RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
c) Did I say anything like that? No, so please cry me a river, you are being stupid here.
Yes as a matter of fact you did. When I asked who said anything about using multiple lights your reply was "Isn´t that pretty clear that if you want to take a good portrait, you´ll need a good lighting?"

Now who's being stupid?

Quote:
And of course, even with the huge continuous light system, your model is moving between shots. You just can not take good HDR shots with humans.
Sure you can. Google "HDR portraiture." Granted it's a little more difficult than landscapes, but you can still do it. Consider 150 years ago people had to stay still for 30 seconds to get their portrait exposed.

And before you get snarky about how much technology has evolved and you show your true colors about how if it weren't for digital cameras, you would never have even gotten into photography, consider that people made great works of art with film and continuous light sources. Therefore, now that the technology is so much better, people should have no problem jumping creative hurdles... That is, if they know how to use a camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transoptic View Post
Yes as a matter of fact you did. When I asked who said anything about using multiple lights your reply was "Isn´t that pretty clear that if you want to take a good portrait, you´ll need a good lighting?"

Now who's being stupid?
Camoon, are you a child of wtf is your problem? That is absolutely true, that a good portrait needs a good lighting, but I´m not saying that you have to set up 10 flashes. Somebody please say something to this guy, this is ridiculous.

I´m done, let it be so that you can do HDR portraits eyes closed and one hand jerking in a pitch black darkness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM

And for the closure, this is from Dave Hill himself. Transoptic, are you saying that Dave Hill does not know how to handle a camera? Do you feel owned?

Quote:
Hi guys,
Wow, I'm flattered by all this talk! I'm glad some of you like my work. I really can't share much about specifics, and I'm not a photoshop guru, but I am definitely down to discuss. I haven't used HDR or that tone-mapping stuff. I just recently heard about it, and it seems you need to bracket your images to do it well. That would be almost impossible when shooting humans! :-) In terms of cameras, depending on the budget, I use canon digitals and H1's; all prime lenses. Canons are SOOO fun and easy to shoot with, but the H1 files are crisp, edge to edge, and print bigger. Kinda a trade off. I'm a big fan of using lights, and I'd say the primary factor of how my images look is the lighting setup. Photoshop is of course crucial as well, but you gotta have a clean raw file to begin with. Too much processing can give you nasty digital grain, halos, all that stuff, which may look good on Flickr, but when printed on paper for a portfolio that an art director sees, looks like junk. I would totally suggest that new photogs spend less time on Photoshop and more time shooting and playing with lights, and learning how to direct their subjects. As to the comment about $50k shoots... haha... that made me laugh. For sure my budgets have been getting bigger, but a lot of the stuff on my site paid peanuts. You really have to work your butt off; lots of sweat, set-building, hauling lights all over the place, day after day, for at least a few years etc. But that's part of the adventure, right!? Let me know if u guys have any more questions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 PM

"Owned?"

Not really. I never said that D.H. uses HDR. I never said that it's cakewalk to do HDR portraiture. I just said that it can be done, in refutation of your original assertion.

I also refuted your implication that good lighting requires 3 to 6 lights. You said that. Don't deny it; read back if you must. In fact, you seem to be under the impression that any lighting outside of (several) studio strobes is inferior. You would be false however.

Anyway, I grow weary of refuting these silly assertions. Good luck to you in all your quixotic endeavors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 PM

Please shut up already. You act like a child arguing. "You said that I cant fly to moon, but if I had a rocket and a starship....".

Can you read these words coming out from you monitor? When a subject is moving, you CANNOT take several shots without getting an unsharp image(subject). HDR is a combination of a several different exposures and there is a lack between each one.

Lets imagine a jumping model. I want you to tell everybody here how in the hell you can make a HDR photo from that jumping model without getting a crappy blurred model? It seems that you have somekind of a magic trick to it, please feel free to share it with us.

With some kind of a ultra high speed camera shooting thousands of frames/ sec it can be done, but is it relevant in this discussion? No it is definitely not. Even the true master Dave Hill is saying that it is almost impossible.

I feel so retarted to even answer to you right now. Somebody please make it stop!

Quote:
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.
Please, lets get back to business and lets stop this stupid arguing.

http://www.bodynet.fi/kuvat/laukku110.jpg

Last edited by Mtmm; 12-10-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Superkoax:
Thanks. Nothing special, DB and experience in PP. Lighting plays a very impt role also.

Mtmm:
Thanks for appreciating.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM

Learn to read.

Once again, I never said it was easy to do HDR portraiture. Just that it was possible. Lots of people do it. Like I suggested, Google it if you must.

A jumping model does not fit into the realm of possibility. You are simply taking an extreme scenario and applying it to your faulty assertion. The fact that you implore other people to back you up on this issue (and their reluctance to do so) proves exactly how founded you are.

I bet you do feel retarded. I would too if I was making the same jackass assertions you were. This is the last time I will respond to any crackpot reply you make. So go ahead and respond with some irrelevantly snarky post. Hopefully a year down the road you will realize your folly.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 12-10-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: This is a family-friendly forum - please be careful with your language so as not to offend readers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 10:28 PM

Differences of opinion can be explained without personal insults. Flaming is NOT allowed on this website.

Let's get back to technique and helping those interested in learning how to mimic "the Dave Hill look".
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Dave hill doesn't do it with HDR so leave it alone ( he's shooting with flash!).
I know it's possible but not practical. i would not create a look that i can't replicate in all of my photography(that's why is hired in the first place). could you image him asking for a band (tennage) to sit still for 30 sec......common.....plus you kill the spontaneity in the photo.

so how can we get this effect...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
Differences of opinion can be explained without personal insults. Flaming is NOT allowed on this website.

Let's get back to technique and helping those interested in learning how to mimic "the Dave Hill look".

Thanks CJ.

As has already been said, we do not wish to see this thread degenerate into a name calling session, we are I hope all capable of behaving like adults.

If you have disagreements then keep them civil please. Better still lets get back to topic.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching