RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mom was MORPHED!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 PM

Re: Mom was MORPHED!

Here's the second photo. Same issue with the blur and teeth. I used the high-pass filter (with overlay blending mode) to restore sharpness and levels to take the "shine" off your mother's teeth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PortraitRTP-a.jpg (92.4 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Lonnie.... I missed that.... and it was making it confusing.... I could see the softness in the face but, on some level, knew something was a bit 'off'.... you've got a good eye....

Duwayne.... that was pretty funny asking you guys to un-retouch a photo.... and, I'm posting the original for comparison..... you did a great job giving her back to us!

I knew you all would have insight into what was going on and I appreciate everyone's help....

Thank you,
Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTP.jpg (98.4 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 09:57 PM

has she seen it. I bet she would love it. I also am a little confused. the one on the left in the OP is the photographers right? I don't know what your mom looks like but they don't look that much different to me. Harsh light of direct flash wrong color balance and over sharpened VS. slightly out of focus and very soft light. I'm glad he is giving you the originals and what you want. It is also nice that you say you would use him again because you do like his work. i hope you get what you want.....

Jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM

Hi Jimhob,

My mother in law hasn't seen the picture yet... but I'm close to finishing it.....

I will definitely use this photographer again! We had hired another photographer but 5 days before our event, he cancelled... I called this photographer with only a couple days notice to shoot our event..... right in the middle of wedding season.....

From the very beginning, he calmed me down and in a cheerful, professional way. He asked a lot of questions, too. He arrived early to check out the facilities and brought all his equipment.... I couldn't believe how quickly he hearded all 28 of us (5 were children) and had us casually grouped and laughing....

Our event was a Saturday evening and he had my photos retouched and burned to a CD that Monday. I love his work, it has a rich look that I also didn't want to lose. This is one of the reasons why I felt so bad asking for the originals. I felt like we were being ungrateful but I knew my mother in law wouldn't have been happy.

Since I've gotten to work on the photo a bit, I've thought that maybe we were used to seeing photos of her with her head usually tilted differently..... that would account for some of it....

I am going to write to him and thank him... for everything!

Thank you, too..... I do appreciate what you've said and am glad you 'got' that I do like him.

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 12:48 AM

Well...... here goes...... I'm thinking this is the final one.... in lightening it I believe I've lost some richness.... and, I may have gone overboard on the skin smoothing but, those of you who know me, will be amazed that 'no pixels were harmed by blurring in this retouch'.... hehehe

So, I'm gonna hang on tight and let you photographers and retouchers blast away.....

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MomRTP.jpg (99.2 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by solitear; 07-20-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:55 AM

This is a classic case of why you should never, ever, ever "touch up" someone's picture unless requested to do so. Even with the best of intentions you are treading on dangerous grounds.

The well meaning photographer is not intimately connected with the subject, so does not see how much his "minor" changes have altered the character and personality of the subject.

However the related observer (Solitear) who knows the subject's face well, immediately sees the differences, and as the alterations were not asked for feels rightly aggrieved.

Interesting thread, and I think a lesson to us all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 02:17 AM

Tried keeping it 'real'. Lightened the pic as a whole, minimised the shadows and lightened that beautiful hair!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solitear1.jpg (96.3 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 02:31 AM

Thanks, Gary.... it taught me, too...... looking at it, I saw the multitued of times I'd made something 'better' but, in reality, made it 'different'..... I still don't know when to stop.....

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 02:34 AM

Hi Ziaphra..... your lightening went a long way towards bringing Mom back..... I could've saved myself lots of trouble if I'd started with that..... my hindsight is getting sharper and sharper! Thanks for working on this...

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 05:18 AM

Hi solitear,

I agree with everyone's assessment's... eyes/teeth glow, skin too blurry, and everyone has done nice correction work.

I was curious why the photog's retouching didn't look right, so I addressed those issues as well. Hope you don't mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ComparisonRTPedit.jpg (96.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching