RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
okay, no probs. i still don't see the point of posting images if you're not trying to acheive the Dave Hill look. Why not just start another thread!?
I still don't see that you don't see my point. That's what i said, I posted my image because I was trying to get the look, then someone posted the article by Robert Randall, which is the one i was making reference...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Can anyone post an image based on page 79 or based on the article by Robert Randall

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
I still don't see that you don't see my point. That's what i said, I posted my image because I was trying to get the look, then someone posted the article by Robert Randall, which is the one i was making reference...
Boneappetit, please accept my apologies, i was confusing you with fadewoods earlier in the thread! Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 AM

I guess I'm a dumbass for posting like that.. my apologies!

My point is, I don't think anyone will ever achieve Dave Hill's master work, so my advice for everyone is to just do what you can with what you got, and create an awesome style of your own, even if it is similar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Alright y'all I'm new here, and I haven't really read much of this thread, but I can tell people are still confused.

I'm more curious about Dave Hill's backgrounds than anything. Does anybody know how to add atmospheric haze and flares to landscapes like Dave does? Look at the background in this shot: http://www.davehillphoto.com/commerc...ord-Fusion.jpg

It's hazy, and dreamy. The first think I think of is when you bring up the lightness under hue/saturation, but it's definitely not that simple. Check out how it fades in to nothing in the background. Does anybody have any tips on how to do this?

Also this photo: http://www.davehillphoto.com/commerc...-Kate-Tong.jpg
And this one: http://www.davehillphoto.com/commercial/#19
And a bunch of others in his current portfolio, the lens flare clearly isn't real flare, but it looks so seamless.

Any tips on either of these techniques? I think they contribute to Dave's style more than his contrasty lighting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 PM

As a designer, I see him using the fogged background or flared background as a way to separate the subject from the background. Since his depth of field is infinite, he cannot use that as a technique for separation.

You can tell that his fogging of the background was done selectively. In the urban scene, he probably created a radial gradient to somewhat simulate the effect of the fog getting stronger in Z space. And then tweaked it by hand. It's not perfect and you can tell the most important thing was to get an almost pure white behind the subject's head. I think it's win-win, because it achieves separation of the subject and emphasis on the subject, while adding atmosphere to his images.

On a side note. This thread is kind of old, and when I look at his images now they look too 'illustrative' to me. I'm kind of sick of this look. I prefer:

http://joelgrimes.com/3/artist.asp?A...&Akey=P7FJP8B4

Joel Grimes achieves a similar look and he's probably buds with Dave Hill, but he doesn't push the look as far, and I think he's a better photographer overall too. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2012, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the response. I'll have to toy around with adding fog to my shots in a similar fashion. I've done it once with photoshopped snow earlier this year: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3...099_3smlll.jpg

Joel Grimes website is also pretty intense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 PM

I like your photo!

If you don't mind, I could give my humble opinion on how to push it further. If you are going for the Dave hill look, you'll need to have stronger lighting. Both of your images were taken on an overcast day which produces flat lighting. Dave Hill and many compositers use a lot of side lighting. This is a dramatic style of lighting that works well with composites because the light can almost seem to come from anywhere due to the two 'key' lights. Using more dramatic lighting will also support a dramatic looking photograph.

Your photograph is a good example of where a fogged background would help separate your subject from a busy background. I also think adding a strong simulated backlight, like an exposed sun that isn't really there, would help with the flat lighting. And doing a slight light wrap would help integrate your subject and background better.

I like the people on the ground, but I sort of wish they were interacting with what was going on. Like pointing up at the guy going off the jump.

I did this in a few minutes and it doesn't look not very good.; I would need to spend several hours playing with it. But I was intrigued with your photo and the discussion at hand.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...77/testbg3.jpg

Thanks for sharing and great work! I learned a lot from engaging in this discussion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Hello everyone!
As yet I did not write here I would like to introduce
My name is Mariusz, I come from Polish. DH technique has long been interested in.
I would like to know your opinion. I used the attached photo for example, in this conversation.
http://www.zajac4.xnet.com.pl/dh1.jpg

I present my technique on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellEaK3Wsz0

my page with a photograph of a wedding in which I try to apply the treatment of DH
www.zajacfoto.com

Last edited by zajac4; 04-01-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Kkamin, thanks for the critique, compliments, along with your version, it helps. I like your info on lighting and an interacting background, and I'll consider those more when I do my next shot.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching