RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pro methods of Retouching hair?

Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Re: Pro methods of Retouching hair?

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but after watching the Natalia's video, there is something I am not understanding....
If I mimic her steps, new empty layer in darken mode, and clone tool on darken mode, when I go to clone the fly away hairs, or anything for that matter, nothing happens?
Now, if I duplicate layer in darken mode, and darken mode on clone tool, everything works fine.
Am I missing something? Does it matter whether it's a blank layer or not?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 PM

You probably set your clone tool to sample the current layer only. In the toolbar on top chose Sample: "Current and below" or "All layers" and it should work :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM

That was it!
Thank you , Sir!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Because the modes in the clone tool don't work on an empty layer - the layer needs to be blended darken or lighten for it to work
In Natalia's video, Beauty and Hair Retouching, High End Techniques, series 2, she clones in darken mode on a blank layer set to normal to fix hair. That series was made for CS4. Has something changed in CS5 so that choosing a blending mode for the clone stamp tool in the options bar and then cloning on an empty layer set to normal no longer works?

Last edited by Caravaggio; 12-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM

No changes, it just doesn't work the same.
If you set the layer to "Normal" and the stamp to "Darken", you'll in your first pass clone in "Normal" mode on this layer (so you can actually lighten pixels as well) as there are no underlying pixels to work with. Now on your second pass, you can't make anything from your first pass lighter, but only darker, because the "Darken" mode in the stamp works with the underlying pixels.
If you also set the layer mode to "Darken", you'll only darken your image in the first pass already.

Both methods can work, but personally sometimes I find that "Darken" mode produces some artifacts, so I have to use "Normal" mode to fix this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Ray has some hair samples at his disposable - which is a good idea. I agree with all of the above. I might also add that there are often areas within the existing hair that can be cut and repasted in position and maybe some liquify to get the bend, curl that you want and then some careful blending.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM

I have a question considering this technigue.

What is the best way to stamp, or the best source point? Which is the preferred brush size and hardness?

If I do it as i saw and heard was right, and that is to clone form the one side and then the other, I often find that i get more repeated patterns than I would like.

I find it most useful when using a brush that is slightly bigger than the thickness of the hair and then zig-zag sampling from both sides on the adequate layers(lighten and darken), thus covering the hair completely from the one side, then completely form the other and so back and forth. I use next to the hardest setting for the brush hardness( one [ press down). That seems to give the best results. Also, I find this way of using the technique useful when tackling those rat's nests or frizzy areas.

AM I MISTAKEN?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
I have a question considering this technigue.

What is the best way to stamp, or the best source point? Which is the preferred brush size and hardness?

If I do it as i saw and heard was right, and that is to clone form the one side and then the other, I often find that i get more repeated patterns than I would like.

I find it most useful when using a brush that is slightly bigger than the thickness of the hair and then zig-zag sampling from both sides on the adequate layers(lighten and darken), thus covering the hair completely from the one side, then completely form the other and so back and forth. I use next to the hardest setting for the brush hardness( one [ press down). That seems to give the best results. Also, I find this way of using the technique useful when tackling those rat's nests or frizzy areas.

AM I MISTAKEN?

Nice necro. If you're going over a few pixels in brush size on a typical photo, you're using the wrong tool. If I need to replace a larger area, I rebuild it. I start cloning when the areas get too small for rebuilding to make sense. Even in rebuilding you may have to use various segments. It has to be close enough to where you can shade it to perfection in the end without compromising detail, which means doing the previous steps with as much precision as possible. The thing is learning to break difficult work into steps (without being sloppy on any of them) rather than allow it to get to a point of banging your head against the wall.

Cleaning up strays and cross hairs is easy. The annoying thing is dealing with continuity in large amounts of hair. Since you mentioned rat's nests and cloning sources, you have to use your brain. Look at where you are taking your references. In the end as I stated you'll never solve complicated problems by cloning alone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 PM

That is what I do, but there are images where most of the hair is frizzy, and it is an intentional hair style, so what then, how else am i supposed to patch up hairs which are dominating the picture without adding to it? I clone them out?

Perhaps it's just practice practice practice and I shouldn't be zooming in as much.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching