RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

In the spirit of Dave Hills retouching!!! STOP IT!!!!
yeah! cool down! Just agree to disagree and end it this forum is about accepting difference as well! I would love to see a HDR portrait! any good sites for that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM

U can do PSEUDO HDR in one single image. Just letting u all know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 PM

That is true, but true HDR is always true HDR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 PM

Ok here’s my attempt at it using a pic from I believe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dave2wb.jpg (93.1 KB, 168 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2007, 05:48 AM

I have two things to say..
One is that Dave hill is not doing 50K + shoots.
Most of his lights are cheapo White lightnings.
Most of his Canons look like 20D's and his so called "Primes" are the cheaper primes.
Also his lighting is not that critical and rather "basic" He seem also to do the same lighting all the time.
One or Two rim lights from the side and a softbox for main filled with ringflash. No genius set up there either.
I would say his final product is what makes him and the Photoshop helps enhance his pictures so they look "Cool"
I would not campare him to a David LaChapelle for instance who did everything on Film and very little retouching.
Obviously from watching his backstage stuff , they are a bunch of talented "hill" billies..:+} No Pun intended.
Also for the people posting, Ahh I did this in Just 5 minutes.. Well great. Now take 2 minutes to explain your 5 minute process..
That is what this Forum is about.. sharing your technique.. Not hosting your images. That goes in another forum.
Also Dave's Look is nothing new. It is actually a good copy of Ficus and Jillgreenberg who had there names WAY before Hill did..:+}
He just applied it to a quirky Rock Band side that not many have done.
Snook
PS. I do not think Dave Hill will ever be a well known photographer and will not last very long unless he plays his cards right.
He'll probably end up like a forum guru like Andre Dragan who until this day is copied in Forums but probably is still that starving artist in Poland!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2007, 06:00 AM

Dave is using Canon 5D full frame, not 20D. And that is for fun, for serious shots he uses Hasselblad.

And Jim Fiscus is not even close, Dave is on the other level what comes to retouching and lighting
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
Dave is using Canon 5D full frame, not 20D. And that is for fun, for serious shots he uses Hasselblad.

And Jim Fiscus is not even close, Dave is on the other level what comes to retouching and lighting
second that! there is more to Dave hill then we ever will know! why did he take photos of Chris Brown? he's one of the most popular artist in the us today! Starving artist? They don't all have to work for high profile to do good! Dragan is one of the most discussed artist in 2006 and maybe 2007...But don not think he's starving! If so he has a PHD in physiscs or something to look back on

But Dave hill, his style is way better then Jill! Fiscus is a good contender, but still I like dave more!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
Dragan is one of the most discussed artist in 2006 and maybe 2007...But don not think he's starving! If so he has a PHD in physiscs or something to look back on
Yep. In fact, just to throw this out there...I know someone, very well, who contacted Dragan and offered him $10K to show him his technique via emailed PSD. Offered non disclosure contract and everything.

This was after Dragan stopped selling his workflow for $300. And, in Poland $10K goes a long, long way. We are relocating to Prague in April, and I have checked money exchange. Dragan turned him down flat.

Dragan stated that he doesn't even like shooting photos and spends up to a month working 1 image in photoshop.

So, starving...I think he is not. Rich? Not likely...not by what Americans think of as rich. But the guy ain't digging under his couch cushions for sausage money either.

Damien
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 AM

Sistere: I remember his old site! Before the flash site came along, he wrote that he would give tutoring via email and he would show picture by picture on how to do his style...back then I wasn't very interested in his style, but the style grew on me...fast...but then it was too late!

BTW: Does anybody know if Dave Hill is a member here? Maybe we should write a invite to get him in here? hehe...And maybe he could just show us a small fraction, so we could just feed our brains...becasue I'm hungry and little info goes a loooong way for me
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
Sistere: I remember his old site! Before the flash site came along, he wrote that he would give tutoring via email and he would show picture by picture on how to do his style...back then I wasn't very interested in his style, but the style grew on me...fast...but then it was too late!

BTW: Does anybody know if Dave Hill is a member here? Maybe we should write a invite to get him in here? hehe...And maybe he could just show us a small fraction, so we could just feed our brains...becasue I'm hungry and little info goes a loooong way for me
Same here man. For months I saw where he was offering his work flow and I kept thinking about it; wasn't quite as into retouching as I am now. Then, maybe two months later I think "Yeah, I would love that work flow" and I go back and he no longer offers it. I was kicking myself for a year! Ah hell, I still am kicking myself.

I even tried to find someone who had previously bought and buy it from them, but I couldn't find anyone. Hint Hint...anyone?

As far as Dave Hill being a member here, if he is I highly doubt he would ever speak up. Can you imagine the sheer volume of PMs and questions he would get...lol

Well, we could always get a retouchpro.com posse together and go crash one of his shoots, threaten to corrupt his data cards if he doesn't talk.

Damien
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching