RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Master Retoucher

Old 07-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Janitor

Re: Master Retoucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed View Post
Maybe the August contest of the month could be a beauty retouch image. I'm sure most of us would participate.
I'd love to offer a beauty retouch, but most of the rights-cleared images I have access to are already retouched. If you (or anyone else reading this) own rights to good model-released "before" images, please contact me via PM or the contact link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2007, 06:09 PM

ant: LOL! arrogance is a killer It doesn't hurt to be nice, you know! But I guess some people just have to be that one!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2007, 03:07 PM

I have been reading this thread very carefully.

I am a self taught photographer that started summer 2006. I so want to be apart of this retouching community.

Thank you for all the retouchers that have shared your insights. I will be improving my skills in both photography and at retouching.

--Ron
www.ronaldntan.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
ant: LOL! arrogance is a killer It doesn't hurt to be nice, you know! But I guess some people just have to be that one!

Gerry
^-Spoken just like someone who sells hammers and drills for a living....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 PM

Ant: hehe...I must admit...I find your choice of writing most amusing Would love to hear from you

G
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:32 PM

ANT: BTW, you surprise me with your statement about hammers and drills How? You "googled" it, right?

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 02:33 PM

Ant is lucky the people here are so PC and polite or someone would have thrown him in front of a yellow cab long ago.
Hey, Ant's cool....he works in New York City!....he's high end!......all the top magazines!......he sleeps with supermodels!.....he's the one grown-up in America that thinks Simon is cool!!!!.....he's snarky!......he pfuiiiii
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM

I found this 3d very interesting. I did not undestand some of the last posts, but never mind.... I think their subjects changed from the main one.

There's something that Skydog wrote that impressed me:
Practicing poor technique just give consistently poor results.

That's just what I feel but I did not know how to express it!..... I feel I'm running in a circle and go nowhere.
I'm just an amatour, so I shouldn't bother much, but I HATE not to achieve the results I could expect due to all the efforts and strenght I put on it.

I think there's something missing in what I'm studying.... I do know well that lightning is something I do not know. As for colors I lack this too.... I feel I should have somebody to help me. Tutorials are not enough because most of the time I do not know why for that particular photo I should follow that specific tutorial instead of another one. Sometimes I feel very tired and discouraged. But I DO really want to learn. I looked for an online course but I just could find generic photoshop courses. I want to learn retouch and manipulation, and like Skydog wrote, keeping on trying is not enough (unless you are really a sort of art genius, which I'm surely not).

I can do lots of things but I'm good at none. And this makes me depressed.... I do not want to be outstanding in digital art (I do not have the time, the age and also the strenght to get such a result), but at least good......

Sorry folks, this was just a.... what's the English word?? a yelling out?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 06:28 PM

myf: good tip is to invest more time into your projects! It's like the phrase : "practice makes perfect" ... well practice makes better retouching!

To learn good retouching you need to have a good basic foundation...To achieve a good basic foundation you need to know basic stuff within colour management...right colours and right curves and so on! This can be fond around on good websites, for example www.lynda.com ...They have some very nice tutorials! I got this tip from a pro retoucher, shellbye, she is a member here...

I would recommend to buy books from Eismann! A very good retouching artist that explains advanced retouching in a easy way(IMO)...I had to read many times to really understand how she did things, but she explains in a very good way!

Lee Varis is a book recommended by many people! Glitterguru as well...

Stay away from retouching tutorials that contain guassian blur and masking,..it will give you a bad result and it kills skin texture...

I learnt dodge and burn from people here at RP, people can be very nice when being asked about certain techniques! the dodge and burn technique is a technique the pro's use! since it doesn't involve killing the texture it's more about balancing the skin textures and skin tones!

Hoepfully this was to some help!

If any questions, give me PM here at RP!

Cheers'

gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 PM

masking is a very important skill that needs to be practiced if you are to be a retoucher....i used to work with a guy who had been working with photoshop since version 1, yet he never knew how to use quickmask till i showed him last year....his masks were horrible and we often had to fix them when working on files that he had touched...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching