RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of dave hill! let's all help!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:22 PM

Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Quote:
In fact you posted and image that you stated that you only put a Bleach bypass
Not only, but I´m outta here. No mather what I post, Snook is running his mouth.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 07-26-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: inappropriate wording for family forum
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 PM

Dude you defintely have some problems..

You come in here asking for all kinds of help..Even stating to others that they are holding out, then when called on your own post you do the same..
then I am trying to get what you say clear. I simply state what you have already stated. you even posted and image showing it. On this image I used only D&B and bleach hypass.
Then I ask you what bleach bypass you are using and you say you never said that.
So I quote you and you seem to have forgotten or do not want anybody to know that is what you are doing.
Who is the wise guy here...??

By the way your select range with white is the Amy dressler trick that she so un selfishly told everyone.
She even posted a psd with an actual image showing it on her layers.
People that are secure in what they are doing and are un selfish are the ones that help out and are not worried about peope copying them.
Like I said, no one is going to say... Wow that is the Mtmm look..
Dude when you grow up and want to play with the Big boys come on back,
but if you come in here only ranting to others then doing the same thing is not cool.
If you look at you history state here , you only have come in to pick out this thread.. So your leaving is going to be your loss...
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Here is my take on things...

First, a bit about myself. Im 21 and i live in the UK. Started stills photography about 2 months ago. My current day job is a cinematographer, editor and compositor. Part of my job includes filming shoots for magazines such as FHM and Maxim. Naturally whenever i watch a film, i am always finding myself thinking about the way shots are lit. This also happens when i am walking down the street, it seems i am always thinking about lighting. This tendency led me to look at the way the stills shots for the magazines were being lit. I found it very interesting and i wanted to have a go. When i decided this i started looking at lots of different pictures on the net, the different styles of lighting and retouching. As i was surfing i came across lots of different names, Dave Hill being one of them. I decided to have a go at trying to make a 'Dave Hill Style' photo and this is my result

http://whoissam.co.uk/pool_low.jpg

What i have learned in the past 2 months about the Dave Hill Look:
- 90% is achieved with the lighting. You have to shoot for the look.
- There is no magic 'Dave Hill Button'. The more time you spend on your image, the better it will be
- Dodging and Burning
- Alot of people dont realise that Dave Hill is giving lots away about the way he gets his image. The behind the scenes videos are great because they show the way he lights.

The image that i have done is far from perfect, i would say that i am about 40% happy with it. I spent about 40 minutes lighting it, and just under an hour in photoshop. There is still lots for me to learn and at the end of the day, i feel the quality of your images will increase the more you practice
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_bond View Post
Here is my take on things...

First, a bit about myself. Im 21 and i live in the UK. Started stills photography about 2 months ago. My current day job is a cinematographer, editor and compositor. Part of my job includes filming shoots for magazines such as FHM and Maxim. Naturally whenever i watch a film, i am always finding myself thinking about the way shots are lit. This also happens when i am walking down the street, it seems i am always thinking about lighting. This tendency led me to look at the way the stills shots for the magazines were being lit. I found it very interesting and i wanted to have a go. When i decided this i started looking at lots of different pictures on the net, the different styles of lighting and retouching. As i was surfing i came across lots of different names, Dave Hill being one of them. I decided to have a go at trying to make a 'Dave Hill Style' photo and this is my result

http://whoissam.co.uk/pool_low.jpg

What i have learned in the past 2 months about the Dave Hill Look:
- 90% is achieved with the lighting. You have to shoot for the look.
- There is no magic 'Dave Hill Button'. The more time you spend on your image, the better it will be
- Dodging and Burning
- Alot of people dont realise that Dave Hill is giving lots away about the way he gets his image. The behind the scenes videos are great because they show the way he lights.

The image that i have done is far from perfect, i would say that i am about 40% happy with it. I spent about 40 minutes lighting it, and just under an hour in photoshop. There is still lots for me to learn and at the end of the day, i feel the quality of your images will increase the more you practice
Hey Sam!

Thanks for your up front post and your comments. We need more forthright comments like yours!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 AM

Here is a before and after for those of you who are interested

http://www.whoissam.co.uk/before_after.jpg

Thought i would also talk a bit more about the lighting as i realise in my original post that i didnt say anything. I used 2 Bowen QuadX flash heads shooting into 46" umbrellas to the left and right of me, as close to the wall as possible and a Bowen ringflash to the left and slightly above the camera, all powered from a QuadX 3000 Generator. The umbrellas were about 1.5-2 stops above the ringflash if i remember correctly. Camera was Nikon D300 shooting Raw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 AM

Sorry Mtmm...I agree with snook..you are just a tease. You basically post to say "look at me" show everyone what you are capable of doing, but when asked specific questions you dance around the question or don't respond at all.

Sam...I'm quite impressed..especially at 21! I agree with your approach...closely watching others that are good with their craft and you have a great opportunity. I too agree that lighting is the key. I'm sure photoshop is part of the workflow, but you've got to have a good shot to begin with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 10:49 AM

I understand what you guys are griping about, but Mtmm did list what he says is his workflow... I have been the only one that tried to critique the workflow while you others have spent time not looking at his workflow but running your mouths - sorry for being so blunt.

Again, I understand the frustration, what Mtmm gave wasn't very descriptive and even elusive but what you are doing here isn't helping the greater good... and that is demystifying the Dave Hill look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 11:25 AM

you've got to be kidding...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Unhappy Re: The demystification of dave hill! let's all he

Sorry folks, what is this thread about???
This "magic effect" can be done within 15 minutes...

http://www.jeffsimage.com/temp/gb.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Jeff.. cannot beleive it..
after over 100,000 views to this thread you finally did it..
and it was so easy...
Thanks
Snook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching