RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mom was MORPHED!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 PM

Mom was MORPHED!

Can you help me 'see' what's wrong with my sweet mother in law's photo?

We hired a photographer to shoot a couple of photos of my in law's 60th wedding anniversary. He was a great guy, came to our location and I think he took some great shots...

I asked him if he would just put the pictures on a CD for me and give me permission to print them.... he agreed but then said, "I'll pick out the best of the group shot and the best shot of your inlaws portraits then I'll crop and retouch them".... I said, ".. oh, don't worry about that, I mess around with PhotoShop and I'll do it"......

I got the CD home and opened it up and the group shot was really nice but the portrait of my inlaws.... GASP..... my mother in law didn't even look like herself......

We called the photographer and he's agreed to putting the unretouched pics on a CD. I felt horrible because I know he thought he was doing us the better favor by touching them up..... I absolutely will use him again for a bunch of reasons.... but the family is asking about one of my 'famous' slideshows of the anny event and I don't have time to make the 1hr trip to get the original photos.

What is it that looks 'awkward' about the photo..... my real mother in law is on the right.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ComparisonRTP.jpg (98.0 KB, 296 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Re: Mom was MORPHED!

i think it's her eyebrows....maybe...they look shorter which changes a lot of her look to me, plus, it seems like there is less room between the bottom of her eyebrow and the top of her eyelid...just an observation...both nice pics though
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 PM

the lip is "BENDING" to much...but that is not the photographers fault

th eyes is a white and soft...it seems that he has put some sort of diffuse/softing technique on her face...

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Hi Lelhsaneerg,

You're right about the eyebrows, but.... hehehe.... she does trim them.... I have a big thing about brows.... I think they sort of 'make' the face..... I'm going to try to add back the length and see if that helps....

I was thinking about that distance, too..... but kinda left it alone cuz I thought maybe the tilt of her head would make that look shorter.....

Thank you for these good ideas, I'm going to try them!

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 02:45 PM

Hey Superkoax,

Re: the mouth "bend", I thought something was goofy there so I did a horizontal flip on her mouth and, when my hysterical laughing subsided, decided maybe it was the contrast between teeth and lips..

I also agree the eye whites may be a little too bright....

I guess the overall impression I get when I first look at the photo is that she looks like Herman Munster......

Thanks for your help.... I think I'll post more of each picture .......

I really do love his work.... I just think some of the actions or filters just didn't work well with her already strong features....

Thanks, superkoax
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Hard to say without seeing the source that was retouched, but to me, he's brightened her teeth way too much -- and made them 'glow', which is very unnatural. It's important to realize that teeth yellow with age and care must be taken when retouching not to go overboard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM

LonK,

I agree about the teeth and know I have to force myself to keep from going overboard there... I didn't realize I was seeing a 'glow' but there is.

Here's a picture of the whole shot with insert of them naturally.... I love the photos, just got to get Mom back...

Thank you!
Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PortraitRTP.jpg (99.5 KB, 125 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 03:32 PM

If you take an ordinary picture with direct and cold flash and compare it to a picture that has diffused flash and is more portrait minded, well there is the difference,,,some filters here, but her smile is very white and her eyes is white too...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Another thing I'm seeing here, Beth, is that her hair, neck and necklace are very sharp, yet her face (eyes in particular) are much softer, almost like they're out of focus. This disparity in contrasts is confusing to the senses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM

This is the first time I have tried to un-retouch a photo. I flipped the good photo and overlaid it on the bad photo to allow for better comparison. He must have used blur because running high-pass filter un-did the softness. I brought the teeth back to natural by using levels and used Hue/Saturation and Color Balance to restore the color of the eyes. Minor de-saturation of the red channel corrected the skin color difference. Sooo.... here's your mother back (at least as close as I can get). Remember the good photo has been flipped horizontally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ComparisonRTP-a.jpg (98.2 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching