RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaphotos View Post
I've also heard it called 'Hyper-Real lighting'

Boy... I'm giving away all my hard work of tracking this info down. It's taken me months to find these links and I'm giving it all away in a few days... lol. Oh well, that's what this forum is about.
Yeah but it's MUCH appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM

I agree, it's more about balancing the existing light with flash and head placement then anything else. Here's a quick "down and dirty" shot I just came in from doing. Explaining too much about lighting is deviating from the topic of this forum.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...fore-after.jpg

G
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Hey guys, I`ve found out new info about the dave hill effect and I thought I`d share it with you. Recently I`ve been working for a studio which uses the same camera Dave does: a Hasselblad and a Phase One p45+ . I`ve tried applying lucis art to photos of that quality and it wouldn`t work but it worked pretty well with the photos from my canon 30d. So dave couldn`t have used lucis art as a plugin.... respectable photographers don`t like to use plugins from different reasons...one of the reasons is the very large format of the image. Can you imagine that the biggest tiff format image coming directly from the camera to the computer has from 100 to 400MB? After photoshopped the tiff format result takes up to 4Gb. The conclusion is that most of the plugins will not work on very high resolution photos. I also converted the tiff images to jpeg and still didn`t work. I think is all about lighting and using multiple shots at different exposures and of course a lot of layers, masks and ps work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubic View Post
Hey guys, I`ve found out new info about the dave hill effect and I thought I`d share it with you. Recently I`ve been working for a studio which uses the same camera Dave does: a Hasselblad and a Phase One p45+ . I`ve tried applying lucis art to photos of that quality and it wouldn`t work but it worked pretty well with the photos from my canon 30d. So dave couldn`t have used lucis art as a plugin.... respectable photographers don`t like to use plugins from different reasons...one of the reasons is the very large format of the image. Can you imagine that the biggest tiff format image coming directly from the camera to the computer has from 100 to 400MB? After photoshopped the tiff format result takes up to 4Gb. The conclusion is that most of the plugins will not work on very high resolution photos. I also converted the tiff images to jpeg and still didn`t work. I think is all about lighting and using multiple shots at different exposures and of course a lot of layers, masks and Photoshop work.
I has nothing to do with camera, a pixel is a pixel. And how many times is said, that you CANNOT take multiple exposures with humans without getting ruined photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaphotos View Post
I've also heard it called 'Hyper-Real lighting'

Taylor can also be found posting on the Alien Bees forum which discusses different lighting set-ups in depth. Here is a link to his profile from where you can find his previous posts and examples and, believe it or not, he also mentions his lighting set-ups. (P S: I'm not sure if you have to register with this forum first to get the link to work)

Boy... I'm giving away all my hard work of tracking this info down. It's taken me months to find these links and I'm giving it all away in a few days... lol. Oh well, that's what this forum is about.
thats my friend taylor.he is an amazing photographer and photo editor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 PM

mtmm: I don't think that DH take multiple exposures of humans! I've seen his behind the scene material and if you look at his Dan Heder photo shoot he only takes random shots of the guy! what I do think, is that he uses multiple exposures of the background to get everything in focus and well lighted(is that correct English )
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM

my latest sad attempt

http://www.plushimages.net/pics/arr.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 PM

despite the fact, that this is a retouching forum, I believe many of us are photographers? and in that case, I think there should be much more discussion on the use of lights in hills photos, because without the knowledge, his post production is nothing. The reason I believe he doesnt tonemap or lucis art it, is the fact that he uses those lights. If youve seen his shots, youre looking at more than three or four lights ususally, and he's using all those lights to light every aspect of the photo, to have detail in every area. Im seeing alot of people use lucis art to bring out their details, but hills already got it. Quite a few of his shots are also composites, thus the sharpness of foreground to background. thats just my perspective and thoughts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianwilcox View Post
I have made some progress in dismantling this technique, although it is not 100% yet. I have found that it is really all about the lighting. There is a lighting technique that is called "surreal lighting". This creates 90% of the look for me. Then it is just some tedious retouching, and tons (and tons) of adjustment layers in photoshop.

wanna give us a run down on your lighting setup and your post processing?

Rocksteady,
Danno~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by namphoto View Post
despite the fact, that this is a retouching forum, I believe many of us are photographers? and in that case, I think there should be much more discussion on the use of lights in hills photos, because without the knowledge, his post production is nothing. The reason I believe he doesnt tonemap or lucis art it, is the fact that he uses those lights. If youve seen his shots, youre looking at more than three or four lights ususally, and he's using all those lights to light every aspect of the photo, to have detail in every area. Im seeing alot of people use lucis art to bring out their details, but hills already got it. Quite a few of his shots are also composites, thus the sharpness of foreground to background. thats just my perspective and thoughts.
Me thinks you have nailed it and just summed up six months of DH discussion with over 400 posts...
Just my thoughts after reading everything here and watching all the vids and seeing his set up on the DH site
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching