RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:25 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

wow finally got to the end of this 32 page thread.
No one has mentioned this and its how I think in terms of money and business.
DH in a vid and also on his blog says he uses Lucis Art . He does not deny it after the comment. Most here think its a comment said in jest. However , in terms of endorsement , why push a product if you arent using it or getting something out of it? It's not like hes in a bar and says it, hes fully aware of the ad play thats getting on the Internet. All it does is send people to purchase those plugins. Why just mention that particular plugin? Hes a a stage where his endorsement could mean money to him and whatever company hes "pluggin" .
Doesnt add up that hes not using it to me .
He does flat out say he doesnt use HDR , never does he follow up and say " no , I'm not using Lucis Art " .
MHO.

And in the end the company that makes Lucis Art is just laughing to the bank. Cuz it aint cheap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 AM

Biwa ~ listen to the interview pelle kindly posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2008, 04:33 AM

Yes, that podcast reveals that Dave is not using neither hdr or lucis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Biwa ~ listen to the interview pelle kindly posted.
will do , I was burnt out on DH after 2.5 hours of reading this thread lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM

I need to clear up some mis-information here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biwa View Post
He does flat out say he doesnt use HDR , never does he follow up and say " no , I'm not using Lucis Art " .
MHO.

And in the end the company that makes Lucis Art is just laughing to the bank. Cuz it aint cheap.
You should go find some of his posts. He's made a few posts on other forums. In them, he's said SEVERAL times that he'll sit down and tell someone how he does it for a $20 or a Corona but if you mention HDR or Lucis Art it's off.

In fact, look here: http://www.virb.com/davehill

As for the cameras he's using, if you pay a attention to his videos he's used several cameras. He's got a full-frame Canon 1D(s?) of some sort (not a Nikon) and a Hasselblad. He also shoots with Canon Prime lenses, and H1 lenses exclusively.

Much of the look he achives is done through composition (shooting a scene, then putting the subject (who he's also shot) into that scene) and proper lighting. In his lighting entourage he's got no less than two softboxes, an octobox, beauty dishes, several White Lightning 1600 strobes with 10 degree grids in them, a ring flash, and a slew of random Profoto gear and stands. It's not difficult to deduce this if you pay attention.

Now, he's said he's no Photoshop Guru. So, I'm assuming a lot of the stuff is done with simple methods using good composition and excellent source images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
He's got a full-frame Canon 1D(s?) of some sort
Pretty sure it's a 5D.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Pretty sure it's a 5D.
Then he's got the battery grip on the bottom. Due to it's size I'd expected it to be a 1Ds of some sort, but actually, you're right. Looking at the video it has a direct to printer button on the back. The upper 1D's don't have that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 PM

Well im pretty new here.. And have spent 2 days reading this thread. I would like to say that (for what its worth) I dont believe that he is using any plugin. It looks from almost all of his shoots that he uses a "butterfly" lighting system. I heard that was the wrong term for the lighting I am speaking about, but its the lighting where you have two lights behind the subjects casting a highlight on the side of the body. Not too sure if anyone knows what I am talking about. I have been doing a little work but nothing worthy of even putting up here.

I do believe that there is no 'quick fix' He mentioned in the lightsource podcast that if it only took 2-3 hours like some of us are doing, they would turn out the same as ours.

And HDR is definately out of the question.... Just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM

By now everybody that has been keeping up with this should realize that what he say's he is doing is what he say's he is doing...... period !!!

It's good lighting and his post production without the plugins everybody suspects. He seems like a straight forward guy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 AM

i'm still asking myself, if some of you ever tried lucisart.

it does some cool post, but acutally it's totally noisy and makes and super ugly output, when you zoom in...well...case closed, aye?
(and there's been a super nice tutorial, where you can cheat your whyeth with a plain photoshop)

btw - wouldn't it be nice if someone took the effort to kinda summarize this whole thread? not for me tho, but for the order of this forum. people posted so much interesting effort, that goes beyond highpass and manual coloring, so it's just apparent to put all this information in to one post...or is it intended to keep the "unworthy" off the secrets by hiding it in thousands of pages in this hread?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching