RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

longside1 ...surely you haven't forgotten...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 01:02 AM

SNook... not that kind of big deal. I'm still thinking, that one should be creative and get to his/her own style by trying and trying and trying. But one thing is for shure... one have to know the basics that leads to something . I remember, when i was learning all this stuff and how i was excited ... also i know, that even now, i know little about PS, and still i have the times, when im freazing in front of monitor saying... "wow... i didn't know that" .

Heres some more tips for those, who didnt read earlier
- after preparing the image this way, u can proceed to LightRoom and try to set recovery, fill light, contrast, vibrance, clarity to 100%, then reduce saturation and set blacks to taste. But wait... its just copying... so from this moment start to going in other directions (reduce impact of this settings), and try to find the point, where image looks just ok .
- another good way to do something in image is to create luminescence mask (ctrl+alt+shift+(1,2,3) in Ps3, or ctrl click on channel in earlier) from one of channels (for example from most contrasty one), then make a level or curves adjustements layer and aply mask to it. But its just the begginning. Select only mask (alt click on mask in layers), than do on it levels or curves to mask what u like (for example highlights). Now play with adjustments layer, that now works on specific "luminescencity" of image. Also U can invert mask to get to other point of luminescencity.

I think, that last one is not for begginers, becouse they proppably will not know how to do those steps, but... try .

Ps... Question for megginers and middle experts... have You know, that You can create a drop shadow effect on an object, and then separate it from its "mother" object, and then for example free transform it to get better result (for example create a good shadow on floor)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
longside1 ...surely you haven't forgotten...
Nope, I haven't! Basically, with regards the pimp my dad shot, it was broken down into two separate shots, one dealing with the background and one with the foreground (my dad).

The foreground shot was lit using wrap around flash see shot below:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/...93db51b173.jpg

This shot was then edited to my liking using lightroom, nothing spectacular, just got the exposure looking how I wanted and then exported in CS3.

In CS3, the only things that I did to the shot was contrast boost using curves, skin softening, highpass layer and then some USM, gradually building the effect up on various layers at different opacities, before finishing the image with D @ B.

The foreground image was then removed and placed on the background shot which is of a ten pin bowling alley near where I live. The background shot was achieved by taking my camera out of the bag, switching it on, removing the lens cap, putting the camera to my eye, adjusting the focus, and the pressing the shutter release ;-). I do intend to write a tutorial on this.

Unfortunately. I don't still have the PSD for this shot, but here is a screen dump of the layers used in another shot I have just finished. Apologies for the low quality of the Jpeg used, but the purpose of the shot is just to demonstrate how many layers, and how much time was required to get the shot looking as it is now.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/...8d8fb678_m.jpg

Here is the finished shot for which the above screen dump relates:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/...350e2e16_b.jpg

Incidentally, I've had no training in PS, and am by no means an expert. I achieved my look through a lot of hard work and trial and error, with days spent in front of the monitor figuring everything out, and to be quite honest I've loved every minute.

I personally believe that this thread has got quite nasty in nature with regards what people should provide in terms of guidance, workflows etc. There is absolutely stacks of info in this thread to get you going in the direction so why don't people just start putting stylus to tablet or mouse to matt and start finishing this story for themselves?

I hope I'm off the hook now...

Last edited by longside1; 07-11-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 AM

longside1...thanks for the info

How do I make a mask for the R, G or B channel? I've never done so.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 04:33 AM

Change to Channels palete, where You can see 4 channels: RGB composite, R G and B. click one of R,G,B channel to make it active (only this one should be visible). You will see bw version of that color intensity. Now control click this layer. You should see so called "marching ants". Now go for example to layers, with still "marching ants" on screen click create adjustements layer, and this is how u get adjustements layer with luminescence mask .

You can also create normal layer and fill it with black (still with "marching ants") (and then change blending mode to soft-light or overlay, or any other).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2008, 04:50 AM

Heres some more tips .

Check this site:
http://goodlight.us/writing/luminosi...tymasks-1.html
there Tou can learn something about advanced creating of luminescence masks, adjusting them to get what You want and other things.

I have also found some interesting thing in interview with Bill Simone, that can be found on LightSource Studio Photography Podcast:
http://www.studiolighting.net/e067-s...raphy-podcast/

Go, check it out, then try, try, try...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 AM

Cyberek

Many thanks for sharing these tutorials, they are extremely informative. I agree...try try and try again.

For everyones benefit, here is another shot that I have just finished working on. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/...af1016da_b.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2008, 05:20 AM

longside1

i must say, that i like your's work. Its quite subtel, and still works as a picture (for me some of DH photos are far more than photos... like in to painting or something).
As i can see, You have used two light setup (correct me if i'm wrong), that gives just enought light to get good result .

Nice work .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Cool Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

I've been reading this thread all through.. I think I'm gettin crazy...

Gotta sleep... Zzz...

Here is my try on mmtm's pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raw_2.jpg (90.1 KB, 210 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM

Mr. Contrast!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching