RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:06 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

One more thing I feel the need to pop back in for. No, as you may have guessed I am not a fan of this look (niether of them). I do respect Dave Hill for finding a look that a lot of folks do like, it just doesn't do it for me.
I set about trying to find the secret because I believed I had devised a way to come to that end that no one else had yet tried. Hopefully if this thread continues, and I've no doubt it will, others will try starting with a Hill and working backwards rather than the endless stream of "close but no cigar" attempts.
The Dave Hill look reminds me of the images my father captured over 40 years ago on his vacation to Colorado. Those images, now show a bygone era, not by virtue of the subject captured but by the color... all bright green and dark blue and a smattering of red for good measure. No orange, no yellow,little cyan, not much contrast either. I look at those and I see first, and old photo, only second a chipmunk with a mountain backdrop.
I have tried to bring them back to the day he shot them and it is all but impossible. Whatever my dad saw that day that made him pull out his camera and shoot what was then, for him, a very expesive photo, whatever beauty was in tht sky or in the sunset the subtleties of oranges and yellows in those rocks, the contrast between the bolders and crevaces, I can only imagen. They are gone forever.
I hope that when you do find the "as close to Dave Hill look as you can get" process that works for you, if it's an important photo, save the origional.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
It's darker (??). Is that an "LA" gang sign?

Not sure about the signs, that is Dave Hill on our left though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 12:57 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Thanks for your followup and obvious efforts! I hope my "It's darker (??)" comment didn't bother you... ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 04:26 PM

No not at all, I took it with all the humor you intended and answered it in kind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinhollywood View Post
The important thing is the light.... the post is just 30 %.

The Scott Kelby way is ok... but not really good lightning.

Light from all sides and some contrast and colour manipulation there

Attachment 57551

Have a nice week all

lg Calvin
http://www.calvinhollywood.de
This is the way if anyone tries to copy Dave Hill, lighting. Some noobs are trying to do it with a shitty raw files and with no required lighting. And how blind people are? Some user was saying here that "recovery to the max, clarity to the max, fill light to the max", LOL. Just try it on human skin and in FULL resolution shot and you´ll see that it´s no near Dave Hill. If you rape your raw-file with every slider at its peak, it will not pass at full resolution without terrible halos and noise and other shit.

Lighting + d/b is the basics, what else? Nobody knows. But that is for sure, that Dave is working with his Wacom alot.

Just buy that Ghostface killah book and take a careful look at it. Photos are just perfect in every way technically.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2008, 05:49 AM

True...No one click or a 30 min. miracle guys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Cool Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
This is the way if anyone tries to copy Dave Hill, lighting. Some noobs are trying to do it with a shitty raw files and with no required lighting. And how blind people are? Some user was saying here that "recovery to the max, clarity to the max, fill light to the max", LOL.

This is what I said
"Try that and you will see that somewhere in there lies the "mystery" of Dave Hill."
I have seen more than one tutorial using this method, the one I quoted is by a recognized, photoshop certified trainer who writes for photosop user magazine. Obviously this is a starting point and one must adjust the sliders for each image.
I stand by that until you or someone else comes up with a better explanation than "it's all done with lighting" which is the photographic explanation equivilant to the magicians "it's all done with mirrors". Which translates to "duh, I dunno either and I have nothing useful to contribute but I wanted to say sOmEtHiNg."

BTW, I wanted to be the first on the board to use flippy caps after you were the first to use the term noob.

K, nuff of this picture stuff, wanna play worlds of warcraft mtmm?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 PM

My try...I tried not to overdo it. What do you think?

http://digitalminds.deviantart.com/art/Gante-85690545
http://digitalminds.deviantart.com/art/Gante-2-85741005

Greetz
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2008, 04:19 PM

I don't want to see any more freakin pictures posted unless people show their workflow
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
I stand by that until you or someone else comes up with a better explanation than "it's all done with lighting" which is the photographic explanation equivilant to the magicians "it's all done with mirrors". Which translates to "duh, I dunno either and I have nothing useful to contribute but I wanted to say sOmEtHiNg."
I´m not sure how much you do know about lighting, but do you actually believe that you can produce good enough highlites and shadows with no proper lighting to build a foundation for D/B retouching? Do you believe that Dave just sets up over 6 flashes just to show off? Or is it possible that with proper lighting you can generate a pure clean raw-file to work with? You can do magic with several flashes including ringflash. A raw file itself can already be really unreal and like rendered. After that nobody knows what kind of a technique Dave uses. What I think is that Dave does spend lots of time with Wacom drawing everything with d/b.

Last edited by Mtmm; 05-16-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching