RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pro methods of Retouching hair?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:54 PM

Re: Pro methods of Retouching hair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
That is what I do, but there are images where most of the hair is frizzy, and it is an intentional hair style, so what then, how else am i supposed to patch up hairs which are dominating the picture without adding to it? I clone them out?

Perhaps it's just practice practice practice and I shouldn't be zooming in as much.
I think I know what you mean here, but obviously I'm not looking at one of these photos. Cloning really doesn't produce good results beyond a brush size of a few pixels. When you talk about zig zagging and stuff, you're trying to turn it into a set method when it really needs to just be about whatever would allow it to retain texture and follow the lighting. Zig zagging may seem to help, as then you aren't just producing an exact obvious copy of the other hair that borders it, but as I said you need to examine the image as you work. I wouldn't zoom out too far on cloning work. I'd keep the brush hard most of the time, somewhere in the realm of 70-80%.

If you're covering a lot of area as opposed to a few pixels in a given area because of the number of hairs that must be cloned out, the clone brush on its own simply isn't going to deliver the needed results. If you really must work that way, do it on a blank layer and be prepared to apply further adjustment to that data after you're done cloning. If a blending mode is required, set the blending mode you need on the blank layer itself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Thumbs up Re: Pro methods of Retouching hair?

You misunderstood my question. Why isn't there proper plural for the "hair" noun . I could say her hairs, yet it may sound as if I were refereeing to Cousin It.

I use a really hard brush, one step down is like 85% percent(maybe even 90%), which I do soften if the region is out-of-focus. I only clone what appears to be a single hair, never a hair strand. Yet, at the resolution of 10mpix of my camera and a close-up head shot, single hair can be as thick as 6 pix(given the focus shifts). Also, depending on the lightning I may also find additional width of the hair because of the reflection off the hair and/or the shadow of the hair.

I do all the work on a separate layer, and the blending modes are darken and lighten, accordingly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You misunderstood my question. Why isn't there proper plural for the "hair" noun . I could say her hairs, yet it may sound as if I were refereeing to Cousin It.

I use a really hard brush, one step down is like 85% percent(maybe even 90%), which I do soften if the region is out-of-focus. I only clone what appears to be a single hair, never a hair strand. Yet, at the resolution of 10mpix of my camera and a close-up head shot, single hair can be as thick as 6 pix(given the focus shifts). Also, depending on the lightning I may also find additional width of the hair because of the reflection off the hair and/or the shadow of the hair.

I do all the work on a separate layer, and the blending modes are darken and lighten, accordingly.
You sound like you're trying to be detailed about this which is good. Cloning at 6px in width hits a point where it starts to become a difficult tool for the task at times, especially if you're hitting a lot of area with this. In a high contrast area, it can be problematic. You should still pay attention to your clone source, but even if you do it perfectly, you may have to smooth out the lighting on your work at that kind of brush width. I'd clean up all the hairs, then go back in and do the shading to ensure that it matches. You can use an oscillating curve (sometimes referred to as a solar curve) to check for problems in the tonal continuity beyond what you can see on your display.

The biggest problem I see is trying to solve it with one thing rather than chipping away at the problem. Does that help or am I still misinterpreting (no sarcasm intended)?

By the way..... maya is a bitch of a program to learn.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM

I think I've gotten some good advice from you, and also anyone else who'll read this topic in the future. So, thank you.

Yes, Maya is difficult, but it is the only 3d program that makes actual 3d objects instead of polygons.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I think I've gotten some good advice from you, and also anyone else who'll read this topic in the future. So, thank you.

Yes, Maya is difficult, but it is the only 3d program that makes actual 3d objects instead of polygons.
You're welcome. Oh and I only picked maya because it's the most popular one amongst the shops here. Maya experience = big plus if I ever need a job at one of them. I'm getting pretty comfortable with it, and my background in photography (quite a few years ago) translates well when it comes to lighting in cg programs .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching