RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Videosean's d&b tutorial help

Old 07-01-2007, 05:33 AM

Videosean's d&b tutorial help

Guys,

I want to learn how to d&b and have been going through Videoseans tutorial (http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=272)

Is this what most people use to remove blemishes? I've been trying to touch up her cheek, i.e. get her skin to looking better and smoother but can't seem to grasp the hang of it... I've followed the tutorial and used smaller/bigger brushes / different flows etc but its not really working for me at the moment!

Can anyone point me in the right direction...

I won't post any attempts as it looks really awful ;-)

Thanks

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Re: Videosean's d&b tutorial help

Quote:
Originally Posted by c19h28O2 View Post
Guys,

I want to learn how to d&b and have been going through Videoseans tutorial (http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=272)

Is this what most people use to remove blemishes? I've been trying to touch up her cheek, i.e. get her skin to looking better and smoother but can't seem to grasp the hang of it... I've followed the tutorial and used smaller/bigger brushes / different flows etc but its not really working for me at the moment!

Can anyone point me in the right direction...

I won't post any attempts as it looks really awful ;-)

Thanks

Michael
Michael -- I don't know how long you've been working on learning retouching, but don't be surprised or discouraged by the difficulty of getting "the hang of it" when it comes to the dodge & burn method of working on skin blemishes. I noticed that you also posted in one of the "d&b" threads so you know you are not alone. I'm not in the business and have only tried it to see how the technique worked - it takes a lot of time and effort and some experience in knowing where and how much to use it. There are a few pros here that use the technique in their work on a daily/weekly basis and some might have time to critique a sample of your work -- but you must be willing to be critiqued. It's easier to be critiqued when you are first learning a technique - no one really expects you to be excellent when you are first learning, so now would be a good time to try it. Pick a high quality image -- close up of a person whose skin needs some balancing out, and work on it until you either feel comfortable with what you've done or just feel "lost" -- then grit your teeth and upload the original and your work in progress and ask for critique. The Critique forum would be a good place to get some attention. No one can really help you get better without seeing what you are currently doing. There are a few pros here who will be very blunt about any parts of your work that are not done well, while most folks will try to be kind and helpful. If you really want to learn, you can learn from both, but you must be ready to not take it personally -- think of it as the work that is being critiqued, not YOU as a person or even as a retoucher. You might be very good already at other techniques, but not be good at d&b on skin. But you have to submit an example...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM

CJ

I undersand that completely, and your absolutely right. In respect of my question i've pretty much answered that myself and from my understanding it looks like d&b is the best / most used technique to smoothing skin and removing blemishes.

I purchased Katrin Esmann's book so i've been going through that at the moment. I will eventually post something because I still have a few things i'm unsure about.

But for now the plan is to just practice practice practice.

Cheers CJ

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c19h28O2 View Post

But for now the plan is to just practice practice practice.

Cheers CJ

Michael
YES PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

Gerry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching