RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
For the record. My photos are not so close to DH that everybody thinks. Daves lighting technique is pretty hard to copy. He uses very precise lighting and he always has strong shadows, even in a models face.

For now I´m learning more about lighting, because I have found that to be the most important thing.
Here I've added one from one of his more normal images and one from one of his clown images.

Look at the histogram, in any of his images. If he does use all this fabulous lighting then that histogram comes totaly in post.
Am I right or wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (94.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (99.0 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by crazyfly1; 06-02-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 05:08 PM

@moo:

Sure man, and thanks! My lighting really helped make the shot the way I visualized it b/c I had enough strobe power 1/200 at f/11 to overtake the sun - thus it looks darker than it really is outside. I did alot of corrections in Adobe Lightroom but they were just initial. In LR, I basically just increased my fill light by about 50 and my blacks by about 20/30 since it tended to be hard on the midtone/shadows. I really liked this b/c it did alot of the shadow/highlight changes everyone has been talking about thus far in the forum. I think that's one area of DH's work that we all agree on is crucial. But I've been a photographer long enough to know that proper lighting is essential to avoid halos, etc. when you do this. Once that was done, I did a desat by about -42 or so. (In hindsight, one of my failings in this version was that I think I did a desat too much -- but I'm willing to hear any one else's opinions.)

If you don't have LR, this can all be done in Bridge or Photoshop but I just like LR b/c I shoot raw, so these adjustments give me some leeway in terms of reducing color noise.

Once exported to photoshop, I did a bunch of manual stuff. I did a bleach bypass (tutorials abound on this) but further desaturated it (again I think that was a mistake) then I just smoothed the skin out some to give a surreal looking feel. To finish, I just spent about an hour and a half dodging and burning to taste.

Once again: this is my first real try on a DH type effect. I learned alot in hindsight. I'm far from being where I want to on this, but DH really did inspire me to try and shoot outside the box. I think I ended up with an image that looks a half stop underexposed, though it wasn't initially, and also my second failure is I think its a bit to desaturated. But I will say this: I have several other photos in this shoot that I did before I got my lighting correct - and they look like trash.

My personal opinion (worth less than a pence) is that DH is being honest when he says that lighting is what makes it all happen for him. Definitely there is post going on w/ him -- and lots of it -- but without the right lighting, no post will get him to where he wants his photos to be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
Here I've added one from one of his more normal images and one from one of his clown images.

Look at the histogram, in any of his images. If he does use all this fabulous lighting then that histogram comes totaly in post.
Am I right or wrong?
(OT: how did you add those lines in the image. are they proceduaral, like guides or what? cheers )
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 05:50 PM

It's a photoshop grid, you set the parameters in preferences (pixels at 33% for the rule of thirds setup). Then just make sure show grids and and show extras are turned on in the view menu.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
1) Does anyone know who created the stills in the beginning of the IronMan movie?
I was told by a friend of mine at Marvel that the photos in the Iron Man movie where done by Jill Greenberg.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 AM

When they first poped up on the screen I thought who ever did this had the skills of many of the discussions on this post. Thanks for the info. If you haven't seen the photos, they are great ...very clean, crisp, bright and great color. I'm sure the photo wasn't taken with a $200 Sony and retouched with Lucis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 AM

I agree with many of you that lighting is crutial to get these effects. Can some one break down which lights you would buy. I would assume you'd want something portable that doesn't require a truck, but I also assume Dave could afford the truck.

Snook...I've read your posts for sometime now. Your search for understanding and the agreed frustration (what happened to Patrick and Nancy?) with some who have posted. So if you finally learned the technique, are you now saying that you have decided now to share your work flow? What unlocked the understanding?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 AM

Look back at Gerry's very first post. One thing I liked that he provided was that he showed the gray layer of his dodge and burn. For someone who feels good about their dodge and burn technique would you show a before pic, after pic and the gray layer of the dodge and burn? Also what brush did you use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianwilcox View Post
I was told by a friend of mine at Marvel that the photos in the Iron Man movie where done by Jill Greenberg.
Jill is just a photographer who dont give enough credit to retoucher Amy Dresser.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 AM

Normally i'm using some crap from china: ech controled by its own lamp-control-panel-on-the-lapm - those are two 100W lights with umbrellas, and/ore softboxes + 2x Canon's Speed's (480+580). The main problem for me is those 100W lamps, that need 220V. The solutions would be to buy some kind of generator, that gives about 1kW. All depends, where U want to buy stuff, and also how much money U want to spend on it.
I have seen on one of the DH behind scenes thet back in a days, he was also using some kind of generator... now he uses some better stuff (lamps with external bateries packs and stuff), so its more quiet on the stage .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching