RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Beauty Retouching Help

Old 09-23-2007, 06:53 AM

Re: Beauty Retouching Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslyda View Post
i would love some comments or advice on my attempt at this being as it is my first beauty retouch, much appreciated thanx.
I am starting to love this woman because of those eyes!! ha ha

From what I have learned. It looks like you used the sharpen filter on more accurate. This is generally not advised on people's skin because it brings out unflattering details. other than that looks pretty dope. If you want to step your game up - checkout all of edgework's, ant's and cainam's post and give it another try. Same for me and Ankh1. I mean it's our responsibility because that's where this thread went and we are all apart of it now.

muy bueno,

~Lan Man
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknick View Post
here's my final version.
There's still something odd about your color. The retouching is coming along nicely (I like that you kept the mole). But somehow there's a lack of the kind of color variation that makes an image really pop. And it's still feeling a bit heavy to me.

Here's an extreme move in LAB, designed to pull the colors apart. It's clearly way to much, but it's instructive in that it shows a few areas of discoloration, one, a curved shape running from the middle of her chin, up between the mole and the corner of her mouth, then up into her cheek, another along the side of her nose and the last the heavy shadow on the right side of her face (that you would expect, since RGB and CMYK shadows, by definition, tend to push neutral). I also ran shadow/highlight on the lightness channel to ease the overall heaviness, and you can see a good bit of hair remains on the side of her face.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/jacknick1.jpg

In this next version, I reduced the shadow/highlight and pulled the color shift back to a believable 15% — 20%. Compared with your original, there's just enough color variation to make a difference.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/jacknick2.jpg

Suggested retouch moves: The hairs are looking too obvious. Don't be afraid to hit them one by one with a small diameter healing brush. It sounds like a lot of work, but we're talking maybe 15 minutes. Come on, that's a small price to pay for perfection, don't you think?

Last edited by edgework; 09-23-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
i would love some comments or advice on my attempt at this being as it is my first beauty retouch, much appreciated thanx.
I think this is moving in the right direction. Two things jump out on first viewing: the pores on her cheek and right along the side of her nose are looking too obvious. They could be softened. And the edge of the main shadow, while soft, still has too small an area of transition. It could also be lightened. And there are a lot of hairs along the cheek that need to be removed. (See my previous post).

Color looks hot. A tad more cyan into the shadows might help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post
I think this is moving in the right direction. Two things jump out on first viewing: the pores on her cheek and right along the side of her nose are looking too obvious. They could be softened. And the edge of the main shadow, while soft, still has too small an area of transition. It could also be lightened. And there are a lot of hairs along the cheek that need to be removed. (See my previous post).

Color looks hot. A tad more cyan into the shadows might help.
thanx for the advice, i'll get right on it
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
one, a curved shape running from the middle of her chin, up between the mole and the corner of her mouth, then up into her cheek, another along the side of her nose and the last the heavy shadow on the right side of her face (that you would expect, since RGB and CMYK shadows, by definition, tend to push neutral).

would love to keep working on this file but i'm quite embarassed to say that i've accidentally lost my layers when saving the last jpeg to post. luckily, i didn't spend too much time on it and it was just a practice file. but still..DAMN!

as far as that discoloration, i think it must've been the d&b layer in combination with a curves contrast layer that started to bring that out. how would you avoid or fix that? i use a neutral gray layer @ soft light for DnB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 02:45 PM

i have smoothed the skin a little more so the pores on her cheek and nose are less obvious, also i have tried to make the transition of the main shadow bigger across her cheek (only my second go at dodging and burning, i find it quite difficult) as for the hairs i don't really know where to start lol, first i tried using the healing brush on the most visible ones but after half an hour of trying to make it look half decent i scrapped the idea. Comments would be appreciated thanx!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beauty_retouch.jpg (70.6 KB, 152 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
i have smoothed the skin a little more so the pores on her cheek and nose are less obvious, also i have tried to make the transition of the main shadow bigger across her cheek (only my second go at dodging and burning, i find it quite difficult) as for the hairs i don't really know where to start lol, first i tried using the healing brush on the most visible ones but after half an hour of trying to make it look half decent i scrapped the idea. Comments would be appreciated thanx!
What is your procedure for using the healing brush, and for dodging/burning?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknick View Post
would love to keep working on this file but i'm quite embarassed to say that i've accidentally lost my layers when saving the last jpeg to post. luckily, i didn't spend too much time on it and it was just a practice file. but still..DAMN!

as far as that discoloration, i think it must've been the d&b layer in combination with a curves contrast layer that started to bring that out. how would you avoid or fix that? i use a neutral gray layer @ soft light for DnB.
I don't use dodging and burning for large areas or for major shifts in value. The healing brush is far more effective at those types of gross moves. If there is a really harsh move called for, (like removing a dark piece of jewelry against pale skin) I'll bring in the cloning tool and slather some useful pixels over the offending area, until the colors are more or less in range with the surrounding area, then I'll work with the healing brush to bring in texture and create smooth transitions. That's your shovel and your sword. Dodging and burning is the scalpel. Small brush, low opacity carefully building up the effect, stroke by stroke.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
What is your procedure for using the healing brush, and for dodging/burning?
-For the healing brush i use a brush that is a similar diameter as what i want to remove, for moles/freckles and things like that where i just hover over the area and click it seems to work ok but on the hairs where i have to click then drag over the hair it doesn't seem to work so good.

-For dodge and burn i only learnt how to do this the other day from the dave hill thread here, i create a new layer and set it to overlay and click the "fill with overlay-color (50% gray)", then i use the dodge and burn tool on 5% exposure with the airbrush selected (i don't know what having the airbrush selected does as i can't notice any difference whether it's on or off , i don't know if this is a good way to dodge and burn but it seems to work ok.
Thanx for help
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2007, 03:00 PM

still trying to get better at dodge and burn but i suppose that's where the magic is, having a tablet sure helps tho
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching