RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pro methods of Retouching hair?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 AM

Smile Pro methods of Retouching hair?

Does anyone have any advise on pro methods of removing crosshairs and stray hairs? To clone is'nt good and the healing tools not much better. I
've tried dodge and burn on a softlight gray layer, but that does'nt always work well.

I'd appreciate any tips or advice anyones willing to give!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 AM

Re: Pro methods of Retouching hair?

Intensive, careful cloning. No healing. Sometimes utilizing darken mode. Often a nice piece of hair or curl is placed over trouble/rats nest areas. 81% of all the retouching I do is on hair campaigns of late.

If you are having trouble, you are not being careful enough or not putting in or willing to put in the time to do it right. Hair is just skin. It's all the same really. Critical time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 AM

Smile Re: Pro methods of Retouching hair?

Thanks a lot for that information Ant. I really appreciate the advice from a pro like yourself. At least I now know the best method to follow
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
Does anyone have any advise on pro methods of removing crosshairs and stray hairs? To clone is'nt good and the healing tools not much better. I
've tried dodge and burn on a softlight gray layer, but that does'nt always work well.

I'd appreciate any tips or advice anyones willing to give!
The cloning tool obliterates texture, the healing brush turns drastically different color and value combinations (like black hair on pale skin) into shapeless blobs. Combine the two, you get the best of both worlds. Clone out the drastic variations, then smooth over the transitions with the healing brush. It's never just a 1 or 2 step process. Sometimes you need to coax each small area back to where you want it to be. That's the problem with retouching, it's never dramatic, push-button stuff. Just small, simple moves, repeated over and over, building up the effect gradually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Natalia Taffarel has a video tutorial on retouching fly away hairs available for free.

If I remember correctly,

make a new layer, set it to darken.
Clone stamp tool, 100%hardness, 100% opacity, and set its blend mode to darken ASWELL.
Use a small brush, just big enough to cover the hair strand, sample from just next to it, paint over.
It retains most of the texture because of the hardness and full opacity, but only retouches over the highlights, most loose hairs have caught more light and appear lighter. For darker fly-aways, make a new layer but set it to lighten, and same for the clone tool.

so pretty much what Ant said, but with more explanation.

Very time consuming but it's the best result i've seen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Here you go: http://vimeo.com/25667413

For me, one video tutorial is mightier than written tutorial of hundreds of words :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 PM

To repair or add hair...or to fix cross hairs...I will often use the clone tool with the align mode checked and set it at 100% to straighten hair or to fix cross overs. I will place the sample point next to hair samples that will fix the problem...then I will place the clone point itself right on the bad hair and then move down. Its like transferring the good piece of hair to the bad hair area... and the align feature will keep the samples matched up even if they are some distance apart.

Over the years I also have saved up a library of hair samples...some nice straight hair shot in hi-res in various colors. This way I can create perfect hair samples to clone and transfer from. I will often clip a curves layer to the source hair texture... and make the curve to create a perfect color match for me... in addition to the textures. Sometime having library based hair samples is the sanest way to get the work done...your bad hair might be bad all over...and you need a really good piece of perfectly matched hair to fix the bad hair. Samples also makes great patching material for holes in the hair, ears sticking out, fixing up blotches in bad cutouts...or by adding in straight textures to patch up crossed hair.

Whenever you can...start making a sample library every time you come across some nice hair, beautiful curls, or great textures...you will be happier and happier over time... because you will have source materials to fix problems with.

Attached is an example of the kind of library a pro shop might create in house... to always have perfect hair available to help fix up various hair problems.

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Library Example 1a.jpg (92.3 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by ray12; 10-12-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Truer words were never spoken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
If you are having trouble, you are not being careful enough or not putting in or willing to put in the time to do it right.
Knowing what to do and when is important but long hours of slow painstaking effort is the hallmark of a quality retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Referring to Natalie T's tutorial quoted earlier - she works on a layer in Darken Blend Mode with a tool also in Darken Blend Mode. Why both in Darken mode?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
Referring to Natalie T's tutorial quoted earlier - she works on a layer in Darken Blend Mode with a tool also in Darken Blend Mode. Why both in Darken mode?
Because the modes in the clone tool don't work on an empty layer - the layer needs to be blended darken or lighten for it to work
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching