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching