RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxaero View Post
i'm still asking myself, if some of you ever tried lucisart.

it does some cool post, but acutally it's totally noisy and makes and super ugly output, when you zoom in...well...case closed, aye?
(and there's been a super nice tutorial, where you can cheat your whyeth with a plain photoshop)

btw - wouldn't it be nice if someone took the effort to kinda summarize this whole thread? not for me tho, but for the order of this forum. people posted so much interesting effort, that goes beyond highpass and manual coloring, so it's just apparent to put all this information in to one post...or is it intended to keep the "unworthy" off the secrets by hiding it in thousands of pages in this hread?
I've used Lucis quite a few times and I don't believe he uses it.

Personally, if his 'secret' or workflow is in here, I'd expect people to go through and read. Sure you WANT his style but obviously it's highly desired, so do you deserve it? Seems to me if you want to get close to what he does you can't expect everything to be handed to you (not that you do, just in general) on a silver platter, you have to go out and earn it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 AM

This will be like the dragan threads.. they will go on and on and on with out any real progress.
People say lighting..?
I can post a shot that is lit exactly the same if not better than Dave Hill.
and it will not have that look.
He is copping out saying it is the lighting.. well that is BS.
Sure the lighting is the start but the effect he is getting is some deep layers and color masking etc..
He is more than likely using Lightroom with presets and the shadow highlights tool plus adding extreme contrast to his images.etc...
But it kills me when people say it his lighting.. I just think that is BS.
No trick to his lighting at all.
2 Kickers from side and slightly behind... and ringflash for some fill of the shadows..
WATCH his videos people!!!
No rocket science there.
His pictures would be just as average as the average joe if he did not have his POST going on and some "cool" looking young punk rockstars...:+}
That is rather obvious I hope or you all are really suckers!! :+}
Snook
By the way you can a look really similar using Lucis like posted earlier.. Just do it in small increments adding a noise reduction or smoothing layer afterwards.
Put the layer on luminosity so it does no look so harsh/orange on the skin tones..:+}
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 AM

Well to be quite honest I have to agree with what snook said. The Dave Hill effect is about post processing just as much as lighting.

I took this shot below using afraction of the lighting set up Dave uses, just 3 strobes and then I post processed for that pop look and i reckon I'm not far off.

If the subject in the shot was ghost face killa instead of my mate Brendan then it would be spot on!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2305/...385387e7_b.jpg

Visit my photoblog at:

http://www.imagespike.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM

Long, your file goes to a dead link..?
Just thought you'd like to know..:+]
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Long, your file goes to a dead link..?
Just thought you'd like to know..:+]
Snook
thanks snook! Here is the link again:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2305/...385387e7_b.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 AM

What was your set-up there..?
I think also if you desaturate some parts of the picture you will be even Closer,
especially the skin tones a little.
But looks great, what was your workflow?
:+}
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 02:20 PM

it is lighting because youre not going to get anywhere without that first. you dont get anywhere without the foundations.

Last edited by namphoto; 02-28-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 02:31 PM

I totally agree with you namphoto. I think we have all established the fact that he uses lighting so can we please move on to what post processing he uses!

Snook, the shot I posted is the result of a good couple of hours of dodge and burning which i built up over a stack of layers, this gave the shot a kind of 3d look by way of increasing the tonal range of the shot.

I then pleyed around with the blending modes in order give the shot a little pop.

I have to tell you now, it took me about 5 or 6 hours post processing to get the finished look. This is largely a result of much trial and error!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
This will be like the dragan threads.. they will go on and on and on with out any real progress.
People say lighting..?
I can post a shot that is lit exactly the same if not better than Dave Hill.
and it will not have that look.
He is copping out saying it is the lighting.. well that is BS.
Sure the lighting is the start but the effect he is getting is some deep layers and color masking etc..
He is more than likely using Lightroom with presets and the shadow highlights tool plus adding extreme contrast to his images.etc...
But it kills me when people say it his lighting.. I just think that is BS.
No trick to his lighting at all.
2 Kickers from side and slightly behind... and ringflash for some fill of the shadows..
WATCH his videos people!!!
No rocket science there.
His pictures would be just as average as the average joe if he did not have his POST going on and some "cool" looking young punk rockstars...:+}
That is rather obvious I hope or you all are really suckers!! :+}
Snook
By the way you can a look really similar using Lucis like posted earlier.. Just do it in small increments adding a noise reduction or smoothing layer afterwards.
Put the layer on luminosity so it does no look so harsh/orange on the skin tones..:+}
Snook
Snook,
If you know anything about photography you'd know that without proper base lighting the shot might as well just be deleted. Lighting will make or break a shot, regardless of post.

Now, more importantly, it's not always a single shot. He says he doesn't do this all the time, but a great example is the jazz player in front of the truck. If you've seen his videos, you'll know that scene was shot in front of a busy street. When the final image was complete, it was in a dark alley. This is the art of composition and is largely ignored by people trying to 'duplicate' his style in a single photo.

Now at the same time, there are plenty of times he doesn't do composition shots. A good example is some his shots of soulja boy. In the shots I broke down, he had two side lights (set up in a butterfly lighting configuration) with 10º grids in them, he had two soft boxes and an octobox as well as a ring flash for highlights. He shot much of this with a Canon 5D and a 28mm or 50mm lens. No ninja-Hasselblad gear.

Now, does the lighting MAKE the picture? Hell no. Pleny of people have shot with double the lighting and not gotten the publicity he has gotten. Of COURSE it's his post process. I don't believe anyone is denying that. However, without good lighting even a good workflow will give you shitty output. One way or another, I don't believe what Dave Hill produces is a simple matter of "Lightroom presets." Besides the fact that lightroom is a relatively new product to the market it's almost insulting to suggest. Besides that, if it were that simple why hasn't one of the thousands of Dave Hill leghumpers figured it out yet? Just as he said, there isn't a Dave Hill Action that just mysteriously produces a good product. It takes experience in knowing what does what both on set and in post, gear, and hard work and lots of trial and error.

Hell, he's had the same workflow for quite some time. Must be nice shooting similiar ways and using the same type of workflow and always getting paid

All I'm saying is you have to give credit where credit is due. He takes good photos and has an amazing post workflow that's made him some very decent cash.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 PM

shadow detail. amen.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching