RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mom was MORPHED!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:22 AM

Re: Mom was MORPHED!

Craig..... hehehe..... I always make things more difficult than they ought to be...... Here's what I should have done in the beginning..... post the original and the morphed.... but when I started this thread, I only had the 'morphed' photo...... since I wanted people to know what she really looked like, I posted a snapshot of her along side the morphed version of her.....

Below is morphed mom on the left and it's original on the right.....

oxoxo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comparison.jpg (99.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 PM

ah, ok. with ya now

ok, i went back up in the posts and looked at your work against this last post. looks great!

it's always a bit of a question mark when retouching older folks. do you remove the wrinkles, reduce them or leave them alone. i tend to like how you went, reducing. good job on re-lighting and good job on the teeth. nicely done all around.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
it's always a bit of a question mark when retouching older folks. do you remove the wrinkles, reduce them or leave them alone.
Gotta disagree with you there Craig, I don't think its a question at all, unless the client requested a "touch up" you leave the pics exactly as is.

OK a general levels or colour adjustment to correct any exposure problems is acceptable, but most definitely no "enhancements" to the appearance of the people in the shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM

gary, generally i agree. but in this particular case, this is family and a gift and in a way, beth here IS the client. so, she gets license to do it how she thinks is best. i do the same thing when working on family shots. they are my gift to the family. so, i'm both the agent and the client, so i make the call.

the exception is if family comes to me and says 'i'd like it this way or that way.'. when working for clients, it's exactly as you say, though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2007, 04:13 PM

I haven't read through all the thread, but as I understood it the original "morphed" shot was produced by the photographer not by Beth.

He probably meant well, but was acting without client consultation as I read it, with the result that Beth was rightly annoyed.

I agree with you that if it were Beth doing things, then she is both retoucher and client and can act as she wishes, but I didn't think that that's what we were talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Hi Gary and Craig........ you're both right..... this is just convoluted because my mother-in-law didn't hire the photographer..... my hubby and I did..... it was a gift for their anniversary......

The reason I asked the photographer for the un-retouched photos on a CD is because I know my mom-n-law and 'picky' doesn't begin to describe her.... she is wonderful but, to give you an idea, when I told her we'd scheduled a photographer for the group photo and their portrait, her only comments were, "well, where's he going to take the pictures..... he isn't going to be there the whole night, is he......." so...ya see what I mean.....

I knew she would pick those pictures apart and I wasn't going to put the photographer in that position after he'd come to our rescue...... I knew, too, that she'd want to look as if the pic was taken on her 'best' day and not made up since she doesn't wear much makeup..... I think she has beautiful features.....

Now, having said all that, I still was unsure how to go about retouching her photo..... it would have been easier if I hadn't known her.....

BTW..... I showed her 5x7's of the retouched group and of their portrait for her to pick out the ones she liked so I could have larger ones made and she said, 'are these all you have.... I thought he took one where my hands were in a different position'....... Wreeeerrr... thank goodness she has some other qualities that balance this out.... not like me who only has good qualities..... hehehe

........ where's my rifle....... you may want to move this thread to something called..... um..... Photoshop Psychiatry Pforum....

Here's the one they're getting.... like it or not...... (Craig, this was what I was referring to in the other thread when I said I was taking my toys and going home)....

Thank you all for your help and your insight.... I love the direction this thread turned with emphasis on how much to do/don't do..... thank you.

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5x7cRTP.jpg (98.1 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 03:03 AM

Beautiful picture Beth, I'm sure they'll love it.

If not send em to live with me for a week, they'll be begging for forgiveness when they come back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 AM

Thanks, Gary...... you made my day!

...... and, um..... hubby and I are taking you up on your offer..... their plane lands at 4 and we've told them they're going to Walt Disney World.....

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
we've told them they're going to Walt Disney World.....
Sorry I blew it up last night, there's gonna be none of that frivolous enjoyment stuff if they stay with me.

I hope you didn't tell them they were gonna be fed or anything, otherwise that's another nasty shock that's coming their way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM

...... hehehe....... yeah, they're probably gonna wanna eat... I wonder if Craig has any room 'somewhere over there' cuz this whole idea is really sounding good.....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching