RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Thanks..
Will stop bothering you...
95% of the people will have no idea what you wrote anyways..
But atleast you said something..:+}

Snook
Gee Snook! You have a very low opinion of your fellow RetouchPRO compatriots! Maybe the others are just not as intense as you are. Some are playing, some do just enough to make a buck! But the interest is there, nonetheless!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
d/b
local contrast
local multiply blending
highpass/gaussian smoothing in linear light blending (very effective and clean with right numbers)
duotone blending
local clarity and exposure (raw)
black channel sharpening
color correction by numbers (CMYK)
Thanks Mtmm, I know you said you will not give out any "details" so consider this a statement in response.

D/B - Pretty self-explanatory.

Local Contrast - Seems like another way of doing Luminosity Masks.

Local Multiply Blending - Not for sure exactly what you mean by this... perhaps duplicating a merged copy of the project, changing the layer mode to Multiply? I guess you would do this to give a little bit of depth.

Highpass/Gaussian Smoothing in Linear Light Blending - I'm assuming this was taken from Christy Schuler's skin retouching? See: http://www.christyschuler.com/retouching.html

Duotone Blending - I have no idea what this is? I assume for color correcting?

Local Clarity and Exposure (raw) - Interesting... copy a merged and open it in Camera Raw, boost up some clarity and adjust exposure to taste; paste that in your document, mask it, and then brush in to taste?

Black Channel Sharpening - I know I've read how to do this somewhere... anyone have a link on hand?

Color Correction by Numbers (CMYK) - By "numbers"... what does that mean? Curves? Selective color?

Thanks again Mtmm for sharing the work flow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 AM

mtmmm you go too far sometimes... it's just my opinion
there's few works of u that i really dig, and few others ones sounds too much, too much, i go as far as i can blabla... and finally that doenst look that good.

also about your explications, yeah, okay, maybe i cannot understand everything, first of all i don't speak english as first language, neither do u and i my guess it's the same thing for a lot of users.... but pls, people, don't say:
"whatever they don't get it anyway". my view of this website is learn a lot from others ppl? some don't wanna drop their "tips" , or, at least, all the details in it and i totally understand, but the headlines could be great & small description.

ez,
gui
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 AM

Something.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rystro View Post
Thanks Mtmm, I know you said you will not give out any "details" so consider this a statement in response.

- Yep, maskin contrast where you want it to be

Local Multiply Blending - Not for sure exactly what you mean by this... perhaps duplicating a merged copy of the project, changing the layer mode to Multiply? I guess you would do this to give a little bit of depth.

- You can multiply your current layer and then mask it where you want it to be

- Just another way to ad contrast

Local Clarity and Exposure (raw) - Interesting... copy a merged and open it in Camera Raw, boost up some clarity and adjust exposure to taste; paste that in your document, mask it, and then brush in to taste?

- Lightroom 2 rules, it has a new feature where you can mask clarity

Color Correction by Numbers (CMYK) - By "numbers"... what does that mean? Curves? Selective color?

- Curves, keeping yellow over magenta for print
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreesOfMyTime View Post
Gee Snook! You have a very low opinion of your fellow RetouchPRO compatriots! Maybe the others are just not as intense as you are. Some are playing, some do just enough to make a buck! But the interest is there, nonetheless!
Sorry I of course did not mean to offend anybody.. really..
Just the terms that Mtmm used many might not even know what he meant or how to manipulate them.. me being one of them...:+]
Duo tone blending for example....?
Sorry it sounded that way...:+}
Snook
Some one will ring in here with some explanations for sure..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rystro View Post

D/B - Pretty self-explanatory.

Highpass/Gaussian Smoothing in Linear Light Blending - I'm assuming this was taken from Christy Schuler's skin retouching? See: http://www.christyschuler.com/retouching.html

Black Channel Sharpening - I know I've read how to do this somewhere... anyone have a link on hand?

Thanks again Mtmm for sharing the work flow.
By the numbers means when you put down a eye dropper point on the (non-Blown) highlight on the skin then in the info palette change it to CMYK and the numbers should line up:
Cyan
M= 3-5 times Cyan
Y= just a little more than M
good number might be:
for example.. that is telling you the skin tones are ok and not to green or yello or red...:+]
It is a basic color or skin tone correction method I use on my starting image and then at the final stage to make sure it has not shifting too much during manipulation...:+]
Has nothing to do with the DH FX in any case...
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Mtmm you mentioned in a couple post that you are using a Bleach bypass on your images...
In fact you posted and image that you stated that you only put a Bleach bypass
Are you using the one in Nik color efex pro 3 or Lightroom preset Bleach Bypass?
I think the image you posted with just that effect looks pretty darn good and could be the little "trick" that is missing?
Then on that setting the Amy drexler trick up select color range whites and fill a blank layer with some gausian blur.

The High Pass Gausian on linear light is for contrast also or to smooth out the skin from the harsh contrast bleach?
Thanks
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Sorry I of course did not mean to offend anybody.. really..
Just the terms that Mtmm used many might not even know what he meant or how to manipulate them.. me being one of them...:+]
Duo tone blending for example....?
Sorry it sounded that way...:+}
Snook
Some one will ring in here with some explanations for sure..
No offense taken! I spoke "tongue in cheek", so to speak. I really do think that you will never see anything but a laundry list of tools and techniques which are used. Each image has differing goals and needs to make the adjustment agree with the artists vision. And in some cases, the artist may develop not only his/her process along the way, but the end game itself as they work.

Its a little like Grandma's apple pie. She gives you the recipe, and when it does not turn out like hers, she says something like "OH, I might have used more butter", etc and so on each time you try it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 01:20 PM

edit: outta here, thanks to Snook.

Last edited by Mtmm; 07-26-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmm View Post
As you see, you are generating terrible halos, look at the shoulders.

Here is retouched with only d/b and some bleach bypass.

http://www.bodynet.fi/kuvat/raw2.jpg
Mtmm you forget alot of what you say...:+]
you also blamed another member for not helping out that you forgot about also.. again I quoted you..
here you say again you did not say you used bleach bypass...
What is it?
Some else writing for you?
Snook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching