RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pock Marks

Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 PM

Question Pock Marks

Hello can anyone help me,

I have photoshop version 6 and took a pic of a gentelmen that has serious pock marks. How would be the best way to smooth them out? I am freshly new to photoshop so I would need a step by step.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0130pockmarks.jpg (61.9 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM

Re: Pock Marks

There are numerous ways this can be done. I simply used the patch tool which is in with the healing brush. On the left side of the face there is an area that can be sampled. I just selected a small section and moved it to the area. As the corrected area grows you can select larger portions of the area and move them to the area.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face2.jpg (184.3 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 PM

Oh that looks wonderful. Unfortunately I do not have the patch tool in my version, I was looking for that tool earlier tonight. Darn I am thinking I am going to have to break down an buy the newest version of photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 11:41 PM

Hi,

What exactly are you using. Is it Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or something else?

dc

Here is the picture done this time with the healing brush.

(I must have been sleeping!! You started your post with the answer to my question.) Sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face3.jpg (92.5 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by DCobb; 08-13-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 01:59 AM

Remember, whatever method you use to diminish those pockmarks, you don't want to eliminate them entirely. This is a candid snapshot and not a woman's face in skin commercial. You want to ameliorate them, draw attention away from them, make them look less visible but still let the person be recognisable. You want people who don't know the person never to notice his skin and people who do know to think that it is not so bad after all. It should be done in such a way that it looks good and real at the same time.

My advice to you is to learn all you can about Dodge and Burn. The highlights and shadows are all over the place on the forehead in that shot and need to be evened out before you do anything else. You could then smooth things out with the clone tool (seeing you don't have a healing brush) and lastly you could dial back some of the texture by placing a copy 0f the original over your retouched version, setting the blend mode to Overlay and running the High Pass filter on it.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pockmarks.jpg (93.1 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 AM

As Syd already mentionned: Don't make it seem unnatural.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forhead.jpg (95.5 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:16 AM

Here's a way you can set yourself up to have an easier time of it before you get into the cloning. As Syd points out, your lights and darks are splattered all over the place, and cloning will be a pain. Here are a couple of easy steps you can take to even things out before moving in to work on the fine detail.

Dupe the image into a new layer.
Invert the layer (CMD/CNTRL I—Macs use CMD, Windows uses Control)
Open Hue/Saturation and pull the Saturation slider all the way to the left.
Set the blending mode of this layer to Overlay.
Create a layer mask filled with black to completely hide it.
Now paint white into the mask with a low opacity brush. Focus on the extrem texture areas that you want to smooth out.

When you have what looks like the best result you can obtain, copy everything into a new layer. In Photoshop 6 you'll need to create an empty layer, then go to your layer palette options and, holding down the Option key, choose Merge Visible.

Now, with this new layer, repeat the entire process.

Draw a rectangular marquee around the whole area and Copy Merged (Shift-CMD-C).
Create a new layer (with the marquee still active) and paste.
Now turn off your two overlay layers.
Set the blending mode of your latest layer to luminosity. (This will eliminate any color drifts from the overlay operation.)

It's not perfect, but it's a better place to start from. Now, instead of a minefield of random texture, you have specific points that you can zero in on and eliminate. Don't be afraid to use the clone tool with a tiny brush and attack each imperfection separately. It's time consuming, but so is everything with good retouching. There is no quick solution.

Here's the before and after using the steps above:

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/before_after.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 01:27 PM

Like others have mentioned, keep it natural. You don't want to turn a man into a woman, unless that's his request. Also, you don't need to go out and drain your wallet in the latest of version of Photoshop in order to retouch this image or similars. It doesn't matter what version you have if the skills aren't there. You can still do some advanced skin retouching even with version 3 using dodging and burning, but I wouldn't recommend you jump straight into d/b until you're very familiar with the program. Here's a technique that I used to use before the introduction of the healing tool in PS7 and before I knew about d/b.
Use the clone stamp and set its opacity and flow below 60%. Set its mode to Darken to target the lighter pixels that are 50% or lighter and clone away. After you're done with the lighter pixels, change its mode to Lighten to target the darker pixels that are 50% or darker this time to even out. Try not to go too heavy handed or you'll get that obvious smudging effect from the tool. It's easy, quick, and simple...and it should give you something to start with before you're ready to begin learning more advanced techniques.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0130pockmarks.jpg (48.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Patron

You might want to try the quick skin degrunge tutorial by Ro found at the link below. It is quick and does a good job here. I applied the process and then lowered the opacity of the degrunge layer leaving what I thought was realistic looking, however you have a great degree of lattitude. (disclainmer: did this on the road with a crappy laptop LCD display).
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sthernbelle pocks MM.jpg (75.5 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 PM

I want to thank all you for your ideas. It is so nice to find a forum where people are willing to help out to not so knowledgeable ones. I am going to try a few of the suggestions and see which works for me.
Edgework,
I have been working yours and his forehead looks much better. I have on last question for you when I am done with these steps do I flatten the image or merge visible? I am going to have to do the research to find out the difference between the two.
MisterMonday thank you as well for the tutorial I am going to check that out too.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching