RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Master Retoucher

Old 07-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Re: Master Retoucher

One more thing.

If you live in bumphack Egypt, there is no market for you. Try as you might, you won't be needed nor appreciated if the industry isn't where you live.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
EXACTLY.

Furthermore, if I get one more pm asking to view work I've done I'm going to scream.
Sorry I have ruffled you feathers! Matter of fact I'm not really interested in looking at your retouching, I was just commenting on a fact. And no I do not live in bumphack Egypt! That comment sounded a bit arrogant and out of place, for a great professional like you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Sorry I have ruffled you feathers! Matter of fact I'm not really interested in looking at your retouching, I was just commenting on a fact. And no I do not live in bumphack Egypt! That comment sounded a bit arrogant and out of place, for a great professional like you!
you think too highly of yourself. I wasn't directing my comment at you.

That comment sounded a bit arrogant and out of place, for a great professional like you!

(Comment removed, remember this is a family forum) Gary

the incessant rudeness/politeness police of this place really annoy me.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 07-16-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 03:54 PM

starting out i knew photoshop inside out, but didn't know a lick about photography. i was an illustrator first off (pen/ink/watercolor) and i was told when i was hired that drawing/draftsmanship skills were more important than photoshop/photography savvy when my employer was recruiting. oh, and that makeup artists always make the BEST retouchers

first hired as a paid intern, made coffee, did dishes, cleaned desks, answered phones, watched the real retouchers work, and CUT PATHs

i was cutting paths for 6 MONTHS before i was asked to do anything else. by then i was bezie-curve (spelling?) and masking yoda. started retouching crappy editorials, getting yelled at all the time for screwing up, eventually getting yelled at less, started working on the advertising jobs, got a raise

i can't imagine classes would teach you anything useful, edge your way into a studio by working for next to nothing. the only way to learn this stuff is to do it, all the time, everyday, overandoverandoverandoverandover....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post

the incessant rudeness/politeness police of this place really annoy me.
Me too.

There are no classes out there. Well, maybe one or two, if you're lucky enough to get, say, an accomplished NYC retoucher who's bored and wants to blab about his job one night a week at SVA. But, if he/she hasn't professionally retouched in a year, they've probably lost their edge. Actually, it's kinda stunning how little education is out there. I worked for a large company that hired, probably, 2-300 retouchers nationwide, and refused to help pay for any kind of training. Just come on in, sit at this Mac, and pump it out. You're on your own, kid. They probably could have established a little training department of their own, just by putting all those retouchers in a room, and having them ask each other "Say, got a good tip for me today? I'll trade ya". But, nope, they expected expertise to fall from the sky like rain.

So, it's simple. Turn off the tube, say goodbye to your friends, and sit and learn photoshop for the next year using Adobe training books. Then buy Real World Photoshop CS3 (when it comes out) and Eismann's books. They are very good. If you're trying to get a "look", you'll soon find that it ain't so hard - don't mystify it, just do it with layers. That's how, say, Fiscus does it, and once he got it down, it's kinda rote. But that's not the stuff that will pay the rent. Learn to make flesh look great naturally, learn to take wrinkles out of clothes naturally, and learn to make cosmetic bottles look fantastic. That is what you'll be doing most of the time.

Move close to NYC, take an entry level job for low pay and long, lousy hours, and concentrate. If you're good, you'll be real good in a while. And paid well. Good retouchers are hard to find.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 07:38 PM

I agree with Benny nearly 100%.
It takes time to develop skills as a retoucher. And when you go form one employer to another, there is not a great chance that those skills will translate well. So you need to be adaptive and willing to learn "different" ways to get the "same" look.
I have just relocated from the NYC retouching market over to The "texas" market. Why? Tired of the infighting and such that was happening there. I got hired by a superb company with very talented co-workers that will push my talents further rather than the stagnating looks that are starting to choke the NYC market. And I know that those words will piss some people off but I have been around WAY to long to have to be treated like a intern retoucher just because I might be new to a company. And not by the employers but by fellow retouchers. There are some people who need to get a grip on their so called talents and welcome someone who might be able to teach them something new. Especially one who is not known for keeping "secrets" to himself.

Just keep practising what you do and you will move up. Don't think you are the epitome of retouching but DO think well of yourself and you WILL get pretty high up in the retouching scene.

Chris

Last edited by cricket1961; 07-15-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:36 PM

what the......Texas??!! Jeez, you surprised me. I guess that blows my NYC argument. Good luck, but how's that summer Dallas heat?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 PM

The retouching at this shop is as hi end as anything in NYC Benny.
And it is HOT!! It doesn't help that I am not a fan of air conditioning either.
Seriously. There are good accounts etc anywhere you go, and if you have a name for yourself you will either have a following of clients or they will pop
up once it is known you are there.
I am not saying that if you are starting out or if you ae a intermediate retoucher that Texas is the place for you. But the company and myself are going to try to change the retouching scene here outside of Dallas, and we are off to a Great start by the way.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 PM

I want a high end shop to open in Jackson, Wyoming, with a branch office in Maui, and a private jet to shuttle me back and forth. Goodbye, NYC.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM

I just want a high-end shop in Bermuda. And maybe with flights to Los Angeles.

Oh and Paris.

k thx.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching