RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

I understand Sam. When i say "starting at the very base" I mean Camera and lighting, not to mention the site and clothes. On the other hand I've never seen works exactly like DHill's, maybe similar, but actually, nobody's work looks the same, compared to somebody else. btw your work is pretty good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetragramaton View Post
Hi guys, in the case of the ace of spades shoot there was more composing involved than any other specific treatments for the model itself, and to the end of the day I end up with 38-39 layers. I done the whole think for one, sleepless, night. The other thing was that I couldn't work my lighting as wanted because I was using st-e2 and it was giving me so much troubles. Any way I'm posting few links were you can see before and in the post-production.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...thilights1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...aseofspade.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ilightsweb.jpg

Man, this is excellent, I love this work. I've never seen a work with so many layers... I really like it... Congrats...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 AM

I had time this afternoon to do a very quick test, and here are the results!

Shot with a Nikon D300 /18mm. Basic RAW adjustments in Lightroom. NO PHOTOSHOP!

Lighting:
1x Bowens 750ws into 4ft Octa for key, camera left
2x Bowens 400ws into 7" Reflector for back/edge lights
reflections from walls and ceilings from lights for fill.

Once again, it's mostly all about the lighting! My next step would be to do some skin smoothing using low/high frequency retouching, then do some dodge and burn to accentuate highlights and shadows. Finally I'd replace the background with something more colourful.

As I posted earlier this week, I'm doing a big location test on Wednesday and will post the results here.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SBP_0898.jpg (97.8 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg SBP_0900.jpg (87.5 KB, 119 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Gerry, welcome back to your never ending thread, LOL.

Although nobody have got the look yet, I've been doing some search too (playing with Ps) and I discovered that if I isolate the subject (object) and add an Emboss, before the process of 2 HP / Linear and Color (Blend modes) it adds a very nice touch which I think is closer to the look. I didn't use HDR nor D & B, just a copy of the original. Just in case you want to check my work, here is the link: http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/#/d3c5bjp

I know that lighting is very important, but again lighting is important in any shot independently of the target of post process... If you check the original photo (link below my processed photo) It doesn't have a great lighting.

If someone is interested I can post the work flow...
I be interested fo sure emboss first hmmmm....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Sam:

I guess everyone understands that lighting is very important in order to achieve a good result, but this is true not only here, lighting is important in any shooting, and not exclusively here. Dave Hill's shootings are great but his final results are done in a computer, of course the lighting set ups on his shooting sessions are good aswell. I believe that Photoshop is a no-limit program, you just need to learn it well to achieve what you are looking for.

I took a quick go with one of your photos, it could take further process in order to get a better result tho... I spent about 15 or 20 mnts. in it. It could use a better background too...
I'm not disputing the fact Dave Hill uses Photoshop. He does, and he uses it very well! But not as much as other people think he does! He will get to 80%/90% with lighting/composition/posing etc, and get the final 10%/20% using photoshop.

This is what I wanted to demonstrate with the previous photos I posted. i think they are 80%/90% there, but they still don't have that 'pop' that Dave Hill's photos have

I think that what you have done with my photo, has been way overdone. It looks almost like a stone sculpture. Put one of Dave Hills photos side by side with mine, and I hope you will be able to see what I mean when I say subtle!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM

I agree Sam, neither I'm trying to dispute anything. I just want to share info, as the thread's title says, let's all help. But, have you seen Dave's original photos? I mean before post process? Maybe I'm missing something, all I've seen are processed works. I cannot compare your photos or anybody else's with Dave's, because all I've seen from him are processed photos, and some of his shooting videos, besides most of his works are compositions of different shots. Are you really trying to get that from the original photo? If you get it, I'd really like to see it.

What Dave does in his shootings, it's not different from what any other good photographer does, but hey "the result" that gritty look, is what made him famous.

Note: What I did to your photo was a very quick process as I already mentioned, it can be much better, spending some time on it, I just wanted to use it as an example.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM

While I've never actually seen an un-retouched Dave Hill Raw directly up on a screen, If you take a look at the Chris Brown BTS video (http://vimeo.com/4955718), there are some really good examples of what it looks like before retouching at 3.00, 3.30, 4.42, 4.53, 7.00 and 8.30.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Yo Boneappetit can you share your flow for this pic http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/#/d3c5bjp

Thanks
Julian
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Boneappetit what blend modes are used for the emboss and high pass layers????
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 AM

This is my try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled234.jpg (76.4 KB, 171 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching