RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeagle View Post
should note no lucis was used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Me thinks you have nailed it and just summed up six months of DH discussion with over 400 posts...
Just my thoughts after reading everything here and watching all the vids and seeing his set up on the DH site
It's the end result that counts really! I think the journey trough all the post have been a blast to read! Trying different tips and tricks people have shared! The lighting is crucial here, I would love to learn more on what f/shot shutter time the placement of lights and stuff! It's fun to see that this thread has come a loooooooong way since it's earlier posts! I've learn a lot! Thanks to all who contribute!

Let's talk lighting technique, people
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 PM

Cool Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Her is a shot I did.

I think the lighting is pretty close. there is no retouch on it, exept a high pass filter set at overlay for a little sharpness.

I think he does a lot of photoshop to get his effect. it's not only the lighting.

I would have needed more props in between the background (my shower curtain) and me to get a better effect!

What do you guys think!

(i have aded the lighting set-up so you could have peak!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _U6L1604.1.jpg (66.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg _U6L1606.1.jpg (94.4 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by zogdart; 01-12-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2008, 11:41 PM

the easiest way to emulate hills lighting in my opinion would be to follow the standard greenberg set up. two left and right in the front softboxed, two left and right hair lighting gridded or softboxed, and a beauty dish fill. that pretty much gives you all the detail around the head.

also looking at hills post production, i think people try to hard to lighten and darken the areas they think look light or dark, but the basics come to this- you gotta really think about what would be light and dark in reality, the deepest areas would be shaded the darkest and the highest points would be the lightest.

i know i talk like i know what im doing, and i assure you i do. and i promise ill show some stuff ive done, just my cameras been down for a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namphoto View Post
the easiest way to emulate hills lighting in my opinion would be to follow the standard greenberg set up. two left and right in the front softboxed, two left and right hair lighting gridded or softboxed, and a beauty dish fill. that pretty much gives you all the detail around the head.

also looking at hills post production, i think people try to hard to lighten and darken the areas they think look light or dark, but the basics come to this- you gotta really think about what would be light and dark in reality, the deepest areas would be shaded the darkest and the highest points would be the lightest.

i know i talk like i know what im doing, and i assure you i do. and i promise ill show some stuff ive done, just my cameras been down for a bit.

can't wait! HURRY!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namphoto View Post

Huh?.....why do you need a camera to show "stuff you've done"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George B View Post
Huh?.....why do you need a camera to show "stuff you've done"?
because we just talked about how lighting is crucial and i need a camera to show those lights?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 12:15 PM

Hey guys,

I really cannot believe that you don't realize that David Hill's pictures are HDR created with tools like Photomatix. And is not so difficult to ask your model to sit for ~3 seconds, how long will take the camera to shoot 3 different exposures ...

Let me give you some thousands of other examples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsyrba/471380721/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92832952@N00/163042946/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenhorr/378774004/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecile-c/217688590/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightpainter/150410530/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michele...chi/391928906/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/estradasbiz/327291047/

You got the idea, just go on FLICKR and search for HDR, Photomatix, Photomatix portraits ...

From my point of view, this kind of portraits doesn't have to much in common with Photography ... it's like you will have a laptop with you, but you will use the iPhone to connect to the internet ... this photography is like I will take some monsters from computer games and pretend their are portraits ... portrait is capturing a unique feeling, moment ...

Just take a look at below examples done by myself ... I screwed up some pictures on a bridge in my home town, just look at them how ugly they are by themselves ... then I load them in Photomatix, generate HDR picture and apply Tone Mapping effect and play with settings there ... this is not photography ...

You can visit this link http://www.radutheodor.com/?p=12 for some more examples of before and after ...

Good luck!

P.S.: By the way, do you see any moving object in his photos? Can you wonder why ... ;-) ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_2420.JPG (65.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_2421.JPG (58.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_2422.JPG (67.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 1_1.jpg (77.1 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by radutheodor; 01-13-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 12:55 PM

wow you solved it! whoo hooooooo!

on a serious note, those examples are FAAAAAR from dave hill's technique. I don't doubt there is some tone mapping going on but your examples aren't close.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 PM

@mrbeagle:

wooo hooo, the only way to find out what exactly David is doing to his pictures is to sit next to him while he's process them.

On a serious note, there is nothing special to those pictures from my point of view ... there is not to much to demystify ... it's about how much time you have to spend to tweak Tone Mapping and other similar stuff ... nobody can tell you what exact settings DH using in his photos ... each photo, depend on the subject, light, background, will need a different processing ...

Regarding examples which I gave, I took the idea, those were the first 5 photos found by doing the search, if go into detail ... the difference between DH HDR's and other's HDR's is the subject from the photography ... DH is preparing his scene, his going out there for professional models, his arranging the background, the foreground, he's trying to get an idea out of his photos ... it's obvious that if I will take 5 exposures of a picture with me standing like in a passport picture and apply Tone Mapping it will still be useless ...

I will show you some more examples from flickr, I really don't have time for this now ...

Last edited by radutheodor; 01-13-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching