RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Master Retoucher

Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Re: Master Retoucher

I am often told... Your work is too good for us. We will not pay that much, are are not really bothered about quality!

Thats why, I will probably do a max of two more years as a retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 AM

OH... And its 6pm here in London...... Just got a job in.

26 scans, full retouch on each one. All to be proofed for monday! There goes the weekend!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 PM

This is a very informative thread, thanks for everyones participation. I am however disappointed to see that very few of the Pro's, other then posting answers in threads, actually post images or work on challenges here. How come?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 PM

hi skydog,
I was real hesitant about getting into this thread because I am not professional just a greenhorn novice... smile....

however.. these are my 2 cents worth....
First there are schools and colleges that offer classes and a full curriculum.

if someone was just starting out and trying to find what to do to prepare themselves....

the curriculum would consist of
a. a couple of good art classes... this bring in a understanding of colors, perspective, light, etc...
b. defintiely a couple of photography classes is important... defintiely you learn the skills of setting up a short, taking in considertations,, lighting conditions, filters, perspectives.

c. of course you would have a couple of classes specifically for your program ie: if were talking about phtoshop... you would have a basic class to understand all the functions of the program and what they do and a itermediate class in applying all the basic techniques of using the tools... and then your more advance classes in various popular technique

d. and definitely a course in digital art ....

that is what I have seen and envision curriculum to be..... but the story does not end there..... the experience and practice needs to be continued.... no matter what.... practice is always important to maintain your skills...!!

additional info can be obtained from the various books, or tutorials (text or video) that are avail...... or places like retouchpro.... and in a way this site is very unique because of the large number of professional and very talented hobbyiests........

in addition, one would participate in workshops and/or sig pc groups....

Workshops .. on the net I have seen several workshops that are offered, that covers digital art, digital photograpy, photoshop... smile.... and these are place to find out what new out there, what needed, to improve techniques... or learn new techniques

sig pc groups... what they are pc clubs that specializes in various aspects of pc's.. in this case in some cities you would find a sig group that specializes in digital graphics/art or a program... a good place to learn the latest techniques, sharing, and yo can do networking since a lot of these members are professionals...!!

also with large outfits, if one works for them they'll have a in house training program or things are setup for outside traing...

well any way.. those are my thoughts.... for what there worth.... whole lot more can be said but... smiling... and the professionals here can maybe elaborate more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
I've been thinking about this subject a lot this morning (dangerous).

Veed (correct me if I am wrong). For you and other retouchers working for agencies, I would think that you signed a secrecy agreement upon being hired. All knowledge, training, discovery and creativity that you obtained or learned within the agency is propriatery. To be competitive you need to provide the "look" that will sell and you need to do it fast. So work flow is also important and propriatery. I am sure you and others don't want your services outsourced.

If this is true, let me rephrase what I am seeking. Where does one go to learn to be the best qualified person for the junior retouching job? Let's be specific. I'm not looking for the practice or work your way up answer.

If you were developing a training program, what would it include? What demonstrated skills would you be seeking? If the person had a gap in this skill where would you tell them to go to learn it? What tools would be necessary or helpful (computer, photoshop, wacom, etc...)? If I was the Dean of a FineArts college offering Retouching as a curriculum, I would surely find out from the experts of the field what training would need to be provided.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
This is a very informative thread, thanks for everyones participation. I am however disappointed to see that very few of the Pro's, other then posting answers in threads, actually post images or work on challenges here. How come?
Easy: we don't own the rights. We could get sued or fired. I can't speak for the others, but I generally don't retouch much outside of work, since I'm always doing it at work already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed View Post
Easy: we don't own the rights. We could get sued or fired. I can't speak for the others, but I generally don't retouch much outside of work, since I'm always doing it at work already.
True, we could get in major trouble for posting photos done at work. I do have clients I retouch for on a continual freelance basis outside of the studio, but the same rules still apply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
By no means, I was not talking about posting images you do at work. I did notice you had participated in a challenge and I liked to image very much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Maybe the August contest of the month could be a beauty retouch image. I'm sure most of us would participate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Maybe the August contest of the month could be a beauty retouch image. I'm sure most of us would participate.
Yeah, i'd do that...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY.

Furthermore, if I get one more pm asking to view work I've done I'm going to scream. If you want to see the work that I do, look at ads for big name makeup and hair product companies, look in fashion and lifestyle mags. Look at ads done by Publicis, TBWA Chiat Day, Gotham, Kirshenbaum, McCann Erickson, Grey, Grey Worldwide...... I was going to list photographers, but nevermind.

In addition, and I think supremely important if you aren't taking the "work your way up route", is an education in all things photographic. You need to know input, output, photographic lighting, prepress, digital file processing, etc. It's not just photographs and Photoshop. A strong background in color theory and an art background/appreciation and understanding is also very important. There is also the ocd, incredible attention to detail aspect. If you aren't willing to put in the time, be meticulous and have a notion of how things are supposed to look, then you may well be sunk from the get go.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching