RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

I'm not actually trying to replicate DH's look. I'm just trying new ways to apply high pass techniques for commercial applications. I did not shoot these images. They are low resolution jpegs that I downloaded from the Web and retouched, so the high pass sometimes causes artifacts. I do use these techniques in my commercial work, and they work well on high resolution files.

As some have said in here, there is no one filter that will achieve a polished look. Probably 75 to 80% of any of it comes from the lighting and retouching. I'm certain that it's no different for Dave Hill, Joey L, Joel Grimes, and others.

Before
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...600x0wcrop.jpg

After
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/..._1600x0whp.jpg

Before
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/..._fb_before.jpg

After
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/..._after_sat.jpg

Last edited by pevanesce; 03-13-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevanesce View Post
I'm not actually trying to replicate DH's look. I'm just trying new ways to apply high pass techniques for commercial applications. I did not shoot these images. They are low resolution jpegs that I downloaded from the Web and retouched, so the high pass sometimes causes artifacts. I do use these techniques in my commercial work, and they work well on high resolution files.

As some have said in here, there is no one filter that will achieve a polished look. Probably 75 to 80% of any of it comes from the lighting and retouching. I'm certain that it's no different for Dave Hill, Joey L, Joel Grimes, and others.

Before
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...600x0wcrop.jpg

After
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/..._1600x0whp.jpg

Before
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/..._fb_before.jpg

After
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/..._after_sat.jpg
Thanks for posting. Although I do have to ask, as your shots look nothing like Dave Hill, and you openly admit that you are not trying to replicate the Dave Hill look, wht post them at all in this thread.

How do these shot make any contribution to this thread?!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 PM

Another one from me, not a Dave Hill but in similar fashion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/menanda...8548/lightbox/
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 PM

Not DH but still quite nice Tetra...and all with Canon flash guns!.
Any clues to how you got that look in post?.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Mainly D&B and color corrections, skin cleaning ...all the standard stuff, but the important think is to have enough detailed photograph, well lit of course ... and the post processing took me around 3 hours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Thanks for posting. Although I do have to ask, as your shots look nothing like Dave Hill, and you openly admit that you are not trying to replicate the Dave Hill look, wht post them at all in this thread.

How do these shot make any contribution to this thread?!

Lonside1,

Thanks for the reply, and it's a fair question. I guess that I'm a little intrigued with the compulsion of so many people trying to replicate Dave Hill's look, particularly when some people, even in this thread, have achieved an almost identical look. If you placed some of Tetra's portfolio images alongside Hill's, I doubt that anyone would be able to distinguish them.

This thread is titled: “The Demystification of Dave Hill! Let's All He”

There is no question mark in the title, so I’ll go out on a limb in assuming that the poster is proposing that this thread will eventually reveal some sort of collective epiphany about Dave's technique. If I’m correct, then my response is that retouchers like Tetra, to a greater extent, already have. Even my quick retouch of the Audi demonstrates the animation resemblance associated with applying the combination of Shadow/Highlight and High Pass filtration. Beyond that, some of the other aspects of Hill’s look, and those of shooters like Joel Grimes, are pretty apparent. Lighting, dodging & burning, and compositing are three that stand out. In fact, you can see, in most lighting situations, whether the resulting image will accentuate the High Pass animation look.

The reality is that the only person who can truly demystify Dave Hill’s specific look is Dave Hill, and I doubt that you should expect that to happen until the look has become completely passé and Dave no longer depends on it to generate income. At that point, my guess is that he might sell a tutorial. In the meantime, learn what you can from people like Tetra, who seems willing to share his discoveries. And then go out and expand that skill into unique, new looks. The alternative is to fixate on replicating the Dave Hill look, and then what will you have gained – secondhand knowledge of a technique that has already saturated the market by high-profile shooters like Dave Hill, Dragan, and Joel Grimes? I guess I don’t see much of a future in it. On the other hand, think of the possibilities for recognition for those who expand upon the tools and then create new and equally interesting looks.

Best,

P
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevanesce View Post
Lonside1,

Thanks for the reply, and it's a fair question. I guess that I'm a little intrigued with the compulsion of so many people trying to replicate Dave Hill's look, particularly when some people, even in this thread, have achieved an almost identical look. If you placed some of Tetra's portfolio images alongside Hill's, I doubt that anyone would be able to distinguish them.

This thread is titled: “The Demystification of Dave Hill! Let's All He”

There is no question mark in the title, so I’ll go out on a limb in assuming that the poster is proposing that this thread will eventually reveal some sort of collective epiphany about Dave's technique. If I’m correct, then my response is that retouchers like Tetra, to a greater extent, already have. Even my quick retouch of the Audi demonstrates the animation resemblance associated with applying the combination of Shadow/Highlight and High Pass filtration. Beyond that, some of the other aspects of Hill’s look, and those of shooters like Joel Grimes, are pretty apparent. Lighting, dodging & burning, and compositing are three that stand out. In fact, you can see, in most lighting situations, whether the resulting image will accentuate the High Pass animation look.

The reality is that the only person who can truly demystify Dave Hill’s specific look is Dave Hill, and I doubt that you should expect that to happen until the look has become completely passé and Dave no longer depends on it to generate income. At that point, my guess is that he might sell a tutorial. In the meantime, learn what you can from people like Tetra, who seems willing to share his discoveries. And then go out and expand that skill into unique, new looks. The alternative is to fixate on replicating the Dave Hill look, and then what will you have gained – secondhand knowledge of a technique that has already saturated the market by high-profile shooters like Dave Hill, Dragan, and Joel Grimes? I guess I don’t see much of a future in it. On the other hand, think of the possibilities for recognition for those who expand upon the tools and then create new and equally interesting looks.

Best,

P
No offence but I still don't see how your images have contributed anyhing to the understanding of Dave Hill. As you say, he uses composites, flash and d n b yet your images appear to be lacking in these respects. There is lot more going on than just USM, to be honest is newer work appears more like matte painting, and I suspect there is a lot more software going on than just Photoshop, in all likelihood CGI etc.

Anyway, I'm undermining my own argument here by carrying on with this so I'm off to take some photos
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
No offence but I still don't see how your images have contributed anyhing to the understanding of Dave Hill. As you say, he uses composites, flash and d n b yet your images appear to be lacking in these respects. There is lot more going on than just USM, to be honest is newer work appears more like matte painting, and I suspect there is a lot more software going on than just Photoshop, in all likelihood CGI etc.

Anyway, I'm undermining my own argument here by carrying on with this so I'm off to take some photos
I'm pretty sure that I answered your question.

Best,

P
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2011, 10:37 AM

This is the closest I've been to it... (not there yet) I guess there are so many elements on the Dave Hill look, starting at the very base, and of course he must have his own chef secrets... Anyways here is my try... http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/#/d3bouih
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again... It's mostly all about the lighting!

I'm actually in the process of planning a test shoot to demonstrate this style! Hopefully I'll be shooting on Wednesday and I'll post my results here.

Here's a shot I did from last summer... It only uses 3 lights (1x Octa for key, 2x bare bulb 12" reflectors for rim/edge). The key light is a 750ws Bowens, and the rim/edge are 400ws Bowens. They do a good job keeping power with the sun!

I used lightroom to bring the colour out in the grass and sky (as you can see from the setup shot it was quite dull!) and there is very minimal dodge and burn. The background is as shot, and there is no compositing.

For the next test shoot, I plan on using 4 lights, much the same setup as with this shot, but changing the position of the key, and adding a fill. I also plan to use alot more photoshop (dodging/burning, High/Low frequency skin smoothing)

Any questions give me a shout!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shot.jpg (91.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg setup.jpg (94.1 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching