RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

OK.. I'll take back the Loser part as that is not like me...:+}
But Will not take back what I have said about you and other that do the same thing...
So don't feel bad there are many that do the same.
And you say why don't I help??
I have helped A lot and always willing to help unlike others.
I have work coming out the Butt so I do not care about any secret formulas or lighting...:+}
Just trying to stand up for the people in here and retouching forums as it is where I learned all my stuff...:+}
Plus I am not worried about showing a technique... you think your going to get Dave's Job because you know his "trick"... Don't think so...
What you think your going to take a snapshot of your little sister's next door neighbor friend and press an action and it will become a dave hill photo... No..
In any case if you watch daves videos... his lights (not lighting) are crap.. half the stuff is white lighting.. which is Beginners type lighting source
and not very Professional.. although it really does not matter.. But is a point.

Mtmm do not take it personally... there are many like you in the world so your not a alone...:+}
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 09:57 AM

One more thing, that i think enybody didn't mentioned before... is use of low mm lenses while shooting... and knowing the way to use it, to enlarge what we want on finall photo.

For me, its not just photography, and its not just retouch... one can't go without another. Good photo, and profesional retouch... this is what DH is doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Ps... Snook, somebody asked for lightning Mtmm is usinh, so he did reply for that post, so don't say, that he is showing up, or alike. He answered for a question. And again... he is earning money for the things he does. Maybe U should watch his movies on YouTube? So maybe U will also attack Microsoft to go opensource and stop earning money on things, that they only know?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Boy Cyberrek that was really helpful post...
Thank you Thank you Thank you
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Haha, the beefing has to stop.

Let me break it down the way I see it. MMTM does not have to share anything - no one does. Sharing is appreciated, but not a requirement. I mean, if he applied himself and was able to figure it all out, then why would anyone expect him to share his discoveries just like that? I don't expect him to. For the record, props to him. His samples are bomb, his work is bomb.

And on the flip, if you're like me, and haven't figured it out yet - don't let the fact that mmtm knows how to do it discourage you - it should inspire / motivate you to continue with your attempts. Nothing is to be laughed at either - Lighting and sharpness are crucial. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit, so if you don't light your shots properly, then there's no way they're going to look the same no matter how much post you do. But Experiment. Keep with it. Your shots - bring them here for feedback if you want. Who knows, maybe throughout your experimentation you will be able to develop your own stylized look. Hill and Fiscus pioneered something here, so maybe someone here**can find a way to develop a spinoff style of their own that might earn itself it's own "demystification" thread someday.

Because really, Who wants to be known as a dave hill knockoff?**Dave Hill is Dave Hill. You Be You. Now let's drop the bullshit and make some Money!

Here's where I am at. This is a piece i did for a Band called turtleboy in Montreal. I didn't have enough lights on hand for the hyper real look, and only shot it with a d70 - But I am confident that if I shot it again with a 1ds mark III and a half dozen lights, it would be a crisper and sharper image.

That's it. Hope all is crispy.

EDIT: File won't upload, will try again this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turtle_boy.jpg (99.9 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by mrkronk; 06-02-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM

MrKronk I agree with many of your statements..:+}
No one has to do anything...
I also have the D&H look as much as I want.
I actually have not done it to any pictures in over a year now..
I always had problems with the skin with lucis.. that is when I learned the Luminosity layer, which helps a lot but still not the best for people.
I was really standing up for many hear and quite sick of the "Hey Look I can do it too" And I am not going to tell you...:}
Those type of people are NOT what these forums are about...:+}
Otherwise go put your stuff up on flicker and not here...:+}
You all know what I mean. you weren't born yesterday I imagine...
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkronk View Post
Haha, the beefing has to stop.

Let me break it down the way I see it. MMTM does not have to share anything - no one does. Sharing is appreciated, but not a requirement. I mean, if he applied himself and was able to figure it all out, then why would anyone expect him to share his discoveries just like that? I don't expect him to. For the record, props to him. His samples are bomb, his work is bomb.

And on the flip, if you're like me, and haven't figured it out yet - don't let the fact that mmtm knows how to do it discourage you - it should inspire / motivate you to continue with your attempts. Nothing is to be laughed at either - Lighting and sharpness are crucial. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit, so if you don't light your shots properly, then there's no way they're going to look the same no matter how much post you do. But Experiment. Keep with it. Your shots - bring them here for feedback if you want. Who knows, maybe throughout your experimentation you will be able to develop your own stylized look. Hill and Fiscus pioneered something here, so maybe someone here**can find a way to develop a spinoff style of their own that might earn itself it's own "demystification" thread someday.

Because really, Who wants to be known as a dave hill knockoff?**Dave Hill is Dave Hill. You Be You. Now let's drop the bullshit and make some Money!

Here's where I am at. This is a piece i did for a Band called turtleboy in Montreal. I didn't have enough lights on hand for the hyper real look, and only shot it with a d70 - But I am confident that if I shot it again with a 1ds mark III and a half dozen lights, it would be a crisper and sharper image.

That's it. Hope all is crispy.

EDIT: File won't upload, will try again this afternoon.
That just goes to show the difference.. Yours quite obvious LUCIS..
The Skin is a dead give away...:+}
That is not happening in Dave's pictures no Mtmm's, no Obsilia(sP)..
The only reason I like to discover other peoples work flows is to improve upon what I already know and use it from "my" look..
Not to copy anybody...
Remember the "Dragan" threads...
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Lovin' the comments.

Here's my attempt though it has been a while since I've looked at a DH photo exclusively. I really wanted to branch out and do my own 'thang. ;-) I used 2 AB400's as hair light camera L/R and a AB800 w/ a softbox above for key lighting and a AB800 at 1/32 for a bit of fill.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27365208@N08/2545462107/
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM

Hey it looks interesting. What was your technique?

Thx.

Edit:snook305 youve got a private message.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM

For the record. My photos are not so close to DH that everybody thinks. Daves lighting technique is pretty hard to copy. He uses very precise lighting and he always has strong shadows, even in a models face.

For now I´m learning more about lighting, because I have found that to be the most important thing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching