RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
...maybe I'm wrong...
you're not.

control is something lucis missed implementing
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM

It takes a lot of work but you can use Lucis.. Lucis really is harsh on skin gradients and shadows and highlights on the face or Skin area.
I usually run it a couple times and mixing a Noise reduction inbetween to smooth the skin a little. actually before I run Lucis also...
Then you have to rework the skin a little as lucis roughs it up too much for my work.
Do not know how to post images here but here is one done really quick:
http://homepage.mac.com/ekphotograph...Arg%20copy.jpg
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiserjohn View Post
Here is my atempt.

Heres the link to a big one.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/...5f9b37e3_b.jpg
You really don`t want to tell us how you did it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 AM

I can post the workflow monday, tuesday. With an example picture.

I did not use lucis art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiserjohn View Post
I can post the workflow monday, tuesday. With an example picture.

I did not use lucis art.
Thanks!!
Looking so forward to read Feed our brains! We have been trying to crack the code for ages
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Post Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Does anyone know what basis or inspiration they made LUCISART from? Is it S/H? Maybe to learn S/H gives you more control...I've seen that the Lucisart layout is based on preset buttons and a fader? That's not control in my eyes...maybe I'm wrong...
superkoax, here is more info about the inner workings of LucisArt from their website: "[LucisArt is] ...based on a revolutionary, patented image-processing algorithm called Differential Hysteresis Processing or DHP.

"DHP lets us see what we could not otherwise perceive. Images contain hundreds to tens of thousands of contrast levels when our eyes can only see roughly 32 levels of contrast. With DHP you can select a range of contrast variances to enhance. DHP then compares each pixel to every other pixel along hundreds of radial lines. Contrast variances within the range are enhanced and contrast variances outside the range are diminished. Contrast information is shifted in emphasis, not thrown away. So the smallest image detail is accurately revealed throughout the image, simultaneously in the dark and brightest areas.

"With DHP you can also smooth a range of contrast variances. A combination of image smoothing and detail enhancement reveals mid-level image contrast patterns."

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
It takes a lot of work but you can use Lucis. Lucis really is harsh on skin gradients and shadows and highlights on the face or Skin area.
snook, this is true, so what you want to do is use LucisArt along with layers. Apply LucisArt to a duplicate layer and erase (or perhaps use a blending mode) to merge it back into the original skin layer. I also like applying different LucisArt filters to different layers and blending it all together, sometimes using blending modes or deleted feathered selections.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 AM

PLUGS: Thanks for that nice info! But when reading into this, the algorithm seems very complex. Why on earth do they have this really bad layout? when seeing screenshots it looks very odd, and doesn't give any possibility to get better results. One click gives this, another gives this! You can't get that in between look that I read some want...It gives you more masking work and more layer work...I think by adding more knobs and control buttons that enhances peoples workflow and gives more different results and even better...I haven't seen this program in real life...so just my idea here
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
PLUGS: Thanks for that nice info! But when reading into this, the algorithm seems very complex. Why on earth do they have this really bad layout? when seeing screenshots it looks very odd, and doesn't give any possibility to get better results. One click gives this, another gives this! You can't get that in between look that I read some want...It gives you more masking work and more layer work...I think by adding more knobs and control buttons that enhances peoples workflow and gives more different results and even better...I haven't seen this program in real life...so just my idea here
well actually i figured that you can get better controlled results with the "Local Contrast Enhancer" Dean found and posted in his http://enigma-photos.com/LucisArtTutorial/
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 PM

SUB: I've tried it, but it's not really the lucis art effect here...S/H is way more powerful than that one...maybe this is more right for more detailed pictures(landscape, city pictures etc)...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
SUB: I've tried it, but it's not really the lucis art effect here...S/H is way more powerful than that one...maybe this is more right for more detailed pictures(landscape, city pictures etc)...
ya sry - i spent more time with it and figured i was talking trash
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching