RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Double Chin

Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 PM

Double Chin

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site. I have been trying to get myself acquainted to Photoshop version 6 ( never used photoshop before) I have several books from the library but am still not finding the technique I am look for in the photoshop version I have.

I have a photo my subject has a double chin and she has asked me to make it go away. Can anyone please give me some advice.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Patron

Re: Double Chin

Welcome to RP! There are double chins and then there are DOUBLE CHINS.
It is difficult to tell without seeing the image. Sometimes it can be removed with the clone tool, sometimes liquify, sometimes a selective blurring, and many more. Try attaching a sample, if not the entire face, just post the chin section.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Thank you, here is the pic attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chin.jpg (64.9 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Been awhile since I used Photoshop 6. I don't recall exactly, but you may be missing the two tools that are most helpful in a situation like this: the Liquify filter and the healing brush.

However, you can accomplish a lot without them simply by reworking your shadows and highlights. Notice the band of skin just under the chin, how much lighter it is. That's because it's much more vertical, due to the unwanted contour of the double chin; it's getting the light directly, whereas a thinner contour would curve back from the chin and fall into shadow right away.

Here's a sample using a dodge/burn layer with some judicious cloning to smooth out the edges. The actual edges of the neck and chin have not been deformed; I only made the shadow begin directly under the chin and extended the bright area of the neck up farther.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/chin_db_clone.jpg

In this version, I used liquify to push the sides in some and used the healing brush to blend the light and dark regions after dodging and burning.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/liquify_db_heal.jpg

In both version, shifting the highlights and shadows is the primary move and can be easily done with Version 6.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 PM

Thank you for the reply. I do not have the heal tool in my version unfortunately. However I do have the liquify tool and clone tool. Your pictures look great. I guess I am needing a step by step to fix my pic since I am so new to photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthernbelle View Post
Thank you for the reply. I do not have the heal tool in my version unfortunately. However I do have the liquify tool and clone tool. Your pictures look great. I guess I am needing a step by step to fix my pic since I am so new to photoshop.
A great place to start would be any of a number of threads here on various Dodging/Burning techniques (none of which use the Dodge and Burn tools, by the way). I did a search on "dodge and burn" and turned up six pages of theads. There are many approaches, all of which aim at lightening and darkening selected pixels in a non-destructive way. Some people like to use two different curve adjustment layers, one for lightening, one for darkening, both masked out completely, and then selectively paint white into the masks to achieve the result. My own preference is to use a Hard Light layer, a brush at 4% or 5% opacity and set to pressure sensitive (I use a tablet) with a size slightly smaller than the area I want to change, and I paint white or black into the layer to achieve the results. The benefit with this approach is you don't need to switch back and forth between layers and you don't get odd overlaps where both layers are trying to act on the same pixels. Simply hitting the "X" key switches from dodging to burning. Any saved steps are desirable in a process that can go on forever. Sometimes, rather than using white and black, I'll sample a bright highlight and darker shadow region for my colors. You have to play around a bit, and do some research. Like I said, everyone has their own preference. If you scan the search threads, you'll find many approaches, all with the same intention: lighten areas that are too dark, and darken areas that are too light.

With the liquify tool, make sure your brush size is appropriate to the area being modified. Too small and you'll get irregular lines in your edges, too large and you'll suck in too much of the surrounding pixels that you'd rather leave alone. I like to leave my Density and Pressure settings around 30 - 40. Pressure is the force that the brush applies to the pixels being shifted: higher densities push pixels farther with each stroke. Density is the tendency of each stroke to spread out from the brush center and drag along adjacent pixels. There are no "correct" settings, and you'll have to play around a bit to get a feel for what works.

Without a healing brsuh, you're stuck with cloning which was always an imperfect solution. Your images are not sufficiently high-res for texture degradtion to be a problem so you can get away with cloning and not worry about losing detail. If you have a tablet set your pen to pressure sensitive, and lower your opacity to somewhere between 40% and 60%. If you don't have a tablet, I'd lower the opacity even more, the idea being that you want to build up your moves gradually, with no single stroke standing out (with it's obvious clone edges). Low opacity strokes can work desired transitions without obvious edges, but, in the case of high focus skin texture, each stroke splits the different in texture between sample and target and after a while you're left with smooth transitions in textureless mud. That's why the healing tool was such a leap forward when it was introduced: it avoids that completely. It brings its own quirks along with it, but they're easily overcome. Think about upgrading at some point. If you're going to be using Photoshop, it's worth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 AM

This is done with 3 adj layers (brightness/contrast), and a color corr. layer.
I used the cloning tool to determine the shape of the neck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chin.jpg (95.9 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 AM

This is really rough but more for concept. I copied the chin and then widened it to fit the shape of the face better, erased the bits that were excess to what I wanted. Then using curves darkened around the neck to give the impression of neck rather than chin and slightly lightened the line created by the chin which looked like a bit of overhang.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot001.jpg (48.8 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Patron

Re: Double Chin and Liquify tool

I used the liquify tool to reshape the neck. One wonders how much thinner the neck should be without being too obvious. In addition I decreased some of the red spots and also decreased the red color itself using a selective color layer mask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doublechin.jpg (94.0 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 09:09 PM

I cloned from the outside to reduce the neck width and used the smudge tool to reshape the chin line.
Lassoed and then darkened the under-chin area with curves, that also let me adjust the colour to suit. Added some noise to correct the too-smooth texture.
Then I used the dodger to simulate the muscles that would be holding the head up right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chinbefore-after.jpg (94.8 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching