RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Hi Johnny:

The DH technique is already explained on page 79 of this thread. Besides that, judging the latest works of DH, they are not at the same level of the early works. "IMO" Dave is the one who has the ideas of compositions and shootings, a different person was the one making the digital process, and they split, or there is not enough budget to maintain the same quality on his works... I'm just saying, not that i have proof or anything... Check page 79 of the thread, there are a lot of juicy points there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 AM

i heard from an old interview that it took him 2 months (?!) just on the post processing of the adventure girl. so i guess the secret is just plain hard work and one hell of an imagination.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM

He also used a lot of different locations for the photos, like almost everything was shot differently, the rocks, model, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Again, my shot is not near or similar to DH by any mean, but i really like my results over many others here and there, and to your surprise, i just used 1 light on that shot [1 speedlite of 580 with thru-umbrella because my Profoto pack turned off no charge] and also i used my Canon DSLR with a zoom lens, i can imagine if i used my medium format and several lights [4-6] properly what i will get then.

And to tell you my simple secret, i just did HDR of that portrait then i did adjust the shadows/highlight to balance between the model and background out of HDR result, then i did little "clone" on his face with little D&B which i really don't know how to use it well enough, i am sure many others who are masters on Photoshop can do it much better workflow comparing to my workflow.

And as i said, i don't work on portraits, and i can beat DH with landscape, but he is focusing on portraiture more than background and landscape.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 PM

Well, I'm repeating myself here. Many people say that DH works depend much on the lighting, but to be honest he's not doing anything different from what other good photographers do in their shootings, in relation to lighting. I mean lighting is important in "any shooting session". Now, his imagination for compositions is great, like Instantclassic said, his works got different shots of different elements, but, what made him famous is that gridy look, and that, is made using computers... Again as I said before, check out page 79 where a member of this forum pasted a tutorial by Robert Randall explaining how is done... My bottom line is this, Nobody's work is going to look exactly like someone else's.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Well, I'm repeating myself here. Many people say that DH works depend much on the lighting, but to be honest he's not doing anything different from what other good photographers do in their shootings, in relation to lighting. I mean lighting is important in "any shooting session". Now, his imagination for compositions is great, like Instantclassic said, his works got different shots of different elements, but, what made him famous is that gridy look, and that, is made using computers... Again as I said before, check out page 79 where a member of this forum pasted a tutorial by Robert Randall explaining how is done... My bottom line is this, Nobody's work is going to look exactly like someone else's.
True, even DH can't replicate others works such as Dragan/Schmidt/J.Greenberg,....etc, honestly i prefer Dragan effect more than Dave Hill stylelook, but i was thinking i can get closer to DH more than Dragan, i will be very very happy if i can do Dragan very much similar or same, and all those amazing photographers i mentioned and more just don't work on lighting only, they work on composition and style as well, i have to think about doing more elements framing and portraits than just work on duplicating others styles, the problem is that i am shooting landscapes more, so my portraitures will never look interesting even i can do DH/Amy Dresser effect perfectly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Here is my second try. This composition took about a week to produce. Lots of photoshoots and many hours with photoshop. I used wrap around lighting from three points. I also used painting with light technique in photoshop to intensify specular highlights. There is before and after image. Hope you like it.

velanperintä.jpgvelanperintä_pienennetty.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM

I forgot to say, that different photos behave different in post-process depending on the camera they used for it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM

can i say DH uses HDR then softening on the subject skin to create his workflow in basic?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acapella View Post
can i say DH uses HDR then softening on the subject skin to create his workflow in basic?
There's no HDR in the process what so ever.
Read through this thread first
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching