RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

1st Post, Testing out Liquify

Old 07-28-2007, 02:18 AM

1st Post, Testing out Liquify

Hey guys, this is the first retouch that I think I've done OK on. I just learned about the powers of liquify, and I try them out a little in this picture. Also, I did some rudimentary skin fixing and some other things. Tell me what you think, and criticism is most welcome.

Original:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6922/rt1ori2.gif
Retouched:
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4937/rt1rjh4.gif

Sorry if the pictures are too big.

Stock picture courtisy of http://www.sxc.hu/

-Trip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:21 AM
Patron

Re: 1st Post, Testing out Liquify

Trip, welcome to retouch pro. Sort of a harsh criticism coming from me. Incidentally I am an amateur so just remember that but here is my opinion.

I think you over corrected in general. Her eyes are grey and not blue. Her skin tone is pretty flat and splotchy and her breasts are enlarged. I personally would prefer to see a few freckles and a more natural appearing skin and an eye color closer to the original, and breast size about the same as the original too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Hi trip,I think overall pretty good,but the whites are blown out and the whites of her eyes are just to white it looks fake.But thats why we keep practising

just my opinion zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 06:21 AM

Philbach's points are all good. It's not so much that you went too far, because, depending on the situation and needs of the job, there really is no such thing as too far, as long as the client signs the check and it clears the bank. But you've violated the Prime Directive of retouching: If you do your job right, no one knows you were there. There have been other threads on this forum dealing with the issues of anonymity in the high-end retouching business, but truth is, that's what we are: the anonymous mechanics behind the creative process. No one wants to admit that they use our services but everyone does. If you leave a trail, you won't be asked back.

So analyze Philbach's comments in this context and ask yourself how can you make the kinds of changes you've made, yet keep the results looking real? Real, but perfect, of course. More perfect than anything you see on the street? You betcha. But real. That's the myth to which you pay homage, the beast you must feed. We want to pretend that our fantasies really could have been born that way, even though nobody you know actually passes that test.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:56 AM

Hey Trip,
From one amateur to another (this is actually my very first thread), I think you did a fine job on this one. The skin and the eyes don't bother me that much, but what struck me was that you might have just left her hair intact with her original strands and roots. The hair this way looks a bit odd. I think if you had left the hair as it was, it would have made it considerably more realistic. I like it though. I was actually drawn to this thread because of the mention of the Liquify command, which I think is a great, but tough one to use at times. I see you used it on her eye, which was a good move, but I might not have made a white space between her lower eyelid and her iris. Nice work overall. Anyway, like zganie said, keep practicing. I'll expect a pie in the face or two when I submit my first one I'm sure.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching