RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
The efforts by Scott Kelby have none of the above and to me just show that no quick fix with a lucis is going to get you remotely near Dave Hill.
Not sure if you actually read his blog post entirely, but here's some stuff from it:

"I haven’t talked with Dave or even been able to replicate his look myself. So, in short, I could be totally wrong about how I think he does it.

Also, I want to make it clear that I am absolutely NOT saying that the Lucis Art plug-in will give you Dave Hill’s look; what I am saying is that the plug-in gives you a gritty, dirty look that I personally like, and while it does somewhat remind me of Dave’s look; it’s just a plug-in and Dave’s work is MUCH more than that."

"Lucisart won’t turn you into a Dave Hill, the look it gives is in the ballpark enough that I’ve seen people arguing back and forth in forums that his whole look is either based on this plug-in (he says he doesn’t use it, and I believe him), and/or HDR (as I mentioned earlier; he says he doesn’t use HDR either; I believe that as well)."

Perhaps you're not giving Scott Kelby enough credit.
He clearly is aware this is not the Dave Hill look, but something similar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2008, 02:10 AM

Even if there was a "dave hill" plugin which actually got closer than lucis, i wouldnt want to use it. this would teach people nothing about retouching and only about locating the filter menu. How soon would that get boring? There is much more joy in creating something rather than having it created for you and trying to pass it off as your own hard work. Lucis has its place but please...not in this thread!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Not sure if you actually read his blog post entirely, but here's some stuff from it:

"I haven’t talked with Dave or even been able to replicate his look myself. So, in short, I could be totally wrong about how I think he does it.

Also, I want to make it clear that I am absolutely NOT saying that the Lucis Art plug-in will give you Dave Hill’s look; what I am saying is that the plug-in gives you a gritty, dirty look that I personally like, and while it does somewhat remind me of Dave’s look; it’s just a plug-in and Dave’s work is MUCH more than that."

"Lucisart won’t turn you into a Dave Hill, the look it gives is in the ballpark enough that I’ve seen people arguing back and forth in forums that his whole look is either based on this plug-in (he says he doesn’t use it, and I believe him), and/or HDR (as I mentioned earlier; he says he doesn’t use HDR either; I believe that as well)."

Perhaps you're not giving Scott Kelby enough credit.
He clearly is aware this is not the Dave Hill look, but something similar.
Point taken Captain Hook, slapped wrists for not reading the blog post in its entirety!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2008, 02:38 PM

My first post....Whooopeeee.

Just saw this on Fredmiranda and immediately remembered this thread. Not 100% the same, but this is cool considering it is all done in the RAW converter....http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/.../1094#comments

Thank you all...I am already learning some neat tricks on this forum.

Last edited by Dely; 03-10-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
I do not think so.Just because you have seen it in his hands does not mean that he use it.This guy is an actor and he is making nice money.It is all about show!!!

BUT you can buy a 5D and prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You fail again. Look at his backstage videos. You must be somekind of a wizard to turn everything upside down.

But to make my point water clear, do you feel owned?

Quote:
Dave Hill wrote:
Hey,
Thanks!
Ya, I used the H2 for a bunch of stuff this summer. Ghostface, Chris Brown, WWE Magazine, etc. It's slow, but still usable. I use the 5D for everything else. I have the 15mm fisheye, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 20mm 1.8, and also the Canon 70-200, but I rarely use it. Just for travel mainly. Ya, I like to use a ring flash a lot. Lata!
dave
And yes, I have Canon 5D.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 PM

Mtmm ~ what forum did Dave post that on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 PM

http://www.photographyisrad.com/

In his own blog.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM

Ah. I should read the comments more often.
Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM

Heres a new interview with Dave on the strobist blog

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/03...dave-hill.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
You fail again. Look at his backstage videos. You must be somekind of a wizard to turn everything upside down.

But to make my point water clear, do you feel owned?

And yes, I have Canon 5D.

Man!! Do not want to argue with you! I have canon 5D and phase one digital back on a mamiya 645 afd.I have seen the difference.5D has a 8 exposures P45 has 12.You take a look at those images and think in terms of light and shadow.
NO WAY 5D can do that to a good quality.If you want i can send you a raw file from my back to see what i talking about.He is recording with a camera what he wants.He has a secrets and he would do anything to keep it.

That is my opinion! You have the right to have another one.You can see some of my photos on www.cristianmihai.ro.If you have similar experience and images maybe you will share some!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching