RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

hey longside1 your photo looks good. this is my feed back.
if we go to dave hill I think it is not only lighting that lot's of people here are talking about.
when you look his photos you can see that buildings and other background issues are also manipulated. with extra lights your can not affect buildings which are hundred meters away from main subject. so my opinnion is that he uses a lot of picture manipulation. maybe he use lights for main subject but background etc. has been manipulated.
this is my amateur opinnion.
please study kid rock's career, he rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pest but I would really appreciate some feedback on this shot below:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/...01489b4f_b.jpg

Incidentally, the model is my pops!
Though not necessarily a compliment, I could believe it was taken by Dave Hill. What did your Pops & family think about it.
BTW.. When I said "not necessarily a compliment" It is very good, It's just that I personally believe in inspiration over imitation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2008, 06:11 PM

*bookmark*

wow...still running*g*

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 AM

Just if anyone is interested, the shot of my Dad is a composite, with him and the car being superimposed on a different background.

I'm really pleased with the result and it's glad to know that all the cash I've pumped into off camera flash is starting to pay dividends because as we all know, the DH look cannot be achieved without flash!

@JD SPears....thanks for the "compliment" I totally agree with you, inspiration is better over imitation. Dave Hill has inspired me to get off my arse, start studying flash photography...invest in my camera gear...begin to study Photoshop like never before.....

In an ideal world I'd have the creative ability to come up with my own style, buts sadly I don't have the ability to do this YET. As is I study more and more the styles of different photographers, as I'm doing now in this thread, I'm sure my own technique will evolve.

Another point to remember, is that if your commercially involved in photography, what would you do if a potential client approached you and said, "I love the style of this photographer called Dave Hill....I want my shoot like that". Would you respond with, "Nope sorry pal, I'm afraid I don't imitate the work of others!?" I don't think so!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 AM

Longside...what equipment are your using?..What lights...what camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Just if anyone is interested, the shot of my Dad is a composite, with him and the car being superimposed on a different background.

I'm really pleased with the result and it's glad to know that all the cash I've pumped into off camera flash is starting to pay dividends because as we all know, the DH look cannot be achieved without flash!

@JD SPears....thanks for the "compliment" I totally agree with you, inspiration is better over imitation. Dave Hill has inspired me to get off my arse, start studying flash photography...invest in my camera gear...begin to study Photoshop like never before.....

In an ideal world I'd have the creative ability to come up with my own style, buts sadly I don't have the ability to do this YET. As is I study more and more the styles of different photographers, as I'm doing now in this thread, I'm sure my own technique will evolve.

Another point to remember, is that if your commercially involved in photography, what would you do if a potential client approached you and said, "I love the style of this photographer called Dave Hill....I want my shoot like that". Would you respond with, "Nope sorry pal, I'm afraid I don't imitate the work of others!?" I don't think so!!
Good point! And no, I wouldn't say that. I would say "Show me the money!". But thats only because I'm in a very unique situation that I need more money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Dave Hill has inspired me to get off my arse, start studying flash photography...invest in my camera gear...begin to study Photoshop like never before.....
Word!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 03:42 PM

>>>>>>> .begin to study Photoshop like never before.....

That's what all people are doing who study other artists.

If you play guitar, you listen to guitar players and try to see if you can play like them. Everybody does it - learning Beatles songs, Jimi Hendrix solos. Then, if you want to take your act on the road, you develop your own style. You might incorporate some those styles into your own. Ever hear someone say, "That band sounds like the early Rolling Stones"?

Nothing wrong with trying to imitate the best when you are learning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated ;-)

@Skydog...I'm using a Nikon D300 with a stack of lenses. Flash wise, I currently have six Vivitar 285HV flash for wrap around light, however two of these have been bought for the purpose of making my own ringflash.

I know my lights don't pack as much of a punch as those used by DH but they are more portable and affordable, which is to my liking. Get those Vivitar's cranked up and I have no problems overpowering sunlight, which makes for some really surreal stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 08:36 PM

Longside1...will to share your work flow or are you just another Mtmm?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching