RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Longside..
Mtmm is what you call a leecher in many forums..
Just comes in and ask ask ask takes all the information and then Bluntly says he won't offer any help on how he get;s the effect.
The lighting as we all know is basic , helping in the final process, and can be seen all over the web and even on Daves own website.. No trickier there. why do you think dave shows his lighting set up.. Duh, b/c it is rather basic on a professional level lighting.

The people ringing in light Mtmm saying it is just lighting and D&B are basically Full of it.
we all know that...:+}

Sounds harsh but it is reality, if this was my forum I would even allow people like Mtmm in here...

The funny thing is, There are many, that I think Mtmm is from like some where in BFE country that why would he even care to share some of his info, after all he is copying some technique that many do , and many can have done if they need for a client from any "well" rounded retoucher.
Plus the look is really old already unless your going to shoot some gangster rap wannabe or Pokeman punk band in the VERY near future...:+}

Just my honest feeling on the post...:+}
Every day, do not know if it is old age or not..:+}, I am getting more on the thinking too help people as much as possible and that is the most important thing in life, I think it goes in every aspect of life. I feel better these days helping out people rather than be paranoid about people copying you...
It has all been done and can be done, there is no one trick pony that no-body cannot copy.

By the way when I used to get that , I call it more like the Jill greenberg, jim ficus, etc.. look, it is all pretty similar...:+}
too get that sheen and saturated look to the clothing I would go into Nik Color eFX plug in and do a Midnight Blue or Sepia action on them and then erase where I did not want the effect re: skin and some hight lights in the clothing etc..
The sponge the colors to liking...
That give everything that Sheen shine look as the filter has like a blurring option which can also be exaggerated with Highpass glowing tech.

Hope Mtmm comes up with that leecher Tutorial real soon...:+}
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Mtmm,

From your last post are we to assume that their is in fact more to your post processing then simply Dodge & Burn, as you implied earlier in this thread?
Of- course there is...
That is what makes me angry about people like him...:+}
He/They think we/you all are "Stupid"...:+}
Just like all the "It's the Lighting" crowd...
Sure the lighting helps with Dave's look of Burned out rim lighting on the side and Ring for fill to give more depth to the image..
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 PM

What about "Kevlar Vest Girl" tutorial did anyone try it out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 05:40 PM

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?th...=4#post6516764
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Yep..I hate posters like Mtmm...who show something interesting to basically say "look how good I am", but then never show s#%*! as to process!

Snook...in one of your earlier threads you said you figured how to get certain looks like Ficus etc...when I asked for you to post the process you've figured out...you never responded...where basically are you in the quest and what can you share?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM

SkyDog sorry never saw it.. I pop in and out and really too busy to go through all my Post..:+]
What you need?
Just let me know or direct me to that post and I can help as much as possible..:+}

I sometimes have a shooting binge of 2-3 weeks straight and too tired to look through here..
The look is not that hard it is knowing when to stop or Pull the opacity 's to your liking etc...
Bust basic Desaturating slightly the image to your liking and the Dodging and Burning.. The I used to do Lucis in Small increments and then put those on a Luminosity Blend mode as not to get the Skin shadows to Orangy, If you have used lucis you know what I mean, Then back off the Opacity and then running (smoothing) de-noising if some sorts and then doing Contrast Sharpening Mask to liking.. You kind of build it up until you feel it is right.
Now I always did these on Pictures that I have Shot that were actually in a Cool environment or background.. I never had to do Compositing..
In order to get the Look right Dave does tons Of compositing...
Anyways what I posted before was that dave ha the Sheen/ Over saturated Colors unlike other guys muted colors..
I got close to that with after doing all the above I would use the Nik Color FX filter Midnight sepia or Blue depending on if you want the Color Cold or Warm.
Then would mask that off most of the skin until it look right.
You can see quite Clearly all the D&B strokes in Daves work and how he has Exaggerated the Highlight on the clothing etc...
Have you ever Dodged and Burned on Jeans and then Saturated them... they look the same as DH.

Recently I have been playing with S&H instead of Lucis and getting a similar effect..
Also there is a great filter called Mr. Contrast that is really quite cool also if you do not know about it.
In any case just thought I would add some stuff here as Sky Dogs got left out maybe on some of my post...:+}
I rarely use this technique cuz it is pretty old already and the "Look" Nowadays is going towards Clean UN TOUCHED Tendency...
SOme times do the "Dragan" style where you take the Blue channel and send it to Multiply or Overlay etc... also adds to the look if you need..
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 06:00 AM

Snook...thanks....

this is what you said earlier:
"MrKronk I agree with many of your statements..:+}
No one has to do anything...
I also have the D&H look as much as I want.
I actually have not done it to any pictures in over a year now..
I always had problems with the skin with lucis.. that is when I learned the Luminosity layer, which helps a lot but still not the best for people.
I was really standing up for many hear and quite sick of the "Hey Look I can do it too" And I am not going to tell you...:}
Those type of people are NOT what these forums are about...:+}
Otherwise go put your stuff up on flicker and not here...:+}
You all know what I mean. you weren't born yesterday I imagine...
Snook"

I was just wondering what you have figured out in your quest thus far with regards to Fiscus type look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 07:02 AM

Snook35 can you show one of your images using the above workflow when you have time.
Skydog can you show your DH look on one of your images with workflow if possible.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 08:07 AM

Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pest but I would really appreciate some feedback on this shot below:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/...01489b4f_b.jpg

Incidentally, the model is my pops!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 AM

That's my problem...I don't have a DH look, but wish I could create one.

Longside...like the car...like the background...don't like the skin.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching