RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Master Retoucher

Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 PM

Re: Master Retoucher

I feel a lot of frustration here by those who want to learn to do things the right way and that's how I felt 40 years ago. As a young adult I wanted to be a master cabinetmaker. One who builds furniture. All the answers I got were the same as I hear now on this forum from those wanting to know where do I learn my craft. I was told no schools to learn from and that I would have to apprentice with a master cabinetmaker to achieve my goals. I think the key word is "apprentice." Seems like an ancient term as I type it and not one heard of much today but the under lying tone of this discussion is find someone to apprentice under. Learn your trade and either move on or stay put. Develop your own style and technique and be your own master touchup artist built on tried and true techniques. That's how I became a master cabinetmaker. Apprenticed for three years under a Scottish master then out on my own. You talk about tradesmen who don't want to give away secrets -- I am still that way. Not a good trait to have but secrets that you have worked hard to learn are hard to just let go. Human nature.
Photography has always been a love of mine so the retouching for me was just an extension of my hobby. After a serious injury and some down time I learned more about photoshop and really got involved in retouching old family photos and then it just branched out into a profitable hobby doing work for others. I am not professional but my work comes close because I strive for excellence as I did with all the furniture I have built over the past years. The computer has made it all at our finger tips and is fullfilling the I want it all and want it now mentallity of our youth. I too get frustrated when I wonder how in world did they get that result from that old picture and I can't achieve the same. For those wanting to learn it new and fresh and have colleges around night school may give you a basic knowledge of photoshop and photography. I was appalled the other day when my neighbors boy came by sporting a new Canon rebel digital. He wa going to take photography course this year and needed a camera for the class. Do you think he will learn about Fstops, film speed, shutter speeds,and lighting? Hopefully he will but as he talked it sounded like that wasn't part of it.
I've rambled on and shown my age I guess but remember you may have to spend a little money to learn your trade, may have to apprentice with someone, you may have to attend seminars or classes at educational sites, And the bottom line is it ain't going to come to you so you must go after it.
This was and is a great post and I've learned a lot from it. I too wonder how to take my art to another level and have invested too much already in DVD's and books but so far that's the only way I know for me.
For you folks who already know the trade think about this story --- I grew up in a fishing village as a young man. A friend of mine went to an old man of 90 years old and asked if he would teach him how to make fishing nets. The answer was a quick no. As time went on that story got around the community and we found out that others had asked the same of the old man and got the same reply. He sat on his front porch lonely and sad and one day died sitting in his rocker on that very spot. He took his knowledge of fishing and net making with him and had spent years with all that knowledge inside him and never shared it with anyone. His son while cleaning out his home found many of his shuttles and needles used in the forgotten craft and they are on display at the historical society in town. How sad to know so much and not share it with anyone. I thank this forum for being here for me to gain knowledge and to participate in. I am still the student but I hope someday to be the master and to be able to share with others my craft.
Thanks for listening to an older chap.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 AM

This Thread gives me much motovation to get a professional retoucher.

Thx to the pros here

Greets from germany
Calvin

http:www.calvinhollywood.de
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2007, 04:16 AM

Thanks to all
Thanks Superkoax for your suggestions. I have tons of books, magazines and cds on Photoshop but I will look for those by Eismann (hope they are edited in my country, otherwise custom duties will kill me!).
And thanks to Bcarll for sharing his thoughts and memories, I really enjoyed what he wrote.

I will keep on looking for an online class. All those tutorial found on the net are helping me but in a way I get confused.....
and yes, I usually get happy for my poor to normal results but in this case (digital art, I mean), as Bcarll wrote, "I strive for excellence"....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 AM

pixelzombie.......i couldn't agree more with you, thank you for pointing that out!

you made my day..........all i ever hear is skin this, skin that. especially on this forum!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:43 AM

I've been retouching in CMYK for years as that's how our workflow has been at two different prepress houses. My question is do most professional retouchers out there correct/retouch in RGB or CMYK, or both?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 09:15 AM

bri775. While at the beginning everyone was retouching in CMYK, most retouchers today work in RGB. However, I often find myself in CMYK when it comes to client supplied, sometimes previously retouched imagery where either going from CMYK to RGB and ultimately back to CMYK, albeit our own CMYK, would degrade the image and/or the file contains certain colored elements (primarily blue and green) that are very important and will suffer the most from conversion from RGB in the color department.

I understand prepress working exclusively in CMYK as that makes perfect sense.

KR1156, yeah people must be sick of that here. A master retoucher is just that - well rounded, quite experienced and should be able to do the simplest of tasks as well as the not so simple with equal end results. That includes masks.... AND COLOR!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 AM

i used to work mostly in cmyk, bc our files were usually supplied by the clients, some already in circulation, but needed fixing, or things cloned or moved around.

then when i started working with beauty/fashion stuff, i learned rgb very well and love it. i love working on a file in it's rarest form, rgb to me is just so much easier.

i haven't had that much experience with going in & out of cmyk/rgb like Ant was saying, but recently i helped someone on a story for elle, and the photog shot these really bright colored clothing and such, and some of the objects were blue, green, purple......anyway it was amazing how much the photog pushed to blow out those blues and greens, bc you know they'll never reproduce that way in offset w/out pms. so i recently saw the story in the magazine, i couldnt wait to see the blues and such, but at least they have a great rgb file!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 AM

i was trained to retouch in CMYK, but now work in RGB almost exclusively, which is easier/faster to me

at this point i'd guess 30% of retouching studios primarily use CMYK, the other 70% use RGB, with more moving to RGB as the industry moves away from film and towards digital capture

another thing i've noticed that gets queer when going back and forth between the two color modes (aside from brighter blues and greens) are the quality of the blacks, things sometimes get muddy and there's a loss of detail. but maybe that's just our printer
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 12:38 PM

bri775: Okey, just to in short words what is the pro's towards retouching in CMYK? I've enver retouched there, I'm not a pro...just wondering

Thanks

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 04:28 PM

One of the huge advantages is having a black channel to work with. other than that it's probably better to correct in RGB for the larger gamut. It's just a matter of what tools you're used to using...It will just take some time for someone like me to adjust. It seems to me that smaller moves are needed when adjusting in curves in RGB. For instance to remove a yellow cast in skin tones could potentially be a large move in CMYK without a drastic result. Whereas removing a yellow cast in RGB would take a smaller move in the blue channel to get the same end result. That's just what I've noticed in my limited work in RGB on skintones. I could be wrong however...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching