RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pock Marks

Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Re: Pock Marks

If you Flatten the image, all layers are reduced to one layer. Merge Visible will merge all layers with the eye icon turned on into a single layer. Best, if you are going to be retouching always go to image duplicate and then work on the copy of your image. Then if anything goes wrong you still have your original image. What I like to do is hold down the ALT key and while holding the ALT key down click on Merge Visible and that saves all of your layers and puts the merged layer at the top of the stack.
dc

Last edited by DCobb; 08-15-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 AM

Is this similar to pixel density matching technique?

-----
Use the clone stamp and set its opacity and flow below 60%. Set its mode to Darken to target the lighter pixels that are 50% or lighter and clone away. After you're done with the lighter pixels, change its mode to Lighten to target the darker pixels that are 50% or darker this time to even out. Try not to go too heavy handed or you'll get that obvious smudging effect from the tool. It's easy, quick, and simple...and it should give you something to start with before you're ready to begin learning more advanced techniques.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthernbelle View Post
I want to thank all you for your ideas. It is so nice to find a forum where people are willing to help out to not so knowledgeable ones. I am going to try a few of the suggestions and see which works for me.
Edgework,
I have been working yours and his forehead looks much better. I have on last question for you when I am done with these steps do I flatten the image or merge visible? I am going to have to do the research to find out the difference between the two.
MisterMonday thank you as well for the tutorial I am going to check that out too.
Merge Visible will flatten the visible layers into one layer and leave any layers that aren't visible as they are. If you hold down the Option key, you can copy the merged layers into a new layer. CS2 will do it automatically for you. CS1 and earlier require you to create a new, empty layer, and then run the command with that layer active (and the Option key down).

Flatten reduces all visible layers to a single background layer.

I personally merge to a new layer all the time. I don't usually delete the prep layers that go into the merge; rather I'll put them into their own group and turn it off, then name the merged layer in such a way that I know what point in the process it represents. If all I'm doing is retouching, healing, cloning etc, I'll probably not do a lot of merging. But for a procedure like the one I used on your image, I'll put everything into its own layer once I'm happy with it at that stage. I've found that the healing brush doesn't alwasy blend smoothly when it's done on its own layer (though I haven't really come up with a specific cause or situation that triggers it) so I sometime will merge everything just because it seems to make healing easier. Probably falls under the heading of personal quirk, but it's our quirks that get us through the day, yes?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bird View Post

-----
Use the clone stamp and set its opacity and flow below 60%. Set its mode to Darken to target the lighter pixels that are 50% or lighter and clone away. After you're done with the lighter pixels, change its mode to Lighten to target the darker pixels that are 50% or darker this time to even out. Try not to go too heavy handed or you'll get that obvious smudging effect from the tool. It's easy, quick, and simple...and it should give you something to start with before you're ready to begin learning more advanced techniques.
Using the same approach also works with the healing brush, without the smudging of texture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bird View Post

-----
Use the clone stamp and set its opacity and flow below 60%. Set its mode to Darken to target the lighter pixels that are 50% or lighter and clone away. After you're done with the lighter pixels, change its mode to Lighten to target the darker pixels that are 50% or darker this time to even out. Try not to go too heavy handed or you'll get that obvious smudging effect from the tool. It's easy, quick, and simple...and it should give you something to start with before you're ready to begin learning more advanced techniques.
It basically gives you more control over the pixels by targeting the lights and darks separately. I rarely work this way anymore, except on hair. I posted it since the original poster is using PS6.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching