RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Hey, for those, who would like to find out something more, heres some of fine tutorials:
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik6MAbzlQ40
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=B_1xzq7EfHo
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYY_yHWZUo

And again, those are not DH strict, those are for ppl, who wants to learn something, and then try it by them self, and maybe get closer to the effect .

And going back to youtube movies... i'm not on a level, where i would like to show my workflow step by step on youtube (fast or not)... there is still too much of randomness in it... maybe someday .
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 AM

Hi everyone. I just joined this week and have to say this is a fantastic site. to the Dave Hill point, I am very interested in his look for certain photos of mine and have found two tutorials on the web that give a very close approximation of the Dave Hill style. I feel the 2nd link is the best.

http://www.diyphotography.net/creati...dave-hill-look
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobis...7594577686705/

In addition if you're a NAPP Member there's a video tutorial on the grunge look there as well.

Good Luck!
Jimi
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberek View Post
Hey, for those, who would like to find out something more, heres some of fine tutorials:
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik6MAbzlQ40
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=B_1xzq7EfHo
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYY_yHWZUo

And again, those are not DH strict, those are for ppl, who wants to learn something, and then try it by them self, and maybe get closer to the effect .

And going back to youtube movies... i'm not on a level, where i would like to show my workflow step by step on youtube (fast or not)... there is still too much of randomness in it... maybe someday .
Those are just basic examples of nothing related to Dave Hill. What we want to know is what Dave does with human skin. There is nothing special in sharpening images with high pass and blending modes. You can also go to cmyk space and sharpen only the black channel, try that, it´s pretty cool sharpening method.

Human skin in Daves photos is a mystery to me.

If you want to achieve DH-look, first thing to do is to forget a highpass filter, it does ruin photos at full resolution, it´s useless and way too over used in most cases. High pass over kill looks terrible and at Flickr you can see what I mean.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/4...e7ac3c.jpg?v=0
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 04:09 PM

Mtmm you have time expectancy for the Tutorial...
Bunch a people have been asking about it.
Thanks..
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 04:46 PM

Try this approach in camera Raw or Lightroom with a RAW image.

•Recovery = 100
•Fill Light = 100
•Blacks = Drag this slider to the right until photo looks balanced again, because setting the Fill Light at 100 will wash the photo out big time. In our example, I dragged it to 24
•Contrast = 100
•Clarity = 100
•Vibrance = 100
•Saturation = -81 (basically what I do here is drag the saturation all the way to the left, to -100 (which removes all color, making it a black and white image), and then I slowly drag back to the right until some of the color starts to return to the image.
If after making these settings, the image looks way too bright, you may have to decrease the Exposure just a little bit, by dragging the Exposure slider to the left. If it’s too dark; increase the Exposure (so basically, those are starting points).

The thing I learned, that “aha” moment from looking at Dave Hill’s images is that the skin on everybody (including the men) is silky smooth. In fact, it’s the level of skin smoothing we’d normally apply to photos of women, but most of the images on Dave’s site are men.

apply a 20 pixel Gaussian Blur to the entire image, then lower the Opacity of this layer to 50%. Then I add a Layer Mask to this layer (click the Layer Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers palette); get the Brush tool, choose a soft-edged brush, and then paint over his skin, while avoiding his eyes, eyebrows, lips, teeth, nostrils, hair—-these are details areas you want to keep crisp.

This is not mine, it's from the NAPP web site and works very well with no High Pass Sharpening.

Jimi
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi62 View Post
Try this approach in camera Raw or Lightroom with a RAW image.

•Recovery = 100
•Fill Light = 100
•Blacks = Drag this slider to the right until photo looks balanced again, because setting the Fill Light at 100 will wash the photo out big time. In our example, I dragged it to 24
•Contrast = 100
•Clarity = 100
•Vibrance = 100
•Saturation = -81 (basically what I do here is drag the saturation all the way to the left, to -100 (which removes all color, making it a black and white image), and then I slowly drag back to the right until some of the color starts to return to the image.
If after making these settings, the image looks way too bright, you may have to decrease the Exposure just a little bit, by dragging the Exposure slider to the left. If it’s too dark; increase the Exposure (so basically, those are starting points).

The thing I learned, that “aha” moment from looking at Dave Hill’s images is that the skin on everybody (including the men) is silky smooth. In fact, it’s the level of skin smoothing we’d normally apply to photos of women, but most of the images on Dave’s site are men.

apply a 20 pixel Gaussian Blur to the entire image, then lower the Opacity of this layer to 50%. Then I add a Layer Mask to this layer (click the Layer Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers palette); get the Brush tool, choose a soft-edged brush, and then paint over his skin, while avoiding his eyes, eyebrows, lips, teeth, nostrils, hair—-these are details areas you want to keep crisp.

This is not mine, it's from the NAPP web site and works very well with no High Pass Sharpening.

Jimi
Camoon, that will generate a totally ruined photo. Try that with human model at full resolution and you´ll see. I am now certain that some "photographers" are totally blind.

If you are trying to emulate DH-style, do it always at full resolution and any flaws will be visible.

Last edited by Mtmm; 06-13-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 05:23 PM

WOW! Mtmm 10 minutes after I post the hint you're here to shoot it down.

I'm now certain that some "Photographers" are nothing more than arrogant "know-it-alls" and I'm also reminded why I rarely participate in forums, there's always a self appointed expert spouting off and shooting everyone down....

I'm certain your level of knowledge is much higher than the collective group of people here and at NAPP. Surely you know more about this subject than anyone, so why not show us how it's done Sensei...

No need to reply, I won't bother you with any more of my Blind hints, but feel free to KMA.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 06:42 PM

If take a look at page 43 and page 45 showed what he can do but not a hint of how it was done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi62 View Post
WOW! Mtmm 10 minutes after I post the hint you're here to shoot it down.

I'm now certain that some "Photographers" are nothing more than arrogant "know-it-alls" and I'm also reminded why I rarely participate in forums, there's always a self appointed expert spouting off and shooting everyone down....

I'm certain your level of knowledge is much higher than the collective group of people here and at NAPP. Surely you know more about this subject than anyone, so why not show us how it's done Sensei...

No need to reply, I won't bother you with any more of my Blind hints, but feel free to KMA.
Well cry me a river. You can shoot out that technigue by yourself just trying it. Just try it. And if NAPP:s guality is reflected in your post, I would never ever pay that membership. Even a monkey can see the difference between that "everything to the max" and Dave Hill.

And if that softing method is also from NAPP, I will LMAO.

Last edited by Mtmm; 06-13-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 07:28 PM

Mtmm i like the result that you have posted. Thank you. do you have any advise for us newbies
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching