RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

You ain't getting no shadow detail with a 5D... You know that right?
That is one reason he fills the shadows a little with the ringflash.
Also Dave does use a HassleBlad every once in a while he has stated.
Also I am not trying to take credit from anybody and completely agree that it is obviuos that Dave Hill is talented, That is beside the point.
I will state it again. My point is that NO LIGHTING is going to give you the DaveHill Look.
IT IS POST PROCESSING...
Did you hear that?
I just do not like the fact that people giving credit to his lighting and saying that is what give his look.
BS.
With his processing you could have 1 maybe 2 lights and and you could get his same look if you POST PROCESS it correctly.
Also IF you knew anything about Post you would know that Dave Hill has Copied the Jim ficus/jill greenberg effect. which they were doing when Dave Hill was popping zits!
HE just focused it towards young bands from Tennessee where dave hill started his photography...:+}
All the best to Dave Hill.
But these people in here saying it is lighting obviously do not know what they are talking about and are misleading the guys and girls that want to know what is going on..:+}
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 AM

snook your ego is over your head. if you know show much, show us your latest.
who ever said a 5d is what is giving the shadow detail, and you just said he uses the ringflash to get shadow detail. so obviously his lighting contributes. snook do you just come in here and say whatever is on your mind without reading what we say? ive said this so many times, lighting is the foundation. the foundation of any photo is the lighting. if you dont have a good ratio and you try to fix it in ps youre screwed. if you havent got enough light youre done. one maybe two lights? heck then you better some big reflectors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
You ain't getting no shadow detail with a 5D... You know that right?
That is one reason he fills the shadows a little with the ringflash.
Also Dave does use a HassleBlad every once in a while he has stated.
Also I am not trying to take credit from anybody and completely agree that it is obviuos that Dave Hill is talented, That is beside the point.
I will state it again. My point is that NO LIGHTING is going to give you the DaveHill Look.
IT IS POST PROCESSING...
Did you hear that?
I just do not like the fact that people giving credit to his lighting and saying that is what give his look.
BS.
With his processing you could have 1 maybe 2 lights and and you could get his same look if you POST PROCESS it correctly.
Also IF you knew anything about Post you would know that Dave Hill has Copied the Jim ficus/jill greenberg effect. which they were doing when Dave Hill was popping zits!
HE just focused it towards young bands from Tennessee where dave hill started his photography...:+}
All the best to Dave Hill.
But these people in here saying it is lighting obviously do not know what they are talking about and are misleading the guys and girls that want to know what is going on..:+}

Jim Fiscus:
http://altpick.com/spot/jim_fiscus/fiscus_02.jpg

Jill Greenberg:
http://mgguzman.smugmug.com/photos/116058358-M.jpg

Dave Hill:
http://img1.nnm.ru/imagez/gallery/f/...71dc33d5fb.jpg

You're right. Those are ALL the same.
/sarcasm.
Do they have similar aspects? Yes. Are they the same? No. You'll also note that in Dave's interview, he talks about watching others and picking up on concepts and styles (such as how to do composition shots).

Now here's what is interesting. Fiscus is a well known composition photographer. Greenberg's photos show exactly the same lighting setup as Hill's. A light on either side, a light above, etc. So, two photogs you listed, use the 'butterfly' lighting setup. Even a good number of Jim's look like they use a similiar lighting setup. Kinda odd don't ya think?

So fine, you can tell those people who just want the look that they can do it on a budget and cheaply. You think you're getting them somewhere? What happened to "photographers" who learned, made mistakes, and perfected techniques? Everyone these days seems just to want the answer and doesn't care about what it takes to make it actually good or learning why it does what it does.

It also seems to me that you'd rather harp on the photoshop side of it when looking around at other photographers products show clearly that lighting is an important part. Say whatever you'd like if you feel that all lighting is a sham, by all means go and light your scenes with a pair of headlights and an on camera flash. As for me, I'm very glad I've invested time and money into lights and learning exactly what does what. If you think everything can be done in post, all the power to you.

Last edited by Jeeves; 02-29-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Jeeves you still do not get it.. Do you?
:+]
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Jeeves is right still...
Honestly, I think that there are too many of us photographers hoping that amazing post skills can save us from mediocre lighting and composition. We gots to learn how to simplify folks.. The best commercial and editorial shots out there are usually well planned and well executed... Hill and Fiscus need their post to make it look the way it does, but the shots themselves are the chunk of the work. The metallic look only works when you light properly.

Lighting, composition and post. They have to compliment each other. But i'd suggest that if you're going to be more dependent on one, be dependent on the shooting element and not the post element. Anyone can light poorly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM

I agree with you 100%.
It is the whole package no doubt.
Again it is obvious that Dave Hill is VERY talented. No argument there.
I was trying to go another direction but got mis-understood..?
In any case it is quite obvious there is a lot of Post going on.
Keep up the great stuff Dave and I hope no-body ever figures out your tricks...:+]
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Very Close!! What did you do????
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Very Close!!! What did you do???
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 AM

Damn... that Thread is still running.. keep on going*g*

lg Calvin
http://www.calvinhollywood.de
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 AM

His work looks good.... I seen this last year on www.photography-on-the.net... Also, all these teenagers "artist" ON MYSPACE are doing this with their personal digital camera... I am surprise these teenagers don't a DSLR?? Their technique is awesome! They upload their picture, then BANG! It look just as good as Dave! Seriously!! Check it out on MYSPACE!

Here is the link and a chance to buy the DVD on virtual painting... I am quite sure you can increase (intensify) shadows, lighting, and etc.... It will always look the same regardless of the camera. I am still practicing!!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=260882

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
Superkoax!!!
Dave is using a Hasselblad H2 with a Phase One P 45 digital back that is 39 milion pixels.You have notice corectcly that his pictures are sharp allover.Photographicly speeking that is hard to achieve in one exposure because of Depth of Field which is "controled" by the lens and the aperture.So he makes multiple exposures, he focus on all elements separatly and then combine it in one stylish photo.The thing is that this digital back has a dynamic range of
12 stops.If you compare this with the best slr Canon 1Ds Mark II which has only 8.1 stops dynamic range you will understand why is no noise.

Dynamic range can be translated like this: the ability of the sensor to handle the shadows but also highlights in the same frame.So when you have 39mil pixels and 12 dynamic range + multiple exposures+ smart lighting+ big talent = the only one Dave Hill.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching