RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help for a new Photoshop user - Masking !??

Old 08-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Question Help for a new Photoshop user - Masking !??

Its been a few weeks since I posted my first question ( See "Start to Finish") and I now have some more questions. Swampy and Gary R. gave me important feedback on my first photo. I have since started trying to learn the basics of Photoshop CS3 and have developed a few more gray hairs over that endevor...but its starting to come along. I am using the tutorial by Deke McClelland as starting point. I can now see that the use of masks will be the tool that I need to accomplish my initial goals but I'm having major problems understanding the process and the theory behind it. Is there a totorial that specifically details this part of CS3 (or any other version) for a rank beginner. Masking seems to have a hundred steps to do what would otherwise seem to be a simple process....and I feel I'm missing something somewhere along the way. It truly can't be as complicated as I seem to be making it out to be.

A second question, and this is probably something that I'm jumping ahead on. But when I finally get the hang of masking and can produce a product I can be proud of, I would like to have a way to sign and copyright the photo. Is there a way I can have a black signature file and a white signature file that I can superimpose onto my works? I see this on other people's photos but have not been able to figure out how its done. (Is it a stamp?)

When I finally become comfortable with masking, I will post another photo on line and let you see if I have improved in my techniques....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help....

Crazy Cockatoo....
Craig Reavis
McKinney, Texas
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Re: Help for a new Photoshop user - Masking !??

Crazy, First the easy question... I do my signature with an action.

I hope you watched my video on masking as it might help wrap your brain around the concept. The first, and probably hardest part, of creating a mask is making a selection. All masks are generated by creating a selection (or in the case of adjustment layers a reveal all mask is added as soon as you choose an adjustment. You then have the option to paint black on the mask to hide the adjustment in selected areas of the image.)

There are so many ways to make a selection and the basic ones are done with tools from the tool palette. Even the rectangular and eliptical marqee tools are selection tools. Add to that the pen tool, magic wand, lasso, polygon, magic lasso. The paint brush becomes a selection tool when used in Quick Mask mode where you are essentially painting in the selection. Once you have the selection and the marching ants you have two options, either isolating the selection on it's own layer (Layer/New/Layer via copy = Control or Command J) or adding a layer mask (Layer/Layer Mask/Reveal Selection - or Hide Selection if you have the background selected - or by clicking on the layer mask icon in the layer's palette).

A layer masks hides (black fill) or reveals (white fill) the effect of what ever you have done to that layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2007, 03:40 PM

Where is your video? I need to check it out...

I just received a beautiful print in the mail from Tom Weigand from Pennsylvania (TheWinningImage.com) of my French Bulldog. There are two head shots on the picture. The hairs on the heads are sharp, every tiny detail is visable and the images seem to jump out at you. The fades into the backgroung are soft while the detail of the dog's head and face is sharp and clear. Its this type of photo I want to do. Hopefully your video can get me back on track with masking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Patron

Swampy has addressed your masking question. As for the watermark, here is a method I use.
Create a new image 5000 x 5000 pixels at 300 ppi. Yes, this is a rather large size but it will work with almost any image you have an it auto-scales as you will see in a moment.
Click on the text tool and type your copyright text. If you need a copyright symbol, there are a set of key strokes for that special character. There is also a copyright symbol in the Custom Shapes pull down menu when you select the Custom Shape Tool (U).
Delete the background layer so that the remaining layer or layers are transparent.
Next double click the layer to bring up the Layer Styles dialog box (or click the "add layer style" button at the bottom of the palette.
From the dialog box select Bevel and Emboss. Try a depth of around 200 and a size of about 25 (play around a little). Finally, reduce the Fill opacity from 100 to 0 and click the OK button to apply the layer style. The text should be mostly transparent with a shadow. Save this file as a .psd.

Now to apply the watermark to an image. Open the image and then go File>Place. When the dialog box comes up, direct it to the psd file you saved and click ok. Notice the watermark will be auto-sized and placed in the center of you photo and it will be set to the same resolution as your photo.
You can shrink or expand it with the transform corners if required befoore you hit the ok. Once you click ok you can reposition the watermark like any other object. Sample below. Have fun!
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reavis Watermark MM1.jpg (63.9 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2007, 04:01 PM

>> Where is your video? I need to check it out...

Just click the link in my signature. This will lead you to the font door of my home page. Follow the link "Photoshop Tutorials" from there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2007, 08:53 PM

Re: Second attempt

Well the weekend has come to a close and I have come up with a photo of my French Bulldog that I think shows some improvement from my first attempt (See "Start to Finish" for the first attempt). I want to thank everyone who sent replys. I'm still "playing" with masking and trying to get the hang of it and I feel I have some way to get yet, but one weekend's playing seems to have paid off a little bit.

Craig
Crazy Cockatoo (I may try a photo of "Larry Bird", my Cockatoo next !)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyler 08.jpg (69.9 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Hi Craig,

The new picture is distinct improvement on the last.

I think it might be improved a little by fading the bottom edge of the dog into the background a little more gradually, but that's a purely personal opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 PM

a good tip to get your signature without having to spend 200$ on a wacom board is to use a good thick pen and white a4 paper sheet...

write your siganture as good as you can...then either scan it, og photograph it....in ps it's easy to use the magic wand to select the white and delete it...then your own signature would appear and not those fonts....

gerry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching